Getting a cob that hates moving to school..

Annette4

Visit site
Ok so even sharing something isn't likely to happen any time soon but I do have free rein with a friends mares and she's willing to hire a trailer to take one out for me if I want to.

I will admit I hate not having something to work for so aiming to do a local dressage with the smaller of the two. I have one issue....she detests moving! She'll happily walk all day and will do a short stuffy trot for a couple of strides but thats it. She's no different out hacking either. However, she's just got a new saddle and does feel much better in it so I think it may be a case now of showing her she can move really.

As a bit of back story...she bred 6 foals from 2-9 and was just left in a field to get on with it. She's a lovely mare and very safe and steady which is what my friend wants but I'd like to encourage her to be a bit more forward thinking even if we don't manage the dressage.

I'll try and get a video of me riding her at some point which might be a bit more help.

I've been trying to just get her off the leg in walk as a start. I ask first, if I don't get a response I back it up with my schooling whip but she's not getting any quicker.

I feel crap but I've never dealt with a horse who was this unwilling to move forward.

nobbster

Visit site
i know how you feel my little mare is the same, i just have to keep it goin, but i have run out of ideas,

good luck x

Annette4

Visit site
I have a feeling she might be a bit more keen if I could take her out in company for a bit of a blast....well trot round a field....but her owner and the lady who keeps her mare there are both nervous and although they ride together quite happily in walk I don't think they'd be so willing to come charging about with me lol.

Peacelily

Visit site
A blast and a change of scenery sounds like it would be really good for her. Can you manage to do it with someone who's got more get up and go??

When i had my little eventer he got really bored after a long winter just in and out of the school and boring road hacks. However after a blast round a hunter trial in the spring he was completely up for anything
smile.gif
it made school work so much more rewarding and he perked up big style.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Little Cob gets bored stooooopid in the school, we have to keep it short and very interesting! Cones, poles, transitions, changes of direction.

Also feed! What is the coblet on? We've found that anything with sugars in helps LC wake up
grin.gif
. Just about to start swapping him over to straights, so he'll be on mixed flakes, oats, and sugarbeet, and Pink Powder (plus Gleucocimine(sp!) and Brewers Yeast).

Annette4

Visit site
peacelily - I don't know anyone else who can ride who's nearby
frown.gif
I may beg someone from further afield to come with me. I rode her in the field tonight and she was a little better just a bit nappy.

MrsMozart - she's just given a handfull of chaff to mix her supplement with as she's hugely porky (which probably doesn't help) and on a starvy patch.