German Riding Pony registration?

Marigold4

Visit site
Adoes anyone know how to register a German Riding Pony as this breed? Ier Ems but no reply. He is a gelding, 3 years old and currently has an AES passport. Many thanks to anyone who can help with advice please.

Last edited:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Are you trying to register him in Britain and change his passport into your name or sort out his ownership certificate?

I can't remember if you bought him abroad or not but if he was when he was sold to you he should have come with his Eigentumsurkunde which is your certificate of ownership. If you want to change ownership details into your name then you need to get that certificate back to the breed Society with a covering letter. Take a copy as they are irreplaceable, send it off and they will do the rest. If you want the get a British passport for him then I think it is the British Sports Pony Society which deals with imports. They should be able to help with exactly what to do.

Having said that DP is still on his original passport issued to his breeder, it isn't proof of ownership and I can't see the point of changing it. He is legally registered with his breed Society in Germany, I have a certificate of ownership and his chip and Freezemark are registered to me.

Marigold4

Visit site
Are you trying to register him in Britain and change his passport into your name or sort out his ownership certificate?

I can't remember if you bought him abroad or not but if he was when he was sold to you he should have come with his Eigentumsurkunde which is your certificate of ownership. If you want to change ownership details into your name then you need to get that certificate back to the breed Society with a covering letter. Take a copy as they are irreplaceable, send it off and they will do the rest. If you want the get a British passport for him then I think it is the British Sports Pony Society which deals with imports. They should be able to help with exactly what to do.

Having said that DP is still on his original passport issued to his breeder, it isn't proof of ownership and I can't see the point of changing it. He is legally registered with his breed Society in Germany, I have a certificate of ownership and his chip and Freezemark are registered to me.

Marigold4

Visit site
Thanks so much for your reply. He was bred in Britain. His sire is a graded German Riding Pony stallion and his dam is an registered Oldenburg (Royaldik) x TB, so I think he could be registered as a German Riding Pony? The small stud (now closed) that bred him usually bred bigger horses and he was their one and only sports pony. So they registered him with the Anglo European Stud book like their others. It doesn't really matter too much but if I could register him as a German Riding Pony, I would like to.

Marigold4

Visit site
QUOTE="Lindylouanne, post: 14016862, member: 109573"]OK I see now. I would try the British Sports Pony Society and see what they say. If they can't help they may know who can but I can't see why they couldn't be able to. Let us know how you get on.[/QUOTE]

I contacted the Sports Pony Studbook Society as you suggested and they were very helpful. Since it is so difficult to get a response from the German studbook, I'm going to have his existing passport overstamped as a SPSS Pony instead. And we are going to attend one of their youngstock evaluations in September. He did really well at the BEF one as a foal, so it will be interesting to see how he gets on now 3.

Thanks for your help

Last edited: