Gelding goes mad when meeting Stallion

Hollyberry

Visit site
I have a very sensible Highland pony gelding who I ride and longline out around our narrow lanes, no problem. Recently a stallion has moved into a property fairly local to me and we have met him twice on our hacks, luckily the first time I was about to turn in my drive and I avoided direct contact but my pony got pretty het up. Second time we were further away - halfway up drive and Stallion appeared on the lane. Pony went very silly, snorting, prancing and generally not listening. It was very unnerving. I am now terrified to go out again as if we meet him on our narrow lanes it could get quite serious. The stallion is very vocal and excitable. I am surprised my pony reacted this way. Anybody else had this experience?

pennyturner

Visit site
Your pony is reacting to an exciting stimulus. No different to meeting a donkey, or a flagpole. Take charge, kick on, and back it up with the whip.

It may help to force him to trot past, not allowing him to slow down. It is easier to retain his respect and attention when you have impulsion.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Your pony is reacting to an exciting stimulus. No different to meeting a donkey, or a flagpole. Take charge, kick on, and back it up with the whip.

It may help to force him to trot past, not allowing him to slow down. It is easier to retain his respect and attention when you have impulsion.

This!

We used to have a gelding who we had to ride past a Welsh Cob stud to get to the farrier (it's a long time ago). Sometimes the stallions were out in fields at either side of the road, one on a hill above the road. the stallions both objected to us going past and to each other's noise. Gelding was almost completely unflappable but he always wanted to tiptoe past. Trotting was the best way past, neither of the stallions could reach us, it was all threats and noise, so the quicker we went past the better.
Can you get someone to walk with you for a few times, just so that your nerves don't add to the pony's excitement?

Hollyberry

Visit site
He was not just excited, he lost it and that was on his own drive. He could obviously smell the stallion. He reacts to very little out hacking, he is very sensible. My worry is that the stallion is not under complete control and passing on a narrow lane is not going to end well.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
He was not just excited, he lost it and that was on his own drive. He could obviously smell the stallion. He reacts to very little out hacking, he is very sensible. My worry is that the stallion is not under complete control and passing on a narrow lane is not going to end well.

Do you mean the stallion is being ridden or led? Or is it loose in a field beside the lane?

holeymoley

Visit site
My gelding reacts the same. I found out while being in an in hand showing class with a rather hyper stallion behind. He became and absolute lunatic, reared up for the first time in his life. Thankfully I could remove ourselves from the situation and I did as he was becoming dangerous. I assumed as my boy was gelded late it must've had something to do with that. Sorry not any help at all but can relate to what you're saying!

bonny

Visit site
It sounds like he’s scared and if the stallion reacts aggressively to a gelding then there might be not a lot you can do about it. Is there another route you can take avoiding him ?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Oh dear, very scary but honestly... how are you surprised? You might have to lead past next time and it will be hairy but he will get used to it and the stallion will eventually not care. People used to hack past our stallion all the time and he couldn't have given two tosses.

We used to have to lead stallions past other stallions on the stud. We wore a hard hat, steel toe capped boots and gloves... carried a whip. There was no alternative and each one had to learn not to be a prat on the lead. It's all snot and willy slapping when theres a fence/gate in the way, nothing but a show (different story when they accidentally get in together - now that WAS an experience never to be repeated). Horses are more than capable of manners when taught in the right way - you just have to be the boss. Look at a Spanish/Portuguese feria for example.

If you think it's more than you can handle, could you perhaps have a chat to the owner of the stallion? Maybe you could discuss her changing the stallions turnout to night-time? You never know he/she might not know he is causing such a problem and would be willing to accommodate. If it were mine, I would.

Hollyberry

Visit site
That is what I am intending to do, unfortunately there is only one route we all have to take as we live on same lane. I haven't managed to get hold of her yet but I will tactfully ask her when she is likely to be hacking out. Our lanes are so narrow I am really more worried about her horse's behaviour than mine.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
OP, you say in your 1st post that the stallion is vocal and excitable, what is it that makes you think he's going to get out of control?
I'm asking, as yrs ago one of my adjacent yards got in a right stew about a young stallion I was taking out and about, even to the point of contacting the council animal warden to try and prevent me from leaving my yard!
He was a bit chatty and sometimes shouty, but always under control, but this lady was terrified of him and any stallions, her horses reacted very badly if we met when out and about, but no others did.

I'm not saying you have similar, but are you reacting too much to a noisy young man, thus setting yours off as he's feeding confidence from you?

Edited to add, my boys were often vocal in their younger years when heading out or returning to the yard.

Clava

Visit site
Maybe if you hacked out with her both horses would not find it so exciting? I like to address any issues my horses have and sort them out head on.

Lammy

Visit site
What makes you think the young stallion is not under control? Your first post reads that it's your horse getting het up and not the other. Stallions really aren't the social pariahs people make them out to be.
Like others has said, kick on and ride past it at trot as if it isn't an issue - I have to do this with my welsh mare a lot!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We regularly meet ridden SB stallions when out hacking, neither the stallions nor our mares take any notice of each other.

It is another matter entirely when we meet the stallions being driven. That is not because the stallion is doing anything different but because one of our mares is petrified of horses being chased by a vehicle.

Snowfilly

Visit site
It really doesn't sound like the stallion is doing anything wrong? Go to any bs show and you'll find loads of stallions are gathered together and not causing any bother. I can't imagine why anyone would think she ought to ride out at a different time!

Chatting and calling doesn't mean out of control. It doesn't even mean stallion - the chattiest horse I ever rode was a connemara mare and she had to call to every other horse she ever met. Despite living out in a mixed herd, I might add! Just liked the sound of her own voice.

Put your legs on, back up with a stick if need be and ride on by.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

That is what I am intending to do, unfortunately there is only one route we all have to take as we live on same lane. I haven't managed to get hold of her yet but I will tactfully ask her when she is likely to be hacking out. Our lanes are so narrow I am really more worried about her horse's behaviour than mine.

Are you sure you are not the worried one and transmitting that to your normally sensible horse, or at least in part contributing to the situation? Has the stallion done anything for you to doubt the level of control the rider has.
TBH I would be tempted to grab her next time and ask if you can hack together and treat is as a training opportunity.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I know many stallions that compete in showing & workers & are all perfectly mannered, working ponies, well able to be with others. In fact we have one on the yard where I keep my pony.
I will say, my gelding is very intimidated by the stallion, not because of anything he has done, but I think he senses the testosterone. He's not lost his cool though, just gets a bit "Ooh er"

rara007

Visit site
As above- do you think you could ride out with her deliberately? Obviously depends on her horse too but most in work stallions will be good in company as they'll be competing or at least doing stallion the parades. If you were local I'd be happy for you to join us as long as you have basic control.