Getting a mouth on a young horse?

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Opinions, please? By getting a mouth on, I mean the idea of leaving them in a stable with a bit in for a couple of hours at a time, along with side reins and a roller? Right? Wrong? Better / worse ways to do it?

Just interested to hear views on the subject.

teddyt

Visit site
Totally unnecessary imo. The way i bit a young horse is to make sure they have their teeth checked then choose a bit suitable for the individual mouth conformation. Little and often get them to wear the bit then gradually increase length of time and progress to working the horse. I HATE those nylon straight in hand bits that lots of people use- soooo uncomfortable! Usually use a double jointed loose ring. Let the horse play and fiddle as much as they want and definitely no flash- if they open their mouths they are doing so for a reason.

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
As above, what teddyt says. This is also how I am doing it.
No way I'd leave her in her stable for 2 hours with side reins on, she's young, prone to daft behaviour so I'd be worried about injury.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Agree with the first answer. My youngster was bitted in exactly that way with gradual time increases and worked slowly to get used to it. She never stood for a long time stuck with a bit in her mouth and is now working really well. I would never leave a horse bridled to get used to a bit, they're more likely to resent it than learn anything.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Start just putting it in the mouth and letting them play, then I usually start introducing a bit of pressure by using a three way couple to lead in once their happy with it.

Once that is sorted it's time for long reigning. Although as puppy will testify, I am rubbish at it!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Totally unnecessary imo. The way i bit a young horse is to make sure they have their teeth checked then choose a bit suitable for the individual mouth conformation. Little and often get them to wear the bit then gradually increase length of time and progress to working the horse. I HATE those nylon straight in hand bits that lots of people use- soooo uncomfortable! Usually use a double jointed loose ring. Let the horse play and fiddle as much as they want and definitely no flash- if they open their mouths they are doing so for a reason.

Ditto! Then start doing some in-hand work with the bit - just in walk to start with - to introduce steering and stopping (the stopping should include use of consistent voice command.) When you start lunging, once youngster is happy and obedient on lunge we use long side reins - so horse has full freedom of head and neck but will eventually be 'teased down' by the weight of the rein and learn to stretch.

Once we start riding, we use a lunge cavesson, with reins on the side rings - PLUS reins on the bit - with the bit rein being held loser. This avoids the need to PULL in an emergency but again gradually gets the horse used to the bit and rein aids.

shadowboy

Visit site
That's such an archaic method! The first time I bitted my boys I warmed the bit up and put some honey on it. Then over the next few month built.up the time the horses were bitted.