Gelding Mounting in Season Mares and Mares reacting to him

Louisewere

Visit site
I have a young 3yo gelding whom I purchased in the spring. He was turned out with a elderly gelding and a mare. All was fine until come July the gelding started mounting the mare, quite successfully I may add. My competition mare also started reacting very silly around him, squirting, and generally acting like a woman possessed! I removed the other mare from his field and he is now just turned out with the old gelding. The mare he kept mounting has been moved to another farm, however my competition mare is still at home and in a separate field, but when we hack past the geldings field she acts like a complete hussy if that one gelding comes up to the fence. She is fine with all other geldings. Spoke to the breeder and apparently he was gelded as a yearling with no issues. Next step is blood tests from vet to ascertain if he is a rig, and whether we need to remove any remaining tissue. Has anyone every dealt with anything like this? When the gelding is split from mares he seems fine but still worries me that my mare reacts to him in that way!?

dunthing

Visit site
Our 19 year old Welsh X tried to mount a 16.2 mare several times. We were worried that her owner would be angry but she thought it was very funny. He was gelded many years prior to his boyish behaviour! Edited to say, he was 14.0.hands and couldn't quite reach!

WispyBegs

Visit site
My gelding used to mount and service the mares when turned out in his mixed herd.
I had the blood tests done and he was not a rig, just easily led on…
I controlled this with GlobalHerbs RigCalm and it worked a treat.
However, he is now in a gelding only herd which is so much more suitable, I really do recommend keeping them separated incase of injuries etc.