Getting back in the saddle...

SparklerStar

Visit site
So, I've been wanting to get back in the saddle for some time. I used to ride from the ages of 3-17 and worked with horses and ponies at the yard I rode at from the age of 12- mucking out, tacking up, helping teach younger ones you know. But due to circumstances I had to stop riding and I have been on a horse a couple of times since but I haven't been back at it properly. I'm 21 and still at university but I want to find a decent riding school that will help me get back to the level I was before and help me advance- I know most riding schools have overworked and bored ponies and I want to find somewhere which can help me attain a better level than just beginner really improve. When I was riding full time it was difficult to advance beyond a certain level I feel unless you have your own horse so my aim is to get back into riding and get back my knowledge to a suitable level so as to buy my own in a couple of years. I want to know though, how to get to the level of knowledge to actually own my own . horse- you know how to spot when they're lame, what feeds to feed, how much hay, how much time spent in/ out - more than just riding- but I don't know how to go about learning this in depth enough to own my horse? Are there any books you can recommend/ courses that don't take ages to go on/learn, I am based near Cambridge so if anyone knows of any good riding schools around I would die to know!

Anyway many thanks!

redapple

Visit site
You could do some BHS courses if you wanted. Otherwise you either buy and have a very helpful yard owner whose aware of your inexperience. Or put them on full livery at a reputable yard and ask lots of questions. Or if you are lucky and find the right owner take up a part loan first and learn that way!

I luckily started early and people are more keen to help out and teach children but I'm happy to be asked stuff by anyone. You also don't ever know everything. I've ridden for 26 years, had my own, ridden for others, part-loaned etc. and I still learn something new in every lesson, need to ask for help identifying subtle lameness or any number of other things. Don't be embarrassed about it would be the main thing, better to ask than be worrying you've got it wrong.

I'd get an old school stable management book, a good yard and ask lots of questions!

SparklerStar

Visit site
Thank you so much for you advice- I think you're completely right. I will definitely get a couple of books and do as much learning as possible and if I can definitely try and loan before I buy!

Tess Love

Visit site
You sound like a bright intelligent girl who will learn quickly. Perhaps a share would work for you where you’ll have someone to guide you through the first few months. You’ll never know everything nobody does but you’ll be able to learn the basics quickly. Good luck hope you follow your dream.