Gentle warning if you have a dog

Clannad48

Visit site
Gentle warning if you have a dog and shop at Sainsbury's. They are sending out treat boxes which contain chocolate coins and 'gold pearl' cake decorations. Luckily we have an outside on the wall letterbox otherwise the dog would have destroyed the packaging and eaten the edibles.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Last edited:

Clannad48

Visit site
I knew I had seen in on here somewhere. Yep still doing it - so much fr their 'making sure it doesn't happen again' especially as we purchase dog food, biscuits and the like from them. We are lucky in that our postman knows we have a dog and puts our mail into the 'on the outside wall' postbox but if it was another postie it would have come through the letterbox - we have a beagle who can smell chocolate a mile away :)

I've sent a letter of complaint to Sainsbury's and posted a warning on Bookface and on a couple of forums I belong to.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Can't speak for anyone else, but the JRT ignores all normal post. However, if he were to detect chocolate in it, he'd do his nut trying to access it. Our post box is outside the front gate, but sometimes whoever brings it in to the house puts the post down somewhere he could get to it. It's not on our radar that he may shred the post!

It's been pointed out to Sainsbury's before that their offer can cause problems, so it's pretty silly of them to keep on with it. I'd rather have money off coupons than some silly gimmicky gift anyway!

Clannad48

Visit site
Can't speak for anyone else, but the JRT ignores all normal post. However, if he were to detect chocolate in it, he'd do his nut trying to access it. Our post box is outside the front gate, but sometimes whoever brings it in to the house puts the post down somewhere he could get to it. It's not on our radar that he may shred the post!

It's been pointed out to Sainsbury's before that their offer can cause problems, so it's pretty silly of them to keep on with it. I'd rather have money off coupons than some silly gimmicky gift anyway!

Our dog also ignores all other post but chocolate is such a pull to him - I appreciate that some people think that I am whinging about nothing but this is my dog and chocolate will kill him - all because of an advertising ploy.

Clannad48

Visit site
Update: email response from Sainsbury's contains the following:

However, We know chocolate with a high cocoa content is unsafe for pets to eat. This is why we had measures in place to safeguard against pet owners receiving this promotion. Our gift box contains 3 small, milk chocolate, which has a low cocoa content. We took expert advice and confirmed that this type of chocolate does not pose a risk to dogs.