Geoff Update: Some HHO vibes would be much appreciated!

khalswitz

Visit site
Geoff has been in a fitness program for the new season, has been going ace - looks like a totally different horse. We'd been planning our events for the season, and were very excited.

Today, I arrived at the yard to find my boss with the tractor taking the trailer into the field. Geoff had gotten both back legs stuck in the fence, which she'd managed to cut him free, but the wire has sliced around the outside of his cannon, right up around the holland round the inside of the gaskin.

He has severed his extensor tendon so his fetlock has curled up and he can't straighten it - so he keeps falling when he tried to walk and his fetlock gets in the way. More scarily, the wire has cut into both the cannon bone and the tibia, which the vet says has a 50/50 chance of causing the bone to die off. Vet spent two hours here cleaning it out, clamping the cut arteries, and trying to patch him together.

Thankfully he is insured, but we won't know whether the bone has survived for a wee while yet - it's getting xrayed tomorrow, but it will need re xrayed in a few weeks. The extensor tendon thankfully is the best one to have severed - from that, he could make a full return to work, and the other tendons all seem intact. It's the bone, and the risk of infection, that is now the worry.

I've been told it's a six month recovery even if all goes well, which is far from guaranteed, so, whilst it's the last thing to worry about, that is our season over before it has begun :(

Geoff would love some HHO vibes, please!!!!!!

I'm so worried. My poor boy. He's standing just now leaning against the back of the stable looking shattered :(

I'll offer coffee and scones in return!! Xx

avthechav

Visit site
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear this! What a horrid freak thing to happen, bloody horses! Nothing constructive to add other than lots of healing vibes and my fingers crossed for Geoff.

be positive

Visit site
Sending lots of vibes, that sounds horrific poor Geoff just as everything was going so well with your plans for the season, I hope the next few days go well as I guess that is the critical time for him and will be thinking of you both xxx

Sheep

Visit site
Oh my goodness :( poor Geoff and poor you. What a horrible thing to happen. Fingers tightly, tightly crossed for you both, for a speedy recovery and a good outcome. xx

khalswitz

Visit site
Thank you all so much. Right now am more worried about whether he's going to be ok than am worried about missing this season, but I'm sure that will hit later. He looks much happier now the sedation has worn off, and he is happily munching on the bale we've put outside his stable for him to help himself to, and is weight bearing on that leg to rest the other one. In just keeping fingers crossed that everything starts to heal over the next week or so. If it does, we can worry about what life is like without an extensor tendon after that!!!!

Thanks for the vibes, I really really appreciate them. Xx

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Oh no poor Geoff, I'm glad he's perked up a bit though. How did he manage to get his legs in the fence, and what fencing was it if you don't mind me asking?

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
There is something awry with the universe ..today I have encountered many horrid occurrences and I am so sorry about your boy...have tons of <<<<<vibes>>>>>> from me.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Poor Geoff hope all goes well. Just focus on each stage not the big picture. My old horse had a similar incident a couple of years ago, but managed to come away with nothing but superficial damage, but I was a mess so I can't imagine how you must feel <<<<vibes>>>

khalswitz

Visit site
Thank you all so much - I can't tell you how much it means to have this support and vibes!!!

Oh no poor Geoff, I'm glad he's perked up a bit though. How did he manage to get his legs in the fence, and what fencing was it if you don't mind me asking?

We don't know how he managed it. He was out overnight, and we didn't see it happen (must have been there a few hours by the state of him we think).

Our fields are walled by drystone dykes, and the fencing is just to the inside of the walls to stop them jumping them. It's three strand high tensile wire, the top strand is designed to be connected to the mains but we'd switched it off as a tree had come down in another field on the grid and the fencing needed fixed.

He had got his legs over the second top strand of wire (very high!), and then his near hind had it wrapped around - he must have gotten it over again, although it completely baffles us as to how, as the wire was super tight. However, being so tense, when he wrapped it round his leg and struggled (the ground is properly chewed up and he was dripping so must have properly fought it) it just bit into him.

The other hind just has surface scrapes all over it, but it just got caught in the fence not wrapped in it.

He's in a proper foot to stifle bandage, done to support his fetlock where he can't extend it, as well as protect all the wounds.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Poo Geoff and poor you! At least he is feeling a bit less sorry for himself now and he has had excellent treatment by the sound of it. Sometimes no matter what we do to keep them safe, they have other ideas!

Sending loads of <<<<<<<<Vibes>>>>>>>>> for you both.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
massive hugs for you and healing vibes for Geoff. That sounds like a real freak accident. Will keep everything crossed for him.

khalswitz

Visit site
Thanks so, so much. Am so full of nervous energy - supposed to be writing a case study on a stud farm but just can't concentrate.

And, quite honestly, I'm a bit teary from all the support on here and on FB...

Here's the promised pics:

Geoff's bandage:
05193B3F-5A4F-4A85-8355-BA6D08D82100.jpg

Looking chuffed that he's got the whole bale! Even stopped leaning on the back wall to eat:
5FF7F639-7E5F-4454-B462-0E78FB6054FE.jpg

Him back in early Jan when he had an abscess, too tired to get up (can you see how much he'd been beefing up!!):
74F383C5-BD94-4A65-BC4D-DAF699FB6E77.jpg

The snow that has only just melted from up here:
290DA77A-30EF-420B-8787-C6C25262961A.jpg

7AA83D12-6B5F-49D7-BB72-2CAF16E032BA.jpg

Last edited: