Geldings and intelligence, bravery and so on...

muckypony

Visit site
I used to think the same things thing I had never had a gelding before. I now have three and think that the generalisations are just that. My two little boys are so super intelligent and nothing scares them. They are so brave, I wish they were 16.2 as they would be the most incredible eventers! Haha. My other boy was cut late so perhaps that has something to do with it, but he too is very intelligent. He is brave in the sense that he will jump anything, walk past the scariest tractor etc, but it if something does worry him, he'll massively throw his toys out of the pram. He will absolutely always try 110% for me in the ring, he knows his job and he enjoys being good at it.

The bonds I have with all three are of them are no less deep than what I did with my mare. In some ways I think it's stronger if anything. It's obvious to anyone, horsey or not, that they adore me.. They are just lovely boys with huge personalities, so no, I no longer agree with the stereotypes!

dibbin

Visit site
I've always had geldings :) they've all been lovely boys, easy to bond with get along with generally. They love everyone, especially anyone who feeds them - unlike a lot of mares I've known! Both of my own horses (Dylan and Jazz) were/are sparky, intelligent, affectionate and honest. Dylan was as bold as a lion, Jazz can lack focus sometimes and needs his rider to give him confidence but he's an utter darling and tries so hard to please. Both very quick learners - the good and the bad - with very trainable attitudes.

Personally I wouldn't have a mare. I've only ever met one that turned my head enough to consider buying her. Each to their own though!