Geoff Update: Two Lessons and a Bit of Bouncing

khalswitz

Visit site
Since our last update things have gone a bit strangely. Geoff, who was loving his dressage and doing respectably at Prelim BD with a few respectable outings at Novice unaff, has suddenly turned into a proper little jumper! The bit change that was recommended at BRC Area Camp has completely transformed us both - I've never felt so with him, and suddenly we both trust each other - even on bad strides or angles, which was never an option before without me jumping alone.

However, when we had a dressage lesson with the instructor we get monthly clinics with (but haven't seen since March due to alternate illness of instructor and abscess of horse) we got a bit of a shock.

It started off with a very moody Geoff. The normally bombproof hack was rearing in the road with me, refusing to walk past a horse-eating bush. He was also doing impressive gymnastic displays - leaping and turning like a ballerina on a rugby pitch. So we arrived with me already very grumpy and Geoff very tense.

It got worse. Geoff decided today was Argument Day and that contact was optional. He does have days when he decides to be a giraffe still, not very often nowadays, but being a very opinionated and strong willed individual when he's decided that's what he's doing, it does become a battle. So we had major contact issues, and I got a telling off for not having worked enough on flexion - it was very telling, and I knew myself the last few tests had commented on lack of longitudinal suppleness. So was frustrated with myself, frustrated with Geoff, and frustrated that my instructor was frustrated with both of us!! So have been very dedicated to the inside and outside flexion on a circle exercises, and the give-and-retake, and the shoulder-in and walk-to-canter exercises she gave me to try and improve things a bit for next time she sees us!!

We were supposed to be doing BD, but our outing was cancelled due to lack of judges. Next month, we have planned another BD, with hopefully our first aff Novice, as well as riding for our RC Team at Area Qualifiers, and a Combined Training at the end of the month (for which we are only able to enter the Novice) so I'm planning on lots of work on his way of going and things before then, as that lack of suppleness and throughness, and the occasional contact issues, are our biggest issues and the main killer of our scores, so looking to work to improve that before then.

We also had a pole work lesson on Friday. Which, conversely (and possibly due to the stretching work we'd been doing in between) went really well. We worked on shortening and lengthening the poles in the trot, and for the first time since I've had him, Geoff was able to really lift and power through the lengthened distances rather than rush and fall over them. Felt awesome, and gives me hope that the medium trot still has potential to come!!

The canter work however was a little lacking. He has a tendency to just flop round without fully using his back end and the canter ends up lacking power. He has a huge stride, but rather than shorten it he just loses power. So we walked him into the canter poles, and asked for walk-to-canter over the first pole. Created a much nicer, neater canter, and rode really nicely over the raised poles too.

So, we decided to be brave and nip off for some SJ. Yes, the jumping had been going great at home - we'd been working from the book of jumping exercises Lolo got us for Secret Santa, and he was managing jumping on a circle, jumping on serpentines, angling fences, and jumping really consistently at 80-90cm - but would the atmosphere and being in the ring revert me back to my silly defenceless riding?

When we arrived, it didn't help that the warm-up was set up differently. Instead of an indoor warmup with the full outdoor for jumping, they had sectioned off a 18x30 section of the outdoor for warming up. Trying to jump a 17hh excitable horse in a tiny warm up surrounded by whizzy ponies was my idea of hell. We couldn't even keep canter to turn after the fence, as the mooting block and the ring entrance were in the two corners! It was a nightmare.

However he warmed up really well despite this! Took him in for the 60cm, and he just loved it - ears forward, taking me to fences. I kept telling myself to sit and not try to force strides with him, just to keep my leg on and not over-hold him. We just sailed round for a clear. In the jump off, I started to feel him giving the jumps less clearance - Mum, 60 is very small! - but we did make it round clear, and got some lovely tight turns in as he was on the ball and listening, and he offered a few flying changes too! We ended up placing 2nd :D

Go right for the 60cm: http://www.onlinepictureproof.com/kimmassonphotography/albums/shows/426904/browse/72/?w=800&h=436
And the j/o: http://www.onlinepictureproof.com/kimmassonphotography/albums/shows/426904/browse/87/?w=800&h=436

In the 70, he jumped much better - picking himself up a bit more. We got another clear, but I turned into a numpty in the jump off, where I went for the tight run from 4 to 6, but somehow forgot which jump I was aiming for, looked to 7, and thought, no, I'm sure I jumped this from the other direction. I had to circle, gaining four faults, and lots of time. Stupid!!! We ended up placing fourth out of the four through to the jump-off as he also had a pole at on oxer, but he came in on a bad stride, and I made myself not interfere as I know he gets upset about bad strides, and let him sort himself. He decided to chip in and got a bit close, taking the back bar, but for him not to refuse on a bad stride was awesome so I'm very pleased. Gutted about my mistake though as even with his four faults we'd have had 2nd place if I hadn't been a numpty!!

The 70: http://www.onlinepictureproof.com/kimmassonphotography/albums/shows/426904/browse/120/?w=800&h=436
And the j/o: http://www.onlinepictureproof.com/kimmassonphotography/albums/shows/426904/browse/145/?w=800&h=436

I watched them putting up the 80, and thought it looked really do-able, and very nearly went back to enter for that too - but decided four rounds and a hack either way was enough for one day, I didn't want to push too hard on our first ever GREAT SJ outing. But have decided next time we'll do the 70 and 80 instead :)

Having sort of put my SJ demons to one side now (we CAN do it!) I've decided that maybe I was a little rash in deciding not to worry about trying to get him eventing this year. If the SJ keeps going well, then we are aiming for our first Combined Training next month, an Arena Event and a unaff ODE the next, with the possibility of our first inviting BE80 in september (my birthday weekend) if all goes to plan. Been chatting with my instructor and if he keeps going like this its totally doable - we just need more XC training, esp over ditches which are his Achilles heel, and to get ourselves happy at 80-90cm jumping, which we seem on our way to being!

So very happy update :)

Offers of spag bog and Rioja (obv for those old enough to legally drink it ;) )

spookypony

Visit site
What a peculiar-sounding warmup situation! Was the indoor being used for something else? Sounds like you're making good progress though, despite the longitudinal hiccups! :D

PaddyMonty

Visit site
All sounds to be going in the right direction :) Good news about the SJ. Sure the DR will come good again once you focus back on it. Trying to fit in all 3 disciplines must be quite tricky.

khalswitz

Visit site
What a peculiar-sounding warmup situation! Was the indoor being used for something else? Sounds like you're making good progress though, despite the longitudinal hiccups! :D

Not that I was aware of - it did seen very strange!! However it meant Geoff got a chance to 'settle' in the outdoor before going in to jump so was probably a good thing for him really :)

I was so frustrated because it's something I know I should have been working away on and got a bit caught up with working for relaxation and good accurate transitions that I let it slide... But at least it's something to work away on.

All sounds to be going in the right direction :) Good news about the SJ. Sure the DR will come good again once you focus back on it. Trying to fit in all 3 disciplines must be quite tricky.

I'd much rather lose the DR for a little while and have got our jumping mojo back than have to give up jumping completely (which was where we were heading). Now instructor has suitably grilled me I have our DR exercises to work away on so hopefully well get back on track with that :) didn't help not seeing my DR instructor for three months!! But were booked in again in early July so will hopefully be able to report improvements then :)

Lolo

Visit site
:D I love how every report gets more and more positive- this is the turning year for you two it seems! He's going to be a really awesome horse and it'll be all because of your hard work :)

khalswitz

Visit site
:D I love how every report gets more and more positive- this is the turning year for you two it seems! He's going to be a really awesome horse and it'll be all because of your hard work :)

I really hope so!! I feel like I've got him on side this year (mostly, he does still like to remind me that he has a choice in the matter!). And feeling all that power being used in the direction I aim it rather than against me is lovely.

I think a very big part of it is all the help I've had - on here and from instructors. Without that is have given up on him last year! And I'd have given up on the jumping too if my instructor hadn't told me to just persevere quietly at home. Between you and Al's advice, and the two instructors I use it's been a case of 'don't worry it'll come' every time we've hit problems and it is so reassuring to be told that by people who know. I can actually start to see us getting out eventing now (my instructor is completely convinced he'll be able to nip round a BE80 by the end of the season) which is just lovely.

And funnily enough, were getting on better on the ground too. He was never an affectionate horse at all, and quite standoffish - didn't like being groomed etc. now, he comes up to say hi in the field, and Neighs to me over his stable door (even when there is no food involved), and if I sit in his stable for a bit he comes and stands beside me between mouthfuls of hay and tries to investigate my phone. It's so nice, and I feel like we've actually finally made friends after nearly two years together!

blood_magik

Visit site
Sometimes it just takes a while for things to click. I think a lot of us put unecessary pressure on ourselves for whatever reason (peer pressure/the amount of money we spend on what's essentially a hobby etc) and we forget that it's supposed to be fun. I know I did and I came very close to quitting at Christmas.

Well done for persevering. You should be very proud of what you've achieved. :)

khalswitz

Visit site
Sometimes it just takes a while for things to click. I think a lot of us put unecessary pressure on ourselves for whatever reason (peer pressure/the amount of money we spend on what's essentially a hobby etc) and we forget that it's supposed to be fun. I know I did and I came very close to quitting at Christmas.

Well done for persevering. You should be very proud of what you've achieved. :)

I definitely did, you're right. With me it was the fact that my last horse went very lame very suddenly, and I went from learning flying changes and happily eventing at 80cm to, within a week of him going, Geoff the giraffe who couldn't trot on a circle. It was all a bit soon for me and I did a lot of negative comparison, and I did get caught up in 'this is where we're aiming for' in that first year and it absolutely showed. I think it's taken me a long time to just appreciate him for who he is and what he can, can't and doesn't like to do rather than comparing him to my schoolmaster.

But it is rather exciting now, and we haven't even got to the best bit yet ;) so having a ball :)

Loved your update - so interesting for those of us who are treading the same path :)

I hope it is useful!! For me it was reading Lolo's account of the troubles she had with Reg and looking at where they'd got to that massively inspired me not to give up - and a lot of advice from Lolo as well ;). It also made a massive difference getting a trainer who had retrained and ridden exracers - she knew what I was dealing with and how to manage it.