Getting fit to race ride?

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I've said this every season for the last god knows how many... but i really am going to do it this time.. start point-2-pointing!!

The only thing i've worried about in the past is getting fit!!

I ride anything between 5 - 8 horses a day, every day!!
What else do i need to do??
I can't run, as i've no ACL in my left knee, so running is out of the qustion, as is swimming (ear problems)..
Would rather you didn't suggest riding my bike, as i don't like it!!
So that leaves something at the gym, which i'm more than happy to do!!
I'm strong enough, but really need to built on stamina!!

So when should i start (like how many weeks before my first race).. and how long should i be training for (ie how long should each session last)??

Thanks muchly
grin.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
There was a series in H&H recently where that lady got race riding fit. Mostly core strength as this is what you will really need. Would suggest some personal training sessions as will work on a programme for you.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Rowing machine is the best job. I usually do 1000 metres slowly, then 200 metres sprinting. Start with 2 lots, at the most I do 5. You may want to do more, I usually run for 20 mins and up to an hour on the x trainer on top.
The lots you ride every day should give you a good level of fitness stamina wise. I think youll find its your strength that needs work on. The work I described on the rowing machine is equivalent to interval training running wise, jog, sprint, jog, sprint. Basically you need to work above your aneorobic level, this is where you will get your strength from at the end of a race. If you can get on a x trainer with a heart rate monitor you can check this.
Sooner you can start the better, but nothing will totally prepare you for race riding. It will take you a fare few rides to learn how to conserve yourself fitness wise for the whole of the race.

severnmiles

Visit site
Paddy, (guidance person I have!
smile.gif
) told me to take the seat off of my bike and oh hell it kills at first, but your legs will feel heaps stronger, if you really hate biking and your horse is upto trot work then trot for 20mins with your a*se out of the saddle so that all the weight is in your legs, same effect to biking with no saddle.

Rowing is good, I don't have a machine but I have a boat and a lake, I put my lovely heavy dog in the boat with me too so its harder to row and did about 20mins in the morning, my arms were much stronger. And I was running too but you can't do that bit.

I'm out at grass now though
smirk.gif
lol

I'd love to know how you get on...

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I can use the X trainer! and the ones at the gym have a heart rate monitor!
Will also have a go with the rowing machine!!

I know you say the sooner the better!! But at a random guess how soon? i mean if my first ride was sometime in Jan, would my starting at the gym end Oct/start of Nov be to late??
Or are you meaning i should get myself down there tomorrow?
crazy.gif

My only other slight worry is my knee.. it take the amount of riding i'm doing now, and all the eventing, it should be fine with racing shouldn't it?

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Only way to find out is to give it a bash. Try riding out with your stirrups 5 holes shorter for day - will give you some idea of the strain it will be under. 6 weeks would be grand, seeing as you are half fit already.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I can't go any shorter, there are no more holes, and my knees are on their withers already haha.

If (meaning when) i do this, i think i'll be shitting myself big time
crazy.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Do it with me, we can hack round at the back like a pair of old grannies, then everyone else has fallen off, race to the finish
wink.gif

At last there's no dressage involved
cool.gif