gelding losing weight :(

seaview

Visit site
Hi everyone!

My 4 year old has been out on a well deserved break,

he has two rugs on him and has a constant supply of good quality haylage, he is also fed the following twice a day,

2 scoops Kwik beet
1 scoop Alfafa A (changing to ALfafa Oil this weekend when feed merchant gets it in)
1 scoop soaked oats
1 1/2 scoops of Barley,
1 mug of sunflower seeds
1 multi vitamin
(stubbs round scoop)

I bring him in regularly and take his rug off etc to check he is ok, the time before the last I was so pleased as he had a good bit of weight on but on Monday he seemed to have dropped quite a lot, however he did seem a lot bigger (as in taller)

One of the purposes of him going out, bar to chill him out as he was due a break was to get weight on him but its not working help!!!!

should I be adding oil? if so what oil and how much?

thanks in advance
smile.gif

Just want to add in that I like the straights diet and if at all possible would like to keep it similar however I am aware he is eating a considerable amount and not putting weight on, unfortunately 2 feeds is the max I can do a day!

xxx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
But the weather has been bloody awful hasn't it?? He may benefit from coming in from the rain.

A dollop of oil definately wouldn't hurt.

Rambo

Visit site
Blimey ! He's getting loads ! Bo dropped some weight last winter and we added some Calm and Condition to his feed. It did the trick. I know it's not straights, but if it works does it matter !?

As for the oil, mine both get soya oil in their feed. You can feed quite a lot to add weight too without ill effect.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Well, supposing he is wormed regularly, have a teeth check just to make sure he's not sore anywhere.
As he's only four, he could well be having a growth spurt and look like a lanky schoolboy for a couple of months but it should even itself out soon. If that is the case, you don't want to be pumping too much more into him, don't want him ending up with joint problems later on.
Is the barley micronised cos that seems to be better and the Alpha Oil should help (I'd increase that if possible) but I would put him on a balancer like Blue Chip/Top Spec, instead of your multi vitamin as that will supply all they need in the way of vit's and minerals. Does he have company, could that be bugging him or has anything happened to upset him this last week?
Sorry, more questions than answers!

Meant to say, is this his first winter mainly living out cos if that's the case, he could well be feeling cold, wet and miserable (even if dry under his rug) and nothing takes it more out of them than being cold and miserable. You could have a hot house flower on your hands that just can't cope with that lifestyle.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Could he have got cold over the weekend?? - Quickest way for a horse to drop weight I know. Know it was blowing a gale and frosty here and then wet to add to the misery. He may also have dropped a bit if he is having a bit of a growth spurt.

seaview

Visit site
This weekend the weather was horrific so he was in,

He has friends and is happy in the field,

He is due his wormer on Sat but its not overdue if you know what I mean, it could help though anyway!

Hmmm its flaked barley, whats the difference?

Will up the alfalfa oil, what would you suggest Pat?

Thanks everyone for your help so far,

xx

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
TBH, you may have answered your own question!
If he was in over the weekend that would be unusual wouldn't it so he might have fretted a bit of weight off, silly little things like that can easily upset a youngster.
I don't think there is that much difference in the barley as the one I get (if I do) is marketed as micronised flaked barley!
Another good thing for weight gain could be Bailey's No 1 which could just be added to his current ration although if you did I would cut down or cut out the barley; you don't want too much weight gaining feed. The Alpha Oil is very good if your horse doesn't like the taste of normal oil (and it smells great!)
Hope that helps!

Twiglet

Visit site
My gelding would drop weight at an alarming rate, and scared the life out of me a couple of winters ago. I started adding soya oil and have never looked back. He looks better than ever at the 'dodgy' age of 16, when a lot of others are dropping weight in this cr*p weather. He doesn't have a lot, and doesn't mind the taste, and it's one of the cheapest foodstuffs around. I highly recommend, especially for hot head types, as it's a very slow burn energy.

Sparklet

Visit site
Was he on really lush grazing over the summer - they do hold a lot of water when the grazing is good and it does make them look fatter. Perhaps he is just losing his summer podge, changing his coat and have a bit of a growth spurt.

You are certainly feeding enough to keep weight on - I would monitor it and if you are worried have a word with the vet. Could he had got a low grade virus?

seaview

Visit site
Thats the thing Pat he is not a stresser, he comes in and just tucks into his dinner as happy as larry so I dont think he was stressing, he cerainly was not on the outside, I think its like most of you have said he is possibly having a growth spurt (Grr he was supposed to be a small hunter!!!!)

So what would you all suggest to stop him growing LOL

Nat
x

Jose

Visit site
He's probably getting too much feed at once, they can only digest so much at a time the rest is probably not even being absorbed. I've found linseed very good - you can buy it ready cooked & you only have to feed small amounts i.e. up to 150 grams daily. What are the sunflower seeds being fed for?

Kelly1982

Visit site
I am having the same problem with my 4yo at the mo and i think it might be cause she is having a bit of a growth spurt.

I have put her on topspec though (she already gets alpha-a oil, speedy beat and nuts) and after a week i am starting to notice she is getting a bit more rounded.