Gelding... few questions

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Its best to geld when still on the mare.
They should be there by 17 months, ask your vet to have a good feel and he may find that he can find a bit to inject and then they will drop enough for a standing castration.
Otherwise its drop them, lift a leg up and yank it out.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
this time of year is ideal as its cooler to help swelling and rarely any flies
it sounds as if he may need a GA, 17months is getting on a bit for them to drop, saying that, one of ours years ago did not seem to have both at around the same age, but when the vet felt properly he could just feel it so standing castration it was

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Thats what I meannt by dropping them!

[/ QUOTE ]

ah..so you did
grin.gif

miller

Visit site
A friends pony was dropped to be gelded as testicles were intra abdominal cavity.

He was home 2 days later and apart from having fun trying to hose the wound he was fine, he was 6 at the time.

This was about 10 years ago - done at Newmarket but I've no idea of the cost.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
How risky and how expensive is that likely to be? (this is a colt I havent bought yet but I am really keen on
tongue.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

There is always a risk with GA - mind you, there's a risk doing them standing too - both in terms of the horse AND the vet!

I try to do mine while still on the dam - it's less stressful. They're done on a clean field, with a GA - never had a problem. Some we leave a bit longer to see if they're going to make stallion potential, gelding them later doesn't increase the risk although if they've become 'colty' it may make it less practical to do them standing as effective sedation requires them to be calm and remain calm while it takes effect. The last few I had done cost around £145 each - including follow up antibiotics! Some vets charge a lot more!

Alibear

Visit site
After hell YO has been in for the last god know hows long I'd say pay the few pounds for the insruance to.

Just because it's a routine operation doesn't mean it comes without risks.

Visit site
We brought a colt and had him gelded at 12 months, he was done in the field, but unfortunately three hours later his intestines fell out of the incision and we lost him. the vet was really shocked and says this rarely happens! But it can happen, if i had to do it again i would have it done at the surgery under GA!