Gentle Detangler Spray...

horsey_jo

Visit site
Hi all.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on homemade detangle sprays or types of branded sprays that are gentle?
I am very cautious about spraying chemicals on my horses, particularly soft skinned arab beasties.
Any thoughts?

I only use johnsons baby shampoo on my nags manes/tails at the moment.

SpruceRI

Visit site
I find 'Canter Mane & Tail' to be the best, but only use it on manes and tails.... none of my neds has ever had a reaction to it.

The_Hooligan

Visit site
They are horses not babies, you will do more harm than good using products that are not designed for them. horses should not be wrapped up and pandered over!

Tinypony

Visit site
Equine America Magic Sheen, and use your fingers, not a brush or comb.
I use it on my not-so-fragile Arab, but the true impact was seen when I used it on my hairy pony. :)

Batgirl

Visit site
Water down human conditioner and put in a spray bottle, I don't do it to be gentle but 'tis cheap and I use lemony one so less flys :)

you can pick a gentle one

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I put oil (Olive, baby or pig oil ) on my hands and rub it through. Detangles and makes tails and manes silky soft. Very cheap too.

millreef

Visit site
They are horses not babies, you will do more harm than good using products that are not designed for them. horses should not be wrapped up and pandered over!

Thanks for asking this horsey_jo as I have an Anglo Arab who's coat I don't want to spoil but detanglers are not always consistant. Some good suggestions too from the folks of H&HO (as usual).
The_Hooligan, the post was asking for advice not your personal opinion - I think she had a fair question and sometimes it's better not to say anything. Let's not get nasty for no reason eh?

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
On the cob who has a very thick mane and tail and his hair goes into little spirals, I use baby oil, put a little bit on the mane and tail and come through, it makes it gleam like plastic and detangles lovely, I do this before shows and hunting too

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
i have tried various ones in the past, but have just bought the gold label one, i find it works really well, not too strong but does the job, and much cheaper too!

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Have tried alot but always come back to Canter Mane and Tail, but might well be trying some of the other suggestions on here now

stroppymare153

Visit site
use a good quality human shampoo and conditioner for damaged hair - follow it up with a heat protection spray too. All the detanglers contain various sorts of silicones (eg dimethicone) - just like human hair products (which will have undergone a lot more irritancy testing than animal products so are probably less likely to cause a reaction). Don't go daft and use salon brands they are mostly lovely perfumes and beautiful packaging rather than more effective products - Elvive, Pantene, Dove etc don't spend millions on research for nothing!! :D

Last edited:

Janette

Visit site
But when you can get 2 huge bottles of tresemme for under a fiver......... :D

The 'standard' tresemme (as opposed to the shampoo for greasy/coloured/dry/dull hair) is amazing at getting dirty horses clean and getting yellow tails, white again!

Last edited: