German horses relocating to India.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Just musing really. A rider I know out here is on a buying trip in Germany. The plan is to bring a few horses to India from Germany.

India really has no option for competition horses other than TB rejects from the track.

I am wondering how well a horse will cope with the desert temps in summer, the 24/7 stabling, less than good quality forage and not terribly sympathetic riding. Out here, horse does the job or is rollkured and given a hard time.

Not by ALL I hasten to add, just a few.

Having witnessed the huge amount lost to colic, (veterinary care almost nill) am wondering how wise this trip could be.

Also, can't help but feel terribly sorry for any horse finding itself out here.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Horses adapt fairly well given time to adjust to the different feed/temperatures/way of life. It happens here all the time, European horses coming to this country with it's wacky weather patterns and different types of feed. I'm sure the horses will be fine. Importing German horses is not cheap so I suspect the buyers in India will take care of their investment.

Vindaloo

Visit site
No doubt, it will definitely be a heck of an investment. India definitely needs an injection of quality horses and I totally see why the chap wants to do it.

In fairness it's being done at the best time, summer temps get into the high 40's but in winter down to around 4. The cold wont be a problem, just the heat but there will be time to acclimatise before summer.

Colic is a massive killer here though, forage is not good quality and veterinary care almost non existent. That said, I live in a backward part of India. Most likely it is better elsewhere.