Genius ideas for rug storage?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Anyone got any?

At present unused turnout rugs are in large plastics B&Q tubs stacked on top of each other and although safe from spiders and mice are very hard to get rugs out of so most of the rugs don't even used. I do need to do a drastic rug cull but even with that I'd still like to tidy things up a bit and make them more accessible

So, anyone got any cunning storage methods? Pictures would be great too!

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I've got a couple of outdoor storage boxes, the kind designed to hold cushions and things. All the clean rugs are folded up and stored in them. The dirty ones are on a plastic roadworks section thing! No idea what it's called but its about 6 ft long and 3 ft high. Has feet that stand in different directions which means it can be laid flat to stack but its also free standing so the in use rugs get folded over it.

My rug collection is ridiculous! I'm lucky I have a spare stable to keep them all in.

Shavings

Visit site
i have one of these (photo)

husband is currently putting a shelf in with door on front for paddle cloths to slot in) then i open the lid and rugs go in , there is 3 dividers in there so i have turn outs, stables and then fleeces, travels boot and other crap in the last!)

i vac pack all my bugs write on the bag what they are and in they go, i even have a Edward hoover (bigger henry) at the yard the father in law gave me for vac packing, and yes on a low setting i have hoovered the horse before!

download.jpg

eggs

Visit site
I use large Homebase plastic storage boxes too. I had wooden shelving made to stack them on so there is only one box on each shelf level and each level takes three boxes. This makes it so much easier just to pull one box down rather than having to stack and unstack a load of boxes. It also helps keep the lids from splitting.

Carrottom

Visit site
I usually keep the bags they come in and put them back in those to store. I wish I was organized enough to put them back in the same ones as they usually have a picture on which would make identifying them easier. I have tried lining them up like the shelves in the tack shop but they soon end up in a pile.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I have all my rugs hung up. I inherited hook rails (best I can describe them) when I got my place. I have about 12 6inch long hooks down the side of the feed room. I fasten the breast/chest straps and hang them up by the strap. The ones used most are by the door. Its just high enough that a 6ft3 rug doesn't touch the floor.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
Until fairly recently we had 6 x horses/ponies , all with their own wardrobe collection , so that equated to a lot of rugs ! I have a hanging rug rack with 6 swinging arms , high up on outside wall but under cover , for outdoor rugs/drying off , plus 2 x bars fixed wall to wall across a building ( about 10' long ) , one high and one at waist height ( like wardrobe rails ) with rugs folded and slung over . I've tried shelves and boxes but I can never find what I want or else I 'forget' about ones that end up buried under the commonly used ones . I like to be able to see everything ! The only ones kept in boxes were the posh show rugs . To be honest I hardly keep anything in boxes - if I can't see it I forget what I've got and/or where I've put it !

Leandy

Visit site
For those who keep in boxes, ideally roll up rugs and slot in vertically if possible then you can see them all to get them out? My daughter does this with her clothes in the chest of drawers at home and I think it is brilliant, not that I have copied but I keep thinking I should!

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
i have one of these (photo)

husband is currently putting a shelf in with door on front for paddle cloths to slot in) then i open the lid and rugs go in , there is 3 dividers in there so i have turn outs, stables and then fleeces, travels boot and other crap in the last!)

i vac pack all my bugs write on the bag what they are and in they go, i even have a Edward hoover (bigger henry) at the yard the father in law gave me for vac packing, and yes on a low setting i have hoovered the horse before!

View attachment 59866

Where did you get that box from it looks great!

Had to get a rug out of the bottoms box today and in doing so discovered a few rugs I'd forgotten so definatley need to sort something.

Liking the idea of the big outdoor storage boxes too as I could probably condense rugs doen enough to just fit in one ?

I love a pulley thing a la Aus or handing racks or hooks but alas only a 8x12 storage room which is a feed room too and 5 ponies worth of rugs to store ?

Shavings

Visit site
Where did you get that box from it looks great!

Had to get a rug out of the bottoms box today and in doing so discovered a few rugs I'd forgotten so definatley need to sort something.

Liking the idea of the big outdoor storage boxes too as I could probably condense rugs doen enough to just fit in one ?

I love a pulley thing a la Aus or handing racks or hooks but alas only a 8x12 storage room which is a feed room too and 5 ponies worth of rugs to store ?
It’s a roadies box originally you can buy them new but that’s sickening prices!! I just approached a local lighting entertainment company or even a place that puts on pantos they get rid of them quiet often and normally they are still in great nick, ours just needed a wheel screwing back in to it, appenterly just don’t have a long use life as they have to be strong to protect the £1000s worth of equipment in them.
So see who’s local to you and give them a shout, they come in smaller and bigger sizes ?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I have 2 rug rails on a pulley system at the back of my stable for rugs in current use. My tack cupboard at the yard stores a couple of emergency rugs in the bags that they came in.
At home, the cupboard under the stairs is designated for clean rugs in bags, stacked in piles according to type.
Now that I'm down from 3 horses to one, unused rugs were taken to the tack shop second hand department, which has been brilliant at selling them for a good price. All those unused rugs stopped me from finding the rugs that I actually need.
The problem with rugs, is that they take up a lot of space whichever system you choose.

hobo

Visit site
Old chest freezer and one of those outdoor garden boxes another purchase by OH from his monthly junk sales never sure if he buys these things for me but anything like that I always pinch!! The garden box is superior to the old freezer as it has hinges that still work and stop lid falling on my head when I dive in.

scats

Visit site
I just use those big garden chest things. I store them in our large barn and have one for outdoor rugs and one for stable rugs. In spring and autumn, I bring out the appropriate summer or winter rugs and store the rest away. The rugs I’m using go on a variety of rug racks in my barn (I have a barn of 6 stables with just me in it, so I have somewhat taken over!)
I also have a chest freezer for storing fly rugs and thinner sheets.

Palindrome

Visit site
The original bags of my rugs have broken, some rugs were hands me down so no bag. I use grocery store "bags for life" type bags (each can fit 2 folded rugs). I bought an old second hand large wooden wardrobe and store the bags and my tack in there. No mice here but if there is a possibility of them then something like a chest freezer is better.

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
I have gone for a wheelie bin plastic storage box as it opens at the top and the front so being only short I should be able to get things out of there ? Might need to fashion a shelf or something in it but hopefully will do the job.

I have a lot of the rug bags still but now looking for rug storage or vacuum pack bags to help keep things tidy and easy to find ?