Getting back on after surgery

cheekywelshie

Visit site
To cut a long story short my horse and I both ended up having surgery within weeks of each other - him for a splint fracture, me, three weeks later for a fractured hip! ( non horse related!) Needless to say we are both on 'box rest' although he goes on paddock rest in a week. It will be a at least two months before either of us start the long road to recovery but I just wondered how anyone with similar experience has approached 'getting back on' after a long break and injury. Obviously due to my horse also being out of work we'll only be doing walk work for a while- but I'm even apprehensive at the thought of that! I think I may ask someone to get on him first as now I've got two screws in my hip I don't want to risk a fall, especially as he wouldn't have been ridden for about three months either. Before this happened we were doing xc and interval training - we both loved jumping but I am worried about ever doing
that after my accident, even though it was due to falling in the kitchen - as opposed to off my horse!

Fairy Dust

Visit site
I had to have knee surgery after my horse reared over on me, and whilst I should have been apprehensive getting back on said horse I was actually just so looking forward to riding again that I wasn't worried!

My horse had been kept ticking over so wasn't going to be very fresh, I made sure I rode first in the school with someone there. You could get someone to put you on the lunge? Just don't put any pressure on yourself and take your time, it took me quite a while to get my riding fitness back up as I'd had 3 months off, I was in the gym and having regular physio though which helped. I really found the progression quite easy and was so happy to be back on a horse instead of the sofa!

Good luck :)

cheekywelshie

Visit site
What physio did you do? I've been told to do none weight bearing for 6 to 8 wks and my knee is a bit stiff. Am doing toe touch walking on crutches and stretching my leg backwards forwards and sideways but wontsee the physio again for about 5 wks