Getting a Dog - where to start?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Another Ivy update! I like doing these, it's nice to reflect on how it's all going. We're now at 7 weeks since Ivy came home. :)

She's certainly coming out of her shell, it's keeping us on our toes and 'leave' is our new favourite word! Small squidgy things (my cuddly socks, OHs woolly hat, soft toys, knitted Christmas tree decs, etc) are all incredibly exciting to her. We wouldn't mind as much if she just wanted to have them, but unfortunately she loves destroying this type of item as demonstrated by how she treats her toys. Of course once her own toys are de-squeaked and de-fluffed she no longer wants them! Thankfully all of those items were rescued in time but I owe OH a new eco shower loof thanks to my bright idea not to let him put it out of Ivy's way so it could be a 'learning opportunity' for practicing 'leave'. I learned something at least, even if the dog didn't.

We're going to OH's family for Christmas and last time we were there Ivy was an absolute angel but I think she might be spending more time on her lead this time round. She found me wrapping presents very exciting and even tried to help (see pic for her efforts!) but she did eventually calm down enough to settle for laying with her head on my leg to just watch instead. I don't want her pinching people's presents (or food!) while we work on 'leave'. Thankfully she is still very polite when we're having dinner or eating on the sofa, and now we've learned 'down' she has taken to plopping herself down into sphinx pose just in case that works on us :D

She's also found her voice. Sometimes she uses it to answer back! I'm not sure what we'd call the sound she makes, it's not a bark, more squeaky, sounds like it's coming out of a tiny toy dog not a Greyhound. This morning she used her whiney noise to wake us up at 5.40am. I know you're probably supposed to ignore but we like our neighbours. I think we need to work out her routine a bit better.

Enough of my rambling...pics!

1640255026378.png1640255037267.png1640255114343.png

Terrayza

Visit site
she is beautiful but please be careful around small dogs, Ben is just under the size of a spaniel but he he is a fluffy boy his recall is excellent but on about five different occassions he has been chased by greyhounds and whippets it was not nice . He ran back and sat at my feet but the dogs continued to go for him, I picked him up for his safety. I completely understand that all dogs are different but some greyhounds /whippets see a dog like mine as a rabbit, he is not that small so I think it is because he is fluffy I understand the prey drive thing I love whippets and greyhounds but owners do need to be aware of how frightening they can be to small dogs

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
she is beautiful but please be careful around small dogs, Ben is just under the size of a spaniel but he he is a fluffy boy his recall is excellent but on about five different occassions he has been chased by greyhounds and whippets it was not nice . He ran back and sat at my feet but the dogs continued to go for him, I picked him up for his safety. I completely understand that all dogs are different but some greyhounds /whippets see a dog like mine as a rabbit, he is not that small so I think it is because he is fluffy I understand the prey drive thing I love whippets and greyhounds but owners do need to be aware of how frightening they can be to small dogs

That must have been scary for you and your dog. Ivy doesn't ever go off lead and I'm not sure we'll ever have her 'free range' outside of the garden or a secure field. It's much too early days having only just had her 2 months and while we're working on getting her attention when there's lots of distractions around. She's not shown any sign of wanting to chase small dogs which is great. She actually ignores most other dogs of any size/breed which is just as well because we seem to get quite a few running up to her off lead, although she has started making friends with a couple of dogs we know which is nice.

Quick New Year Ivy update...our first Christmas with her was lovely, if a bit stressful keeping track of her in another house where there's lots of food around! She charmed everyone and did really well meeting lots of new people. It's just as well she's adorable and sweet natured, because she did the biggest poo on OH's parents' expensive silk rug and still Santa brought her presents on Christmas day! A new bed from OH's mum, a bow tie from OH's sister, and a fluffy throw blanket from my SIL. Lucky hound!

1641052082521.png1641052092991.png

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
She's a sweetheart (with her cheeky, bouncy moments too!)

Interesting Ivy update today. We've been in touch with a group that have traced her history from her tattoos and their information seems to contradict the story we had about her being found straying. It's left us a bit confused as to why we have a different version of how she came to be with the rescue, as it would not have changed us wanting to give her a home. Our girl ran a handful of races in Ireland before she came to the UK. She ran a trial here and that looks like where her racing career ended. Apparently she did have a pet home extremely briefly but was given up. We're glad to know a bit more about where she came from and her family history.

OH is off work this week so we have planned a few nice things to do together with Ivy. Beach tomorrow, secure indoor arena hire on Thursday, and a sighthound group walk on Sunday. We're hoping to get using the long lead on the beach, depending on how busy it is, and some off-lead time in the indoor arena - first time outside of our garden which we hope will be nice for her to have more room to stretch her legs and on the nice arena surface too. :)

She's been doing very well with her training as well, especially given our lack of experience! 'Down' and 'go to bed' got mixed up for a while but those seem to be differentiating so she doesn't keep plopping down on the floor when we as her to go to bed. 'Leave' is patchy although I was able to persuade her not to kill knitted santa (tree dec) in exchange for some kibble earlier, and got to the stage where she wouldn't go for him when I dropped him. Stuffed polar bear was kidnapped to her crate where it would have been game over for him so that took a more considerable trade to rescue him! 'Wait' (in down) is a new one for her and she's really getting the hang of that quite quickly. Clever noodle! :D

Edited due to distinct lack of photo in my post!:

1641240104372.png

Last edited:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
This kangaroo looking blur is our girl enjoying her first off lead time since we have had her. The space was great, although she was incredibly interested in something outside, we felt we could relax knowing it was secure. Once she settled down a bit we were able to try some recall and to play with her new fox toy. So glad we picked it up on the way there because she was far more motivated by the toy than food when distracted!
Screenshot_20220106-190449_Video Player.jpg
It was also very sweet that she came into the shop with us today. Last time we tried this at a different shop when she was very new to us, too early probably, and it was too scary. Today she walked straight in and enjoyed having a nosy round the toys and food departments, and saying hello to the staff ?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Popping back into this thread to remind myself of those early days after Ivy came home for the first time. We moved house just over a month ago, and while she seemed to have managed the moving process fairly well and initially got off to a good start, she is starting to struggle on walks again. Perhaps not that surprising really as it's a lot of change. She loves the new house though, much more space for her to move (and lounge!) about and she now she has 2 beds, plus access to upstairs which is apparently very exciting.

She's enjoying getting in the car and we can take her to the secure field or to other out of town places, but really not sure walking from home - just like when we first got her. I don't particularly like walking from home either to be fair but I hope we can get our confidence back. I've reached out to local sighthound owners to set up some walking dates so hopefully something will come of that soon. Reading this thread back has helped me stay hopeful and reminded me to be patient!

20220709_180414.jpg

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what a beautiful face. she hsnt been at the new home for long so will take a while to get used to the walks. you are doing a brilliant job by listening to her and eventually you will both be confident walking from home..

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
It was so helpful to look back. I forgot we used to have days off from walking and how much it helped to get her in the car to quieter places. Also how much kibble we used to get through on walks, and that she had a phase of stopping outside our front door - just like she is now!

We drove out to a bigger park this morning and did a couple of loops. Tomorrow morning off to the woods. Then this evening from home literally just walked around the block with a stop in the little green at the end of our street. It's always tempting to do more when it seems to have gone well but I've been firm with myself to accept that is enough just for now ?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I do need to work on that. There's at least a couple of genuinely nasty, big dogs in our neighbourhood and I really dread coming across them when we walk from home. But I can't walk around in fear the whole time and other 'normal' dog owners in the area seem to be managing so I think some of it is anxiety about other stuff coming out through/getting focused on this.

We had a lovely walk out this morning, thankfully discovering nice options I can drive to within 10 or 15 mins. And we have a new secure field to go and explore tomorrow. ?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Thank you that is very kind.

Not such a good day today. She's more consistently okay in the front garden but we barely made it to the end of the street at back, and it is not a long street! Tricky balance between not wanting to 'flood' her and trying to stick with something a bit out of her comfort zone to help her see it's okay and increase our walk range! She's a bit better in the front garden so we spent quite a bit of time hanging out there. I expect she can hear and smell all sorts that I can't so just let her look around and take it in and watch people pass by.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I've been enjoying revisiting this thread and reminiscing about the early days. Also feeling so grateful for all the support we have had from the forum as anxious and not especially competent first-time dog owners! Today is two years since we brought our lovely Ivy home. Our very worried, toast rack looking, noodly hound (1st pic) has come out of her shell, is looking good, and charms just about everyone she meets (even people who don't particularly like dogs).

Happy anniversary Ivy!!

1699031186952.png1699031193873.png1699031200229.png1699031208879.png

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
She is beautiful
We think so too 😊 I giggle when people say 'doesn't she look elegant' and I think about how goofy she can be as well.
Happy anniversary lovely Ivy! She looks so content and settled with you @SaddlePsych'D, she has landed on her feet with you as an owner, and it has been lovely to see your pictures and posts on the forum as she has settled in with you 😊
Aw thank you! I like to think she's got a good home with us, we do our best anyway. Moving from the house we were renting back to our own house has been challenging but she's managing quite well. Hopefully next yeat we'll move again to something even better for the three of us (quieter, country walks, a proper garden!)