Getting a mare and always had geldings. what do I need to know??

soulfull

Visit site
Have never had a mare before and hopefully (subject to vet) will be getting my first one soon

I know the old saying ask a mare tell a gelding but thats about it

tucker

Visit site
I have a chestnut mare . I went to buy a gelding but i liked her . When she is in season i can hardly tell and I think mares will try that bit more for you.

Natch

Visit site
*Watches topic with interest being in same boat as OP and almost always ridden boys*

I have to admit the only 2 mares I ever remember having ridden were lovely!
smile.gif

KatB

Visit site
I used to be a mare disliker, as the only ones I had had involvemnt with were b!tches!!

However, fell in love with my girl now and am 3mnths into owning her. I adore her. She is stubborn, and very independent and nosey, but if you give her time to work things out, she will do anything for me.

She likes to work it out for herself, and wont always take my word for things, but is starting to get more trusting and take some of my input
wink.gif
My geldings have always gone "don't want to" until you go you ARE doing it and then they get on with it. She will blank me until she is happy!

I am a real convert, she is very very clever and alot quicker to learn than my geldings, but it is pointlyess getting in arguments!!
tongue.gif

Destiny95

Visit site
Mares can be great and try their hardest one day - and then the next make you feel like you can't ride! I think this makes them more special weirdly enough! After riding my Mr Reliable gelding for five years I started riding my boyfriends experienced mare. We got on great and won XC and a dressage competition two weeks running. However, we were put in the dressage teams for the local riding club and it was her 'time of the month' and she was a right cow - was even backing off me trotting up the centre line when the week before she was Miss sweet and innocent!! The rest of the test was really hard work - with her spooking at flower pots that she swore she hadn't seen in her ten year bsja career.... Looking back its quite funny because it taught me quite a valuable lesson - you can't take them for granted and when we are on form we're a great partnership and she shines - but sometimes its nice to get back on my Mr Reliable gelding : ) Just one other thing - and without trying to be too personal - I have learnt that when she is on edge with 'woman issues' and so am I, I just don't bother riding her as its a recipe for disaster - far too many hormones to achieve anything positive : )

Cavblacks

Visit site
I find mares are more "princessy" I love riding mares as well as geldings, the difference i find is in the stable where the gelding I ride is affectionate and polite and the mare is rude and well a bit mareish until she is happy and comfortable! But a firm hand and not letting her take the michael works!

megwan1

Visit site
my mare is far more independant than the geldings i've had...
she likes to think i'm only good for handing her the bucket of yummy food (i like to think she maybe likes me more than that)

she's great tho and really does try but only if i press the right button... i think mares are generally cleverer than geldings and so mine is maybe more difficult as she doesnt always believe me!!!
although saying that she is the most fun and best horse to ride i've ever had!!!! and i miss her lots now i'm away at uni!!!!

enjoy your mare!

kerilli

Visit site
with a lot of mares you can't even tell they're mares by their behaviour, so i'd say treat her just like a horse... as you would a gelding, basically! they don't like to be bullied, but then, nor do a lot of geldings.
i do think a lot of people blame bad behaviour on a horse being a mare (and hold it against her for future reference!), when if it was a gelding they'd just think it was being tricky for a minute and then let it go...

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
I was a mare hater, ive owned mine for a yr and im not sure ill ever go back to a gelding, she has such a amazing personality cant be bullied at all, but when she is on your side will give everything she has got for you!! She is very quick to learn the good and bad!!!

But as others have said she is a horse you just will need to learn about her personality

Rouletterose

Visit site
I adore mares have always had them, I find them more sensitive, wise, demand more respect, won't be bullied, more independant, more intelligent, more loyal.

Bad bits: seasons...don't usually ride mine for two days at that time....as very temperamental moody pmt etc. but it's not for long
laugh.gif
bit like us really?
shocked.gif

vhf

Visit site
In my experience, people seem to either be "mare people" or not. I am, and in 30-odd years in the saddle I'm yet to have one I couldn't get on with, but my far more experienced/talented sister doesn't really like them.
Once you remember they have more hormones to deal with than a gelding but need the same consistent treatment as any other horse, it just goes down to the individual.
My current mare likes to know I'm the boss and that she has boundaries. Now she trusts me, she'd do almost anything for me because it was what I asked.
I've had others where - like any intelligent woman - you had to convince them whatever you wanted was their idea all along...

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I find mares are more "princessy" I love riding mares as well as geldings, the difference i find is in the stable where the gelding I ride is affectionate and polite and the mare is rude and well a bit mareish until she is happy and comfortable! But a firm hand and not letting her take the michael works!

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely not letting them taking the mic goes with all horses, and if a horse has bad manner in the stable then it's about the individual and not the horses sex?! My mares are perfectly well mannered, bold and sensible.

Like Kerilli says, a lot of people put bad behaviour down to a horse being a mare, when it's not really a factor. With one of mine I never even notice that she's in season. The other one is a little more grumpy in the field and would prefer to be left alone when hormonal (I can't blame her, I feel the same
tongue.gif
) but when it comes to handling her and riding her it makes no difference.

Personally, I'm a huge mare fan. I think they are smarter, tend to form more personal bonds with their owner, and therefore give you more
smile.gif
smile.gif

OP - prepare to be converted!
wink.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I love mares
smile.gif
I find them to be a little bit more 'complex' than geldings and many don't take kindly to being 'told' what to do (you have to ask nicely!
grin.gif
) AND they tend to think they know it all already, but they're very intelligent and once you've got one on your side they really really try for you
smile.gif

vicky_sut

Visit site
Ive had 2 mares the first was an irish sports horse and everyone thought she was a boy, you never even knew if she was in season! The only thing that gave it away was having a manky tail! My current mare is a tb and she is such a sweetie , she does flirt with the boys but she has the most lovely temperment.
I have known some that get stroppy when in season, but ive also known geldings that are stroppy all the time. Good luck

Fransurrey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
with a lot of mares you can't even tell they're mares by their behaviour, so i'd say treat her just like a horse... as you would a gelding, basically! they don't like to be bullied, but then, nor do a lot of geldings.
i do think a lot of people blame bad behaviour on a horse being a mare (and hold it against her for future reference!), when if it was a gelding they'd just think it was being tricky for a minute and then let it go...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with this. I'd never had a mare before the end of June and was worried about seasons, mareish behaviour and so on. I didn't really get definitive advice, so I just treated her as I found her. She is a completely different personality to my gelding, but not in a mare-specific way. I don't have a CLUE when her seasons are. I've only found dribble on her bits once and I've had her 3 months, now. She doesn't act a whole lot different to my gelding. I did them in the dark last night (I left them on grass for a few hours and went up later to shut them into the bare paddock with hay) and thought she was Henry for a second, lol. In my defence, they're both exmoors and I didn't have a torch.
grin.gif

I think you'll be fine. It still amuses me how she pees and I had to get used to there not being a willy, but these are small issues, lol!
grin.gif

Spotsrock

Visit site
Only thing to really know is MARES ARE CLEVERER than geldings! They will work things out, learn faster and help you more, flip side they learn how to get away with things faster! I won't have a gelding as a riding horse and have chosen my 4 with careful consideration, them being mares was always a major positive mark each time, they are sympathetic when you have 'marish' days too!! Mine give me a wide berth and gentle treatment once a month!

Best of luck, you'll love her!

Dirtymare

Visit site
I dont think I would get a gelding ever again. I never wanted a mare in the first place, but dont regret my decision.
Mares are loyal and have far more personality than a gelding.
However, when they dont want to work, you can ask all you like, they will do what they want in the end.
I think you have to treat a mare as if you were a herd member, ie, you have to be top dog, otherwise your mare will just walk all over you.
I have a special relationship with my mare - something I never ever had with my geldings.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
I never had a mare before until my current horse !! I can't say she is any different particularly to the geldings I have owned. I am lucky in that you can't even tell when she's in season. She is not mareish at all. I love her to bits !

camilla4

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Like Kerilli says, a lot of people put bad behaviour down to a horse being a mare, when it's not really a factor.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is very true - I've had both and, whilst some mares can exhibit different behaviour when they are in season, I certainly had no reason to treat them any differently or to alter my expectations in terms of behaviour or performance.

Annagain

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
However, we were put in the dressage teams for the local riding club and it was her 'time of the month' and she was a right cow - was even backing off me trotting up the centre line when the week before she was Miss sweet and innocent!! The rest of the test was really hard work - with her spooking at flower pots that she swore she hadn't seen in her ten year bsja career

[/ QUOTE ]

My gelding does that every so often and I have no time of the month to blame it on - just him being a numpty
mad.gif
grin.gif
I've tried everything: getting angry with him; laughing it off; patting him quietly and reassuring him and ignoring him; but nothing works, if he's in one of his spooky moods nothing will stop him so it's not just mares who do that. He can even do one great test and then go back in the same arena and freak at everything from the markers and the flower pots to the judge ringing her bell or beeping her horn only an hour after being a perfect gent!

Fransurrey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Only thing to really know is MARES ARE CLEVERER than geldings! They will work things out, learn faster and help you more, flip side they learn how to get away with things faster!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. In 10 yrs, my gelding has never worked out how to open the gate dividing two fields. Little Miss Innocent has done it after only a couple of months and I now have to tie the blooming thing shut!
grin.gif

Vicki1986

Visit site
my mare is a hoot, she is cheeky and fun when she wants to be - and a moody cow when shes not in the mood - very much mirroring my personality !!

TBH the only downside to my mare is seasons, she's a total slapper and squirts for england, getting quite mucky.

I do notice that she has no patience for flatwork for about 2 days during her season, but take her for a jump or gallop and she is a woman on a mission !!

Mostly the geldings i have met have been more affectionate and friendly than the mares, but i like that my mare doesnt give away her love to just anyone ! she makes you work for it which makes our bond feel really special.

Unless the horse in question was very special, i wouldnt have a gelding now.

Daisychain

Visit site
Mares are no different to geldings to ride, sometimes they can be slightly more moody towards other horses but thats all.

Complete wives tale.