General Bit advice!

4whitesocks

Visit site
OK - my current bits (for small mouthed Sid) are borrowed from my previous YO and I need to go ahead & buy my own now so really just wondering what brands etc people recommend & what kind of money I should be paying....(and a few more questions - sorry!)....we have no bitting 'issues' as such so don't want to end up getting sucked in to spending silly money if bog standard versions are just as good!

1. Flatwork is in a full cheek French link which he's happy enough in....see no reason to change the type of bit but have seen the NS ones with the lozenge which look quite interesting? Anyone used one vs regular French link & seen any difference?
Is full cheek with link dresage legal (am presuming it is but couldn't find it on the rule book so may well be wrong - in which case what's the closest alternative?)

2. Jumping/xcountry etc. 3 ring with french link - just discovered this and am only using it on the big ring for SJ but will probably use with roundings for xcountry as I tried a regualr single joint with the roundings xcountry & it seemed to do the job but he's happier in a link.... anyway anyone got any preferences for makers of these?

Any & all opinions welcome

Ta!

druid

Visit site
Go for the Cottage craft knock off of the NS bit for schooling. I prefer double joints as they wrap around the jaw rather than nut crackering on it and possibly poking the pallette (probably if he has a little mouth!) It's definitely dressage legal for DI so I assume it would be for RC stuff too. Mine was a shade under €25

2496-m.jpg

You're only using the second ring down for both SJing and XC in the gag, right? Then I'd invest in either the NS Uinversal gag with the leather curb or a Vienna gag used in conjuction with a NS curb (The gags should be used, and are much more effective with a jaw strap/curb). Vienna (2 ring) gags are much neater than thier dutch/pessoa (3 ring) counterparts

A Vienna gag
B000EG1QRQ.01-A2ZCN192XJQMU2._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

ETA: It's possibly to get bean/french linked Vienna gags too