Get rid of Mike Tucker

LJLazonby

New User
Visit site
Will someone please shoot Mike Tucker. I have had to put up with him all through the eventing but now he is really driving me nuts.To say he is talking gibberish is putting it mildly

hardtimes

Visit site
Failing that, perhaps he could be gagged, bound and hidden somewhere until it's all over, he ruins it for me. However, he does seem to be keeping his mouth shut a bit more during the actual tests now.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I have watched all the coverage on eurovisionsports to avoid having to listen to him. You can sometimes still hear him in the background though :(

I thought he sounded a little subdued today. Perhaps he's been on here and seen what people are saying ...

JVB

Visit site
Awww really, I like Mike Tucker - he's an institution for me when it comes to horsey commentary - wouldn't be the same without him.

Ducks for cover.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I love him, it wouldn't be the same without him!

I said this on a thread somewhere else too but it's exactly the same in cycling (which I follow avidly). Cycling on TV is not the same without Phil Liggett and the other bloke whose name I can't remember. They talk utter nonsense but it's brilliant!

Crazydancer

Visit site
I used to love listening to the cricket commentary to hear them ramble on about pidgeons and cake......
Yes he has been irritating at times, but honestly I wouldn't have liked to do the job. All you'd hear is me holding my breath..... :eek: followed by a scream! :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
Actually I like Mike too - though he does say some corkers. I find his comments much less intrusive in the dressage than Judy Harvey's, she talks nonsense, and I find her patronising, irritating and obnoxious.

skewbaldpony

Visit site
I think he's hilarious. He is in fact, Dudley Diplock from 'Riders'
I howled when he announced someone was married to her husband, he always gets everyone's name wrong. He can't say Mark Todd or Edward Gal without 'TheGreat' before them, and he leaves his mike on when he's chatting to the back up team.
True English eccentric.

BeesKnees

Visit site
Have to say his comment about Charlotte not realising what she had done, over top of pictures of her sobbing after the medal ceremony was a bit of a cracker

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Well I got sick of hearing him saying 'the great' before the vast majority of riders/horses etc etc. Feck off with that...and please, Mike, get your head from up Yanky von Gruesome's ass please!

Otherwise, aye, it's all good :D

BeesKnees

Visit site
Have to say though his gushing comments about Anky and Arnelinda Cornelissem or whatever her name is, do suggest he doesn't actually know what correct work looks like?

louisewarner

Visit site
No - please dont,his enthusiasm is great, although he could have just piped down at key moments..........Judy Harvey was way more irritating and put a bit of a downer on many of tests - NO sense of humour whatsoever and the one thing Dressage needs is exactly that!

I actually dont see any need to talk over the Kur, it is the music that needs listening to, and any commentator should shut up so we can hear the music and maybe - if they really must- comment at the end for a resume.

With or without them rabbiting, today was utterley dreamlike and so many congrats to all of the GB'ers today -a joy to see.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Have to say though his gushing comments about Anky and Arnelinda Cornelissem or whatever her name is, do suggest he doesn't actually know what correct work looks like?

Got it in one!! Mike's "successes" in the field of equestrianism were largely due to his wife Angela (who he was married to :D) and her horses. I'm fairly sure he didn't really notice what was happening at the time ;)

rosied

Visit site
I think he's hilarious. He is in fact, Dudley Diplock from 'Riders'
I howled when he announced someone was married to her husband, he always gets everyone's name wrong. He can't say Mark Todd or Edward Gal without 'TheGreat' before them, and he leaves his mike on when he's chatting to the back up team.
True English eccentric.

I'm with you (and the others) - he's the voice of equestrianism on the BBC.

Sounds like he's the marmite of commentators - you either love him or hate him!

charleysummer

Visit site
I like him.. to an extent! he does get annoying, I did notice an interesting comment as a showjumping horse was going round

'this horse can hopefully move on to bigger and better things'

err what? bigger and better than the olympics? the most televised competition with the very best riders from all around the world in ? and people from all over the world travelling to watch?

hmm maybe i misunderstood but that's how I heard it! :p

skewbaldpony

Visit site
I like him.. to an extent! he does get annoying, I did notice an interesting comment as a showjumping horse was going round

'this horse can hopefully move on to bigger and better things'

err what? bigger and better than the olympics? the most televised competition with the very best riders from all around the world in ? and people from all over the world travelling to watch?

hmm maybe i misunderstood but that's how I heard it! :p

Mind you, the woman who interviewed Carl today (sorry can't remember her name) made me laugh, when he said Charlotte was his other half and she went
'Not literally your other half'
Well no dear, neither literally, nor figuratively in the sense you are thinking. Had she been literally his other half, they would have had to ride the same horse. Duh.
But you could just hear her brain going 'please don't let him say anything unfortunate!' it was great.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
The trouble is there are times when you don't need any commentary and he always talks through them. Judy H was good, but I just wanted to have an off switch for him.
There must be dozens of good eventing/dressage people out there who could do a better job.
His inane waffling actually spoiled a lot of the Olympics for me...

Elbie

Visit site
OMG why did Mike and Judy think it would be a good idea to talk through every dressage test today? When it's dressage to music, I don't want to hear people telling me what i'm seeing (i.e. great piaffe, slight mistake there) or listen to Mike tell us for the umpteenth time that Charlotte only started competing in Grand Prixs 18 months ago, or listen to apparently some other commentator in the background! I want to listen to the music they're doing dressage to!

Please BBC, next time you put dressage to music on the TV, can you make the commentators wait until AFTER the test to make brief comments on what they thought.

easy_rider

New User
Visit site
Anyone who thinks Mike Tucker is a bad commentator should try listening to Richard Vaughan doing show jumping on Eurosport - or his predecessor, Peter Churchill. They are/were both unbelievably bad.

Some people seem to like Nick Brooks-Ward but he always seems rather bland to me.

I actually like Tucker a lot, he's good old-school type of BBC commentator, like Peter Alliss or John Barrett. Of course there are more knowledgeable horsemen out there, but it's also a case of being able to communicate to a general audience and he does that very well. He does need to be paired with a good expert though.

KingfisherBlue

Visit site
OMG why did Mike and Judy think it would be a good idea to talk through every dressage test today? When it's dressage to music, I don't want to hear people telling me what i'm seeing (i.e. great piaffe, slight mistake there) or listen to Mike tell us for the umpteenth time that Charlotte only started competing in Grand Prixs 18 months ago, or listen to apparently some other commentator in the background! I want to listen to the music they're doing dressage to!

Please BBC, next time you put dressage to music on the TV, can you make the commentators wait until AFTER the test to make brief comments on what they thought.

I couldn't have put it any better myself. Totally agree. Tucker also prattled on during the medal ceremony itself.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
love the bloke!! how can you not smile when he comes out with a real corker as only he can:D
I just googled him as although i know the voice so well i don't actually know him:eek: he's got quite a good record, badminton 12 times, coming 2nd in '83 and 2nd at burghley in 69 as well as designing countless xc courses:eek: the man is a little bit of a legend that we should be proud of i think!!