Getting foal used to being on own...

ldlp111

Visit site
Hi me again :eek:

Just wanted advise for when foalie arrives as to how to get her used to being on own for couple of hours whilst my other two go out for a hack, this will be once to two times a week at most at the moment. I'm thinking best to put her in the stable and would it be best to shut the top door? I'm also at the moment thinking it would be best to either put a grill or board up the window as it's fairly low and don't want to risk her jumping out. Or I can get a grill to put on top door so she can still see out but not jump out? Would it be best to put her in stable every day or two days for increasing amounts of time before I take the other two out etc :)

Any advice very welcome :eek:

DonkeyClub

Visit site
I wouldn't do it, I'm guessing its a newly weaned foal so will be away from mum and in a totally strange place. Foals can do suicidal things at this age. Why risk it? Let it settle for 6 months or so then if you have to leave it on its own make sure the stable is totally safe, free of any nooks and crannies or holes that it can poke legs through or cut itself on.
Would def shut top door - not a grill ( will poke a leg through that) and make sure someone stays with it to check it doesn't try to climb out of the box& a person there will help calm it down.
As I say I wouldn't do it for a long while. Foals can do all sorts of suicudal things when left on their own :-(

AMW

Visit site
Imo they have to learn your routine and get on with it (safely). Use a mesh grill rather than bars, first time take haynet and water bucket out and have someone to stay close by to keep an eye. Some bother, some dont, its what they get used to and how its dealt with. Never had a suicidal one yet.

dianchi

Visit site
Food I found was the answer when mine was a foal provided she had that she was fine. I would suggest a grill to start with just In case!

ldlp111

Visit site
Hi I was thinking about putting her in when she has her brekkie and then increasing how long she is in there etc. Until she is used to being in there on her own for couple of hours. Only other thing I worry is if she's hears the other two walk off ie hoofbeats on the concrete, but I guess I could get her used to hearing this whilst in etc. So you think a grill on top of door instead of shutting it? Will perhaps see if OH can make me one on hinges so like a top door as in you can have it open or shut etc. I just don't want another one that will fret when left on her own, so figured if I start early would be better. :) thanks :)

CBFan

Visit site
I think you are right to tackle this while she is still so young.

Personally I would do as you suggest, bring her in to feed her in there and leave her for increasing amounts of time, give her hay to munch on as well as a bucket feed so that she learns that stable= food :) For the first few times you go out, I would shut the top door, open it as soon as you return. Then I would try with a grille up until you are sure that she won't try to get out (i.e she shows signs of being relaxed on your return) and then finally take the grille off and perhaps have someone just pottering round the yard to keep an eye on her for the first few times you do this..

Rollin

Visit site
I always put into a box with a grill. My Clevelands have too much bone to poke a leg through and sufficient arse to jump out no problem!! if there is not one in place. I am about to start weaning our March filly.

Over the past few days I have introduced her over the fence, to a three year old Arab who will be one companion and today pony Rollin has joined her and mum. Next week she will be separated from mum at night in a stable with a talk grill.

Then we will start mum back into work for just half an hour a day. I expect to take about four weeks slowly weaning.

carolineg

Visit site
Rollin have you used this method of weaning before? It is very similar to what we are planning to do with our filly in December (end of May filly). She goes out in our small herd now, there are 5 altogether. We have noticed Mum is now being bit of a bully in the stable and may need to move this date forward. Foal is 13 hh and looks well and is generally pretty confident and interacts with the others in the herd.

templewood

Visit site
I think that it's important to see the world from a foals point of view. In the wild, a foal that is separated from the herd is a dead foal. Instinct tells them to stay with the herd at all costs, even if it means risking injury. I wouldn't leave a young foal on it's own, it is far too stressful for them. Ideally they should have young companions to play with. Failing that they should be part of a herd, where they are never left alone. They are only babies!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I think that it's important to see the world from a foals point of view. In the wild, a foal that is separated from the herd is a dead foal. Instinct tells them to stay with the herd at all costs, even if it means risking injury. I wouldn't leave a young foal on it's own, it is far too stressful for them. Ideally they should have young companions to play with. Failing that they should be part of a herd, where they are never left alone. They are only babies!

Ditto, ditto, ditto! You CAN teach a weanling to stay on its own - it won't be happy and it will probably get ulcers - and will certainly grow up to be anxious! Anyone who goes to get a foal - who doesn't have a retired pony or similar to be its permanent companion, should buy 2!!

Spring Feather

Visit site
I'm another breeder who would never leave a foal alone without its herdmates. I don't know whether there have been any studies done but I can vouch for all of my youngsters being very confident horses in their early years and that may or may not have anything to do with them never being put in scary situations as foals. Once they're late yearlings, early 2 year olds it's fine to start doing some form of gradual separation to get them ready for their adult life, but a foal is a baby and I personally wouldn't do it to mine.

Capriole

Visit site
Me too, I'm in agreement with the posts above. I certainly wouldn't be rushing to leave any of mine alone.

(Also re: Janet's point - Mine will all be off to their new homes before long and they will all have companions of the same age (one person has just borrowed another foal) apart from one who has brought an old pony back off loan who will be a companion.)