German shepherd breeders in midlands

vannersrus

Visit site
Hi
Am finally in a position, having retired, to get a GSD puppy early next year. Can anyone recommend any good breeders in the Midlands- I would like an old fashioned type with a straight back and a friendly face lol !
A lot of the ones advertised on champ dogs seem to have Eastern European bloodlines and look quite sharp
Sorry if I’ve offended anyone ? I want a family friend rather than a show dog.

SashaBabe

Visit site
Does it have to be a pup? We have "rescued" two German Shepherds over the course of the last 20 years. Our first "rescue", Sheba, was 18 months old when we got her. Her owner was an elderly man who was given her as an 8 week old pup, for company following the death of his wife. He simply could not cope. She was house trained and settled in fairly quickly. She lived until 13 years of age. Our current "rescue", Sasha, was just 10 months old when we got her. Again, she settled in quite quickly. She had lived outside but was house trained very quickly. She is currently 10 years old. There are German Rescue centres in various areas throughout the country and it might be worth having a look.
One thing I would point out is that they shed their hair all year round, so make sure you have a good vacuum cleaner for pet hairs!

vannersrus

Visit site
Hi
We have had three rescues over the last 30 years, 2 collies and a GSD who we still have at 12. All gorgeous but with a variety of issues we have worked through along the way.
I guess I have always fancied a puppy but never been able to be around 24/7 as I can be now. I also now have new grandchildren and know from experience that rescues are often nervous and protective of their people at the same time which isn’t always great when the kids arrive for weeks at a time. Saying that current GSD is like nana out of Peter Pan with the toddler ??‍♀️

MurphysMinder

Visit site
You will have to get on a waiting list for a well bred GSD pup, you are probably best looking for show lines, and no they are not all roach backed cripples. You will need to do your research and makes sure parents are fully health tested, hip and elbow scores, haemophilia for the male, ideally testing for the DM gene but that isn't an absolute must If you are on facebook there is a very good group " German Shepherd Puppies UK (KC only), if you join there you should be able to find a breeder in the area. Don't be tempted to pay inflated prices either, some people are cashing in on the shortage and charging stupid money, you should get a well bred pup for around £1200 - 1500.

Ets. Eastern european lines tend to be working lines, so you are probably best to avoid as they can be very high energy.

vannersrus

Visit site
'Old fashioned' means medium sized, wiry and dark grey in my head ;)

Echo MM, and can offer advice over PM if you have a long or shortlist of names/breeders. But my best advice right now is be prepared to wait.
Hi
Yes thank you both for your advice
I love your dog MM by the way !
I’m in no hurry - just looking to do some research now ready for next year

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Hi
Yes thank you both for your advice
I love your dog MM by the way !
I’m in no hurry - just looking to do some research now ready for next year

Thank you. She was quite young in that pic, she is an old lady of 12 now. Even though you are in no hurry, it is definitely worth starting to look now, a lot of breeders have waiting lists already for litters planned next year.

elizabeth1

Visit site
Is Herts/Bedfordshire too far?
if not,
have a look at the Nyrvana German shepherd dogs on facebook.
their lines offer both working and more family oriented dogs.
they have fabulous temperaments

ApolloStorm

Visit site
If Lincoln isn’t too far, there is a very knowledgable breeder who’s affix is Kintaro, I’m not sure if they are having any more litters but if not they’d be able to point you in the right direction of some!