Genuine question ...

maletto

Visit site
My horse is missing half an ear due to a field accident. he wears ears so I don't have to explain to every person I meet out competing/training why he looks deformed :(

JustMe22

Visit site
I want to try a pair on mine - he's very noise sensitive and I think they may help. In winter he also gets raw patches behind his ears. I've tried 4 bridles, tried a sheepskin cover for the poll piece, tried a gel headpiece. Nothing seems to make any difference so ears are my next thing!

DD

Visit site
I am old enough to remember when a sheepskin noseband was a fashion accessory because Red Rum wore one. Also hackamores because a showjumper whoes name escapes me hasd one and Raymond Brooks Ward banging on about how severe they could be and were not for children to copy for there ponies every time show jumping was on thew telly. So fashion accessories arnt anything new. I use the ear bonnets to keep flies away and muffle noise, verey good when hacking youngsters.

Visit site
My horse is missing half an ear due to a field accident. he wears ears so I don't have to explain to every person I meet out competing/training why he looks deformed :(

We have a horse in the yard who races in a hood purely for cosmetic reasons - he only has 1 ear! He tore the other one off in an accident in a horse walker long before we got him. It looks so weird! Especially when he wiggles the wee bit thats left! But he loves having his tiny wee stump scratched and he is not at all head shy. He wears one riding out in the worst of the weather to stop it going inside his ear but it really doesn't bother him.

Eta by hood I mean the full ears and face covering version not the Wee bonnets.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Flies & noise deadening for me. Loan pony was terrified of the noise boat engines make, not useful when your best hacking is along a river. Ears helped her a lot.
Current pony is spooky & anything that helps deaden scary noises is gladly welcomed.
I also buy bright vivid colours as they make us more visible when out & about.

Oh, and I do love a bit of matchy.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I've got a few pairs of ears some matching with my LeMieux saddle pads, mainly for flies in the summer. I'm happy with my choices of horsewear and can't be bothered to be judgmental about those of others unless it was detrimental to the well being of the horse.

wiglet

Visit site
My horse wears fly veils in the summer to keep flies out of her ears. In the winter, when the colder weather makes her sharp, I use them to muffle noises. I have loads and in all colours with bandages and saddlecloths to match. They are very expensive. I like them, I can afford them and they harm nobody. No idea why anyone would have a problem with this - each to their own.

Kat

Visit site
Mine is a bit headshakerish but is worse in a fly bonnet. She is better with a field fly mask which incorporates ears over her bridle so we do that. Would prefer pretty ears though!

Abi90

Visit site
I have a couple and I haven't really used them but I like them and think they look smart, they don't harm anyone so why not!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I find them weird personally, I understand using them if its to stop flies (but then Im very rarely at events where flies are that bad) and totally understand if people use them to keep ear plugs in for example. But otherwise, surely its just a fashion thing. I cant be bothered personally, I prefer to use as minimal tack as possible, these just seem very faffy!

Mildlander

Visit site
I used them on one of mine who was noise sensitive - he reacted to motorbikes, heavy vehicles from a distance even if they weren't actually on the same road as us! it made hacking him out especially on his own a more relaxed experience for both of us especially when he was being rehabbed after a tendon injury and doing the road work in walk for weeks. Unfortunately the tendon went again so he is spooking around that great paddock in the sky and I have a redundant set of padded ears!

Ben2684

Visit site
I've never really had to use them, until I bought B. He is extremely sensitive to the flies, even one causes him to shake his ears and I've found the only way to stop it is to have him in a bonnet. And this is from about March! I have to admit I do have one 'matchy' one but I actually do t like them personally. It just keeps him happier. Went to a clinic yesterday, it was autumnal and cloudy, but a couple of times he shook his ears so on it went. In the height of summer he would be unrideable I think if I were to not use one

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I've got a few pairs of ears some matching with my LeMieux saddle pads, mainly for flies in the summer. I'm happy with my choices of horsewear and can't be bothered to be judgmental about those of others unless it was detrimental to the well being of the horse.

My horse wears fly veils in the summer to keep flies out of her ears. In the winter, when the colder weather makes her sharp, I use them to muffle noises. I have loads and in all colours with bandages and saddlecloths to match. They are very expensive. I like them, I can afford them and they harm nobody. No idea why anyone would have a problem with this - each to their own.

Indeed....

I am genuinely baffled by people that give a damn what anyone else puts on their horse. Before this thread and the matchy one I didn't even realise that being judgemental about ear bonnets was even a thing. I can only imagine that you must be pretty angry in general if you can manage to take offence at someone else using an ear bonnet on their horse

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Has anyone taken offence at the use of ear bonnets? Thinking that the coloured ones look a bit daft is rather different to getting angry about them.

FWIW, I have used ear covers in black and brown to match the neds, and have recently got some in hi viz. I wouldn't care to have some in teal, though :).

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Has anyone taken offence at the use of ear bonnets? Thinking that the coloured ones look a bit daft is rather different to getting angry about them.

FWIW, I have used ear covers in black and brown to match the neds, and have recently got some in hi viz. I wouldn't care to have some in teal, though :).

The thing is this type of question in my experience is pointed, and is exactly why the title is 'Genuine question' because that is exactly what it isn't. This is the type of thing yard gossips and busy bodies concern themselves with making life uncomfortable for those around them. Maybe I'm just jaded from being on yards that have had this element.

P.s. I have matching Lemieux pad and ears in teal :D :D

wiglet

Visit site
The thing is this type of question in my experience is pointed, and is exactly why the title is 'Genuine question' because that is exactly what it isn't. This is the type of thing yard gossips and busy bodies concern themselves with making life uncomfortable for those around them. Maybe I'm just jaded from being on yards that have had this element.

HaHa!! This reminded me of when I first began my matchy collection. The yard bit*h told me she didn't know why I had to have matchy because it doesn't make you ride any better. I rolled my eyes and told her - Of course it doesn't - if that was the case, even she'd buy some. She never questioned me again :D

Mrs B

Visit site

P.s. I have matching Lemieux pad and ears in teal :D :D

Gee thanks, SbtS! How else would you like me to have phrased it?

I really, really can't be arsed to be pointed - if I have something to say, I say it. If I have something to ask, I ask it. Generally on yards, I keep myself very much to myself unless asked for help or advice.

I was curious as to why an increasing amount of people use bonnets. And there have been a variety of helpful answers, beyond the 'flies and noise' explanation, for which I thanked everyone.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

I really, really can't be arsed to be pointed - if I have something to say, I say it. If I have something to ask, I ask it. Generally on yards, I keep myself very much to myself unless asked for help or advice.

I was curious as to why an increasing amount of people use bonnets. And there have been a variety of helpful answers, beyond the 'flies and noise' explanation, for which I thanked everyone.

TBF, I didn't read your OP as anything other than a genuine question :)
It's some of the responses that I find rather baffling.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

If you say so. I don't know you but I can't see what other response you would have had as that's what they are for so wouldn't even ask the question. To me it's like saying why do people use reins? The answer is already obvious.

Mrs B

Visit site
If you say so. I don't know you but I can't see what other response you would have had as that's what they are for so wouldn't even ask the question. To me it's like saying why do people use reins? The answer is already obvious.

Ok ... I'll break it down for you.

I know what they are called. Until fairly recently, I hardly saw them in use apart from occasionally when watching showjumping. I guessed at what they were designed to do.

I've noticed that many more people in all disciplines and with all types of horses are using them from photos on here, so therefore the obvious question, to me at least, is 'Why?'.

Is there something people have discovered they're useful for, aside from their original purpose?

And the answer is yes, for some and they explained ... things like extra high-viz spots and to stop bridle rubs. And others use them because they like the way they look.

Not quite sure why my question has raised your hackles, but it seems to have done.

Casey76

Visit site
I use a bonnet because my mare is very sensitive to flies (and we have some very nasty bitey black flies which love ears here), despite the fact that she has full ear fluff I can't get any sense out of her trying to school (or hack) without her ears covered.

Now, if I can buy bonnets to match my saddle cloths that's a bonus ;) otherwise they both wear black ones and you can't tell they have them on.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Ignoring the on-going debate about whether it's fashionable or not (because I really don't give a stuff), I have been considering some as noise suppressant for my noise-sensitive horse and am interested to read that others have had success doing so. My horse is far more upset by odd noises (and shooting etc) than by anything visual so anything that would help him relax would be welcome. However, I'm slightly conflicted as he is also a t*t when he can't hear things properly because of the wind!

So it will be an experiment and, as to colour, my choice will probably be whatever's cheapest!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Ignoring the on-going debate about whether it's fashionable or not (because I really don't give a stuff), I have been considering some as noise suppressant for my noise-sensitive horse and am interested to read that others have had success doing so. My horse is far more upset by odd noises (and shooting etc) than by anything visual so anything that would help him relax would be welcome. However, I'm slightly conflicted as he is also a t*t when he can't hear things properly because of the wind!

So it will be an experiment and, as to colour, my choice will probably be whatever's cheapest!

It's not like the can't hear over the wind sensation....they can still hear well enough, I think it just takes some of the presence out of the sounds - definitely worth a try

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ok ... I'll break it down for you.

I know what they are called. Until fairly recently, I hardly saw them in use apart from occasionally when watching showjumping. I guessed at what they were designed to do.

I've noticed that many more people in all disciplines and with all types of horses are using them from photos on here, so therefore the obvious question, to me at least, is 'Why?'.

Is there something people have discovered they're useful for, aside from their original purpose?

And the answer is yes, for some and they explained ... things like extra high-viz spots and to stop bridle rubs. And others use them because they like the way they look.

Not quite sure why my question has raised your hackles, but it seems to have done.

Because they have been made competition legal .thats why you see more .

huskydamage

Visit site
I always thought they were silly, but I got one for my new horse who has ear plaques as I thought it might help with midges, I tried to get the most discreet coloured one possible and it still looked stupid and it fell off. So I ditched it. But hey if people want them for no practical reason then they think it looks cool, who cares. I bought a breastplate for the same reason.

Mule

Visit site
I love them :D I bought them because of flies but now they are purely for matchy matchy purposes. Also the mules ears don't look as big in them :lol: