Gelding looks pregnant and not losing weight?

Tori3610

Visit site
I bought my little 15.3hh, 7yo gelding 3 months ago and when I got him he was so unfit, he looked like he was heavily in foal. Over the past 3 months I’ve built him up to now working 4 days a week for 20-30 minutes. I’ve taken a picture of his belly every month to see any progress, and it seems to have went down slightly but he still looks like a barrel. I know 3 months isn’t a very long time but is it just the shape of him or will he lose it eventually? He’s on nothing but haylage since his previous owners told me hard feed makes him loopy. I’ve added a photo of his belly when I first got him and the most recent photo.

Attachments

• AB43F01F-0745-4BBA-BC73-D068E9022D4D.jpeg
    AB43F01F-0745-4BBA-BC73-D068E9022D4D.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 4EA3B13A-EBE9-410E-8F6D-9B6FA0F45033.jpeg
    4EA3B13A-EBE9-410E-8F6D-9B6FA0F45033.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 71

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
A couple of things, can you find his ribs? They can have big rib cages, my own will look bellied regardless of condition, when fat he puts it on elsewhere.

Also 20- 30 minutes is nothing work wise unless you are working him on a gallops/high intensity in the school at that time which I suspect given the rest of your post.

Tori3610

Visit site
After three months he should be as fit as a fiddle. Why are you working him for such a short length of time?
Because if I ride him any longer than 30 minutes he starts to get bored/fidgety, plus it’s all I have time for in the evenings after work. My instructor has always said you’re better having 20 minutes of good work rather than an hour of arguing.

Leandy

Visit site
Agree with the others that that amount of work will not get him lean, mean and fit! In 3 months he could be eventing fit if you put the relevant work in, what are you actually aiming to get him fit for? On whether he is just fat or something else I think we need better pics to give any views but if you are concerned you could get a general health check from a vet or nutritionist.

Annagain

Visit site
I agree with ester - it could just be the shape he is. One of mine is all belly. If his belly looks ok, he looks quite poor elsewhere (neck, shoulders and quarters) if he looks ok elsewhere, his belly's a bit round. He's condition scored and weighed fairly regularly and we (nutritionist and I) agree he's at his best when he's got a bit of a tum. As long as he's fit enough to do the work I'm asking of him I don't worry too much about it. Can you show us a photo of him in his entirety? I'd up his work - 20-30 minutes is nothing really - my old 'retired' boy does that twice /three times a week (although just in walk.)

Fanatical

Visit site
Has he been wormed? A heavy worm burden can cause a horse to be a bit pot bellied.

Could you swap him on to hay (or even better soaked hay) instead of haylage?
Presuming he gets turnout, there is still a little goodness left in the grass and if I fed my good doer haylage he'd be huge! Haylage not so bad once there is nothing left in the grass.

mini-eventer

Visit site
He probably finds more than 30min tiring and stops concentrating because he’s not used to it. I would push for 40min once or twice per week He should get better once fitter. I would also go for some good long hacks. Up the trot and canter work that usually get the weight loss started.

Leandy

Visit site
I see you have an instructor. Wouldn't they be better placed to answer your queries than some random people on a forum? Ask your instructor to advise on diet and work and on his current state of fatness.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Because if I ride him any longer than 30 minutes he starts to get bored/fidgety, plus it’s all I have time for in the evenings after work. My instructor has always said you’re better having 20 minutes of good work rather than an hour of arguing.

Are you hacking at weekends? Good long hacks are excellent!
I would have barely warmed up in 20 minutes. Why is he bored and fidgety? Maybe ensure it doesn't get to that point. And lots of us are used to fitting it in, it wasn't unusual for me to be leaving the yard about 9ish in order to do so because the horse needed the work.

TGM

Visit site
Learn how to condition score your horse - the Blue Cross have a good guide:

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/how-body-score-your-horse

You will see from that that the size of the belly doesn't indicate what condition the horse is in - more important is whether there are fat deposits on the neck, ribs and bottom. Belly size will vary day by day and hour by hour depending on how much fibre the horse has eaten. Also horses with a naturally rounded rib cage will always look rounder than those with flatter sides - nothing you can do about that - it is down to the skeletal conformation of the individual horse. So condition score your horse properly and that will give you a better idea of whether he really is too fat or not. If he is actually too fat you have been given lots of good advice above.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
If he’s overweight drop the haylage, if there’s no medical reason why he’s having it and he’s carrying too much weight that’s be my first port of call.

If he’s arsing round after 30 mins of work I’d say that’s your cue to work him harder, not less.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
It is hard to tell from the photos but he doesn't seem to be overweight anywhere else.
Sometime coloureds are large barreled.
Also the suggestion about worms - have you covered this?
Haylage made mine balloon last winter in particular is it rye or meadow haylage - if its rye that is used to fatten cattle & as well as all the other sugar issues should be avoided.
If you can up his workload & Im sure with that & onset of winter he will start to take shape but I have read somewhere it takes far longer for them to lose weight than gain it so at least youre going in the right direction & it being winter is the best natural aid - good luck.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Just seen from your other posts that you have issues hacking out, which would explain lack of fitness.

on that basis, I wouldn’t worry too much. Just carry on with what you’re doing and work more on hacking out in the spring.

alishaarrr

Visit site
Lunging will help with fitness and quickly build good working muscle. That, in turn, will help you get more out of your rides -- the boredom or disinclination to work after 20-30 minutes of schooling may in part be due to him being tired. In a short period of time, with 1-2 lunge sessions per week he'll be able to handle more during your rides, both in time and intensity. Lunging is great for days when you're short on time after work, and you can do your rides on days when you have a bit more time (40 minutes riding would be better than 20-30 in terms of results).

Leo Walker

Visit site
I would try and up the work and definitely up the intensity. If I'm short of time I lunge mine for 15/20mins, but I do it all in trot and canter. I cross train her so she does different things of different intensities and even only working 3 or 4 times a week shes fit enough to school hard for 45 mins and trot almost all of 5 miles out hacking. Shes built up to that in about 6 weeks, and I've not been rushing or pushing her hard, just gradually upping the work as her fitness has increased.

A horse that looks in foal usually has weak abs and thats something that needs addressing. A weak core can be a major contributor to kissing spines and all sorts of other issues. Raised pole work can help, as can doing exercises in hand. A good physio or similar can show you a range of exercises both ridden and in hand. I'd definitely want a physio to give him a thorough check anyway, as he may well be carrying stiffness or soreness somewhere causing him to dip his back and not engage his cor. It would explain the saggy belly and issues with work after a short time.