Getting Fit to Event - riders...

bandit

Visit site
Hello - I need help!

Well, a bit of advice really... Took my new mare to an Eventers Challenge @ the w/end where the XC and SJ was combined and time was 3.40 mins - or there abouts... And i was totally knackered when i finished... She was hard work in as much as she donked her head down after every fence so spent the next 4 strides getting her back on her hocks each time.

But i wondered what the best excercises were for getting fit to ride round XC would be, as i know Intros times are roughly 5 1/2 mins... eek!!!

Thanks in advance.

Bx

H-J

www.piczo.com
Do your interval training, or getting them fit for eventing should keep you fit, cantering with XC stirrups and position should help you too.

Maybe you could go running ro swimming as well if you are worried. Or riding other horses helps if you can.

Rambo

Visit site
LOL! I had EXACTLY the same feeling after our attempt at an EC on saturday...only our optimum time was 6mns 30secs ! I was completely knackered by the end of it
shocked.gif
Lost loads of weight though
grin.gif

BBs

Visit site
HAHA dont worry Intros are rearly more than 4.5 minutes - you occasionally get the longer ones but a lot arent a lot more than 4.12 Optime.

I skip though the summer this really helps me keep fit - tbh at intro level the horse doesnt have to bee overly fit! and as your mare is TB you wont find her difficult to keep fit! just with the schooling and jumping you do at home plus competitions will get her way fit enough - not like Ludo and my Winston who need to be kept working all the time!

Swimming is good also - but skipping (as i hate running) up to about 300 skips is very beneficial - plus you will be walking courses (2 miles) so that will keep you fit too
grin.gif

Your mare sounds a bit like winston - who also nose dives after fences (losing balance) but I find if i kick on after fences he picks himself up well.

Naww youre gonna have so much fun next year
smile.gif

bandit

Visit site
I'm not allowed to run - i'm under guidance of my back man - things i know i can do are swimming, cycling, riding. non impact things - got very told off for playing rounders in teh summer!!!!

haven't really been concentrating on her fitness as she's quite fit enough at the mo - !!!

BBs

Visit site
Can you use a cross trainer? as obviously skipping isnt gonna do your back any good
frown.gif

I have a cross trainer and rower which i use at home - however i struggle cos i just keep building up more muscle GAHHH!

Swimming i think is probably the best form of exercise.

Yes you are quite right - you dont need to be doing anything like interval training atm!
You will end up struggling with an over fit horse else! however cantering out of the plate with xc stirrups does indeed help build the right muslces in your legs but equally you can do that same sort of thing balancnig on the end of a step! lowering your heals and the raising them again - blimey that does half hurt lol

bandit

Visit site
hey BB's!!!

yes - don't need to worry about mare's fitness as she came through it ok, slightly tired at the end, but any fitter at this stage could be interesting!!! LOL!

not sure i can skip - will check with my back man as not allowed to do any 'impact sports'...

as it was our first event, we hacked around so didn't really kick on after fences, plus we don't yet have stud holes yet coz i fogot to ask - never needed on sturdy Ludo!!!! we even managed to be 20 seconds over the time!!! bless her...

yeah - sooooo excited about eventing next year now - have the winter to sort her dressage out and for us to learn all about each other. you'll have to be my groom sometime next year and meet her!!! she's chalk to Ludo's cheese!!

Bx

H-J

www.piczo.com
I agree interval probably wasnt the best word to use! Just cantering out of your seat with XC stirrups when out on hacks etc will help.

SillyMare

Visit site
Running, cycling and general gym stuff for me through the winter.

In the summer I am riding all the time and I find fitness looks after itself.

As BBs says, Intro courses are usually fairly short - you will be fine.

Tempi

Visit site
ive just started pilates on advice of my back lady (i had a slipped disc not long ago) - and it really helps build your 'core strength', its also good for toning your stomach muscles as its all about breathing correctly.