getting back in the saddle after 16 years!

Dottyg

New User
Visit site
Hello everyone

I used to be a keen rider as a teenager. I surrounded myself in everything equine and my best mate was my pony, Smug. I went to college to do a BTEC but fell quite ill with glandular fever- I left college and never really got back in to the saddle.

I've got a young family myself now and my daughter had her first lesson last weekend. I'm seriously considering some lessons myself but I'm a bit concerned that I'm too fat and too arthritic.

Anyway, being back on the yard at the weekend brought back so many happy memories and I spent a good few hours wistfully daydreaming of owning a horse again as an adult. Which of course led me to ponderings over costs. I remember 16 years ago DIY livery cost £12, straw was 50p a bale and hay was £1.50 a bale. Shoes cost less than £40 for a full set. I don't really remember how much it cost each month to keep the old boy on the road but I know mum and dad worked blooming hard for me to keep him.

How do those prices compare these days? I'm in the Midlands (I suspect the cost varies through out the country?) what ball park figure would we be looking at each month? I doubt it is doable for a good while yet, my health isn't stable enough (no pun intended!) but I'd be interested to get back up to speed on a few things never the less.

Roody2

Visit site
It's great that you are thinking of taking it up again! If you're worried about fitness then why not take up a bit of a fitness regime (walking, jogging, yoga or pilates) to get you back in the swing of it, don't just rely on riding for fitness.

However, as I'm sure you've guessed, prices are a lot different now (we all wish they were still at the levels of 20 years ago!!).
Prices round me (south) are:
DIY livery £40 to £70 per week
Straw bales £3.50 but going up due to poor weather and yields
Hay bales £5.50 but also going up
Shoes £70 for a full set

Fun Foals

Visit site
Im paying roughly;
£75 a month rent, (field, stable feed room & tack room in a old farm)
£2.50 bale straw
£5 bale hay
£60 full set of shoes
Plus prob about £15 a month on feed in winter (just has handfull of mix in summer so dont cost much on feed then)

Thats in the gloucestershire area.

missponymad

Visit site
Hello everyone

I used to be a keen rider as a teenager. I surrounded myself in everything equine and my best mate was my pony, Smug. I went to college to do a BTEC but fell quite ill with glandular fever- I left college and never really got back in to the saddle.

I've got a young family myself now and my daughter had her first lesson last weekend. I'm seriously considering some lessons myself but I'm a bit concerned that I'm too fat and too arthritic.

Anyway, being back on the yard at the weekend brought back so many happy memories and I spent a good few hours wistfully daydreaming of owning a horse again as an adult. Which of course led me to ponderings over costs. I remember 16 years ago DIY livery cost £12, straw was 50p a bale and hay was £1.50 a bale. Shoes cost less than £40 for a full set. I don't really remember how much it cost each month to keep the old boy on the road but I know mum and dad worked blooming hard for me to keep him.

How do those prices compare these days? I'm in the Midlands (I suspect the cost varies through out the country?) what ball park figure would we be looking at each month? I doubt it is doable for a good while yet, my health isn't stable enough (no pun intended!) but I'd be interested to get back up to speed on a few things never the less.

im sure your not to fat :) anyway there are always bigger horses that can carry more wheight. well done for wanting to get back into riding again. im sure you will enjoy it :D

diddydavies

Visit site
You go for it!! Iv'e just bought a horse after a 15yr gap and loving every minute. I lost a stone before he came and 1/2 since.

Is he expensive to run? absolutely, Do I mind the sacrifices we have had to make? No. It is like being a kid again. My OH says I look younger and seem to be happier than he has seen me for ages.

Just think of the fun your daughter will have whether you buy one or have weekly lessons, much better than sitting in front of an xbox.

RideYorkshire

www.rideyorkshire.org
Good for you! I started riding again 2 years ago after a 30-year break, and love it - I ride a couple of times a week now, at different riding centres, at my local RDA centre where they like the ponies to do something different from working with their regular clients, and on friends' horses. I don't want to buy one just yet (though plan to eventually) because the cost of owning is a bit scary just now, plus I'm picking up tips all the time about how to look after one when I do buy one. I wouldn't rush into buying one - maybe keep trying different riding and trekking centres, get your fitness and confidence back and then think about it.

Ladybird

Visit site
I'm in South Derbyshire and pay:

DIY livery (stable & 24/7 365 grazing, sand school) £16 p/w
Straw approx £1.75/£2 (Although I use shavings at £6, used 15 though last winter for my one that was in.)
Hay approx £4 a square bale (most likely to go up again soon!)
Shoes approx £55-60 depending on farrier

(Also insurance to consider, I pay £28 for my ridden boy but obviously depends massively on certain factors.)
Hard feed approx £20 p/m.