Getting a nappy horse through the start line

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Got my first ODE in 3 weeks :D He is a fab horse but very nappy when by himself. He hadn't been hacked out by himself till a couple of months ago but since with a lot of practice being lead and following hubbie on bike then eventually going ourselves we are managing it though a bit over spooky. The ODE is on the yard where we are stabled so have unlimited access to the XC course so over the next few weeks I need to crack this. He loves XC so once we get through the start and over the first fence I think we'll be ok.
The start is an entrance to the field and a break in the hedge about 12 foot wide and he seems to have a real issue with it. I suspect there has been some major arguments in the past at this point.... He isn't a horse that responds to the whip, it just winds him up more. How would you deal with it?

applestroodle

Visit site
Not sure if this is any help but i was given some good advice by my trainer when starting my youngster out last year. He told me to go to the start when the horse before me was about to set off and let my horse watch him go into the distance, it seems to have worked so far. Good luck :)

Sarah2207

Visit site
Try to leave it until the last second to go into the start box, if you nicely explain to the steward before that this is what you are going to do, they should be fine with it! Just walk/trot a circle close by during the count down and enter the start box at about 3 secs to go so there's no hanging around! That worked for my horse anyway!

Chloe1

Visit site
Above ideas are good and if she still won't go try spinning round on the spot several times in the same direction and then pushing to go. We have found this can sometimes help with nappers, slightly disorientates them.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, will be attempting them all over the next couple of weeks and to see which is the magic one!
I know the starting steward and I'm sure they will be fine with any attempts as long as they aren't classed as outside assistance (my thoughts of OH going though on a bike and us following apparantly are :rolleyes:)
Are you allowed to reinback through the start?

Fairy Dust

Visit site
My mare was so nappy in the start box and I just found that going in at the last second was the best thing to do, also just tried really exaggerated leg yields (I know it's small) just to keep her moving as if she was moving sideways it sort of tricked her to think forward! We have left start boxes in some very odd positions! Remember to just kick lots as well!! :)

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Just wanted thank everyone for there feedback.
We had a real break though last week, went out with husband on the bike and went over the xc course over the jumps (I was avoiding jumping due to hard ground previously) and he followed nicely. Husband was struggling due to long grass and had to stop for a breather half way round and we carried on by ourselves very nicely. Gave him a few minutes walking, then tried by ourselves and went through the start with no hesitation and got over all the jumps no problem :)
So ODE was today. The change of atmosphere certainly got to him and my lazy laidback horse was on fire! dressage was acceptable but with comments alien to him, like rushing.....
Showjumping was great, he normally is very spooky and stands off. Today he was still very hesitant but listened and everytime I said go, he did and went clear, though had a whole pile of time faults.
He warmed up nicely for xc but when the starter gave the 2 minute warning he didn't want to go to the start. Pushed and encouraged and nothing, he was just backing off. So turned around and back reined to the start - then at go back reined through the start, went 2 strides then turned around and off he trotted :) one hesitation where the course gets to a point where he can see home but pushed on and he listened :) I struggled on the way back, I was very breathless and had to slow to a trot when he had loads of energy. i suspect I don't breath very well with nerves as can normally do it no problem so where way above the time but we got round, so chuffed with him! can't wait to try again!