Getting a horse transported from Scotland to Lincs? Any advice?

xch4r

Visit site
So... Long story short, there is a horse I have been wanting for a while for sale. Big catch is that he's in Scotland... And I am in lincolnshire. Can anyone recommend a transporter? Or would it be cheaper/better for me to beg my uncle to drive the lorry up? Has anyone got any experience of using a transporter and has anyone got any notion of how much it might cost?

Thanks in advance

wench

Visit site
I'd be contacting some of the larger companies and trying to find a shared load. Cheaper and less hassle for you.

Gillies do north to south I believe. Other options are to ring more local companies and see what they are doing.

There is a company near Doncaster that have shared loads advertised on their website. Or you could try some of the racehorse transporters in Newmarket, as thats close (ish) to Boston.

Mister Ted

Visit site
A well known and respected horse transporter here is Eric Gillies based in Scottish Borders.My friend used this company and was very impressed of the care taken.There is a very good website with Q/Ans.on costs etc.

xch4r

Visit site
Thanks guys, have just spoken to Eric ghillies and they've quoted £280-£300 +vat does this sound about right? X

horsebenny

Visit site
Yes, that's about right. I used them to bring one up to Scotland from Surrey and that was £400ish I think. Excellent service, they did it over three days so not to tire the horse too much and livery for the two overnights was included.

JoJo_

Visit site
Definitely use Gillies. I have used them for two trips from Sussex to Aberdeenshire and once from Warwickshire to Aberdeenshire. They are very professional and look after the horses well. They usually travel from Scotland to England at the start of the week then England back to Scotland at the latter end of the week.

Dry Rot

Visit site
And yet another for Gillies. They work with John Parker if you want to transport a horse to Europe too. Really really nice people who have been doing it for many years.

PorkChop

Visit site
Definitely Gillies, recently moved our horses from Cornwall to Scotland - they arrived looking like they had been round the block :)

EventingMum

Visit site
Again Gillies, fab company. They took a youngster I sold from Scotland to Stratford. She stayed overnight in Kelso and they phoned to stay she had a leg stretch and roll in a paddock before settling into her stable, couldn't have been more happy with them!

HelenS

Visit site
I'm going in the opposite direction! I'm getting my youngster transported from Lancashire to Argyll. I've had 2 quotes so far, and Gillies, who I favour, are coming in at £600 with an overnight stop. Mine is a bit higher in price because of the location.

wills_91

Visit site
I'm going in the opposite direction! I'm getting my youngster transported from Lancashire to Argyll. I've had 2 quotes so far, and Gillies, who I favour, are coming in at £600 with an overnight stop. Mine is a bit higher in price because of the location.

Ohh I'm in Argyll to :)