Geoff update: the end of the road.

khalswitz

Visit site
Hi all. I know it's been a while since I updated last with Geoff's condition. Up til now, he's been just tootling along, been turned out, wound not quite healed but getting there.

Today I got a phonecall from my yard owner saying he looked very unhappy and very lame. Went up to the yard, and he was breathing very rapidly and heavily, and walking on three legs. The wound seemed fine, the leg wasn't swollen. I wondered at first if he was colicking, or tying up, but it didn't fit the symptoms.

Vet came out, and we decided to X-ray the leg, worried maybe he had done something stupid and fractured the leg. He hadn't, but it turned out the bone injury had never healed, and had sequestered. Unfortunately, without thousands of pounds more surgery, and six months or more of box rest, there was nothing we could do.

He got a mouthful of fresh grass before he went, and gave me a long cuddle. But, unfortunately, he's gone.

I don't really need to say how special he was. Even the vet said he was a wonderful, genuine, one-of-a-kind horse. I know we did all we could, gave him a fighting chance, and I also know that today was the first day I've seen him really unhappy since he first injured himself. So whilst I'm broken hearted, I know we did all we could.

I regret that he never did get to event after all that trying. But he taught me so much, and gave me so much confidence. I'm going to miss him so, so, so much: the way he Neighs to me every time he sees me, the way he cuddles me, the way he could be so daft but was so brilliant in a crisis. I can't imagine hacking down a main road, past cars, lorries, motorbikes, tractors, trailers, snowplows and bicycle pilotons on any other horse.

But I'm so, so glad he's not in pain any more.

Sheep

Visit site
I am so, so sorry to read this, he was a real HHO horse, I know myself and many others enjoyed following your progress with him, and sharing your ups and downs. Rest in peace Geoff, and please look after yourself khalswitz. I am sure you are heartbroken. In time you will be able to look back on your posts on here about him and relive your wonderful memories. I will miss reading about him! Big hugs xx

PolarSkye

Visit site
Oh no! I am so very sorry to read this - as Sheep said, he was a real HHO horse and I loved reading your updates on him. There's no doubt he was so very loved, right up to the very end, and he definitely knew that.

Please look after yourself - you did a very brave, loving and selfless thing.

Much love.

P xx

be positive

Visit site
So sorry to read this, he was from the sound of things a real character and certainly a HHO horse, you must be gutted for it to turn out this way but know you did all you could for him, putting him through an op and more box rest with possibly a poor outcome would not have been in his best interests so you made the right choice, lucky boy having an owner like you.
Look after yourself x

RIP Geoff

Crazydancer

Visit site
We found my mare's leg had sequestered about a year ago with the same result - she only had 6 weeks of fighting. I can only imagine how you feel after trying so hard for him for so long. I had lurked and followed your progress..... so very, very sorry to hear the outcome. Good on you for giving him every chance, RIP Geoff xxx

j1ffy

Visit site
So sorry to read this. He was a beautiful horse and, as others have said, it was great following your progress on HHO. Big hugs to you, RIP Geoff.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am so sorry to read that all your struggles came to nothing, it certainly wasn't for want of trying.

When you are ready, there are other horses out there who will hack along busy roads, so there may well be one who is just what you are looking for.

Firewell

Visit site
Oh no!!! You poor poor thing, I hope you are ok. So devastating, life can be so cruel. You gave him everything you could, beautiful brave Geoff. The special ones become our dear friends don't they.
I know exactly the pain you feel right now, most of us on here do. Just know you did the right thing and in time you will be able to look back and cherish your memories of him.
I do think there is no greater honour for a horse than to be adored by their owner, it shows their worth when they are able to make someone so happy. Geoff was a lucky boy to have you as his friend and he went to heaven cherished, no horse could ask for more.

View

Visit site
So sorry to read this.

You did everything you could for him, and made the decision to show him the final act of kindness we all owe.

As you say, he is in no pain.

Now please be kind to yourself.

numptynoelle

Visit site
I'm not sure if I've commented on your threads before (usually a lurker on C&T), but your posts about Geoff were always ones I looked forward to. He had a wonderful life with you and it's clear you adored each other. I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope you can take comfort in the fact that you've done everything in your power for him, no-one could have asked for more x