Getting a stubborn horse to work in an outline.

KThriepland

New User
Visit site
I loaned and then bought my horse from a yard where she didn't get ridden very much, and if she did it was mainly in lessons. She's a 15 year old, 15.3 hh thoroughbred cross chestnut mare. I think she must have known how to work in an outline at one point (as she does sometimes bring her head into an outline for a couple of seconds) but maybe just not been asked for a while before I bought her, and I've been struggling for a while to get her to do it.

I've read a lot of posts which say before a horse will work properly you have to get the horse working more energetically and from behind, but the issue I have with this is my horse just rushes rather than working properly when I try this - has anyone else had this problem or know how I can stop it?

I do sometimes get close to getting her into a pretty good outline, but she tends to fight me a lot and just starts spinning in circles or rearing (typical chestnut mare basically) which is pretty frustrating and makes it's hard to get her to work properly.

I've tried draw reins with her but she just misbehaves the whole time, and I don't really like the idea of them. Does anyone have any tips for how to deal with this? :)

anna22

Visit site
I'd second a good instructor, makes a world of difference! You may have to try a few to find someone you gel with... but it's worth every penny when you do get the right person. Completely revolutionised my riding and my horses way of going! :)

ajn1610

Visit site
Get some lessons with a good sympathetic instructor.
If the horse has been in a riding school she has probably not had a consistent approach and the opportunity to establish a correct way of going. Working from the ground on the lunge or long lining will help her learn to carry herself correctly and build the muscles she needs to.
In the meantime if she is unsure or under developed, you may need to spend most of your time working in a long low frame rather than a test outline. For the moment concentrate on the rhythm and riding from seat and leg into a contact that is passive and following rather than getting tempted to fiddle her in.