Getting him going!

LHIS

Visit site
I'll try and keep this brief! :D
I have a 5yo Welsh X gelding and we've spent the past few months working on our riding (and my confidence). My pony has been wonderful, he's naturally forward going but has toned it down whilst I've been getting used to riding again. I'm now ready to crack on, my confidence is nearly back at previous levels and this is reflected in my riding and manner with my pony. My pony seems to have other ideas, he's evidently got used to a slower pace and trying to get him going is difficult.
I'm not currently riding following an operation and have 2 more weeks to endure out of the saddle, so I've been doing long reining with him. My plan was to work on getting him going here, but again pony is still so relaxed and laid back. I can flap, jump up and down, be very very animated and he just looks at me with a 'what are you doing mother?!' look.
The issue is definitely me, in the hands of my instructor he is sharp and the forward going pony I know he is. She flaps at him and he explodes with a burst of energy.
My question is - how do I get this back? He did used to be like this with me, but as our bond has strengthened he's become much less sharp and is so relaxed. I love the fact that he's really looked after me when I needed it, but I'm keen to crack on (once I'm allowed to ride again)!
Advice/suggestions most welcome.

Katastrophy

Visit site
It sounds like he's confused TBH- why would you be 'flapping' at him on long reins? How are you asking him to go? Does he respond to vocal aids under saddle?
Has he longreined before? Does he lunge? Sorry- many questions!

LHIS

Visit site
It sounds like he's confused TBH- why would you be 'flapping' at him on long reins? How are you asking him to go? Does he respond to vocal aids under saddle?
Has he longreined before? Does he lunge? Sorry- many questions!

By flapping I mean getting him going forward more positively. He responds to voice commands. If I ask him to get a more positive forward movement I struggle to get it so to get a reaction I have to do something. When he's being long reined he's generally alright, but on long lines two line lunge with a roller he's sluggish, and though he does respond it's not as sharp as I'd like him to be and he's a bit lazy. I don't one line lunge him because I don't feel it's productive for us.

SpringArising

Visit site
Mean what you say and say it with intent.

Some people kick, kick, kick but you can see their lack of actual motivation!

Have a look at his diet and exercise regime. Is he overweight? Is he getting the right sort of energy for what he's doing? Is his work interesting and varied? Are you physically holding him back inadvertently?

Do you have someone you could go on a 'fun ride' with to give him a bit of spark?

LHIS

Visit site
Thanks - he's bob on weight wise, and his diet is fine for what he's doing now. He is a really clever little lad and I do wonder if it's just he's a little understimulated and that's why he's so laid back. He really enjoys hacking and having a good nosey and we have been doing this prior to my operation. Hacking presents another issue though, because he is excited his responses to my aides (mainly asking him to steady) can be delayed (though I do usually get it). This is why I wanted to get back on the ground and get him sharp to the aides, but perhaps if he's bored with this then maybe long lining out on a hack is an idea?

I've been working on my contact (having previously identified my contact and tenseness was inadvertently asking him to be steady) but that's solved after months of lessons getting my riding right.

He would absolutely love a fun ride, there's definitely possibilities for this in the new year.

Shay

Visit site
It is probably a subtle body language thing - as Katastrophy says he is confused. Or at least not reading what it is you want to communicate. Could you ask your instructor for a lesson on the ground as you are not riding just at the moment? Even long lining you can use a whip for emphasis - but be cautious in case he kicks out. But he needs to learn to move positively on command.

It is also worth looking at his diet etc. If you've been out of the saddle for a while he has also been out of work. no-one works forward positively if they are a bit plump - or wearing the furry equivalent of a sauna suit!

Katastrophy

Visit site
Do you purely use vocal aids and flap (though I'll be honest, I'm still not sure what you mean by flap unless you're physically flapping your arms while holding the reins at which point he'll be getting very mixed signals as his bit will be jangling his teeth...)?
I long rein and lunge combined, using circles, straights and lateral work (I ride and drive so it's very useful to them!) and use two reins, a whip- usually a driving whip- for extra instruction. The horse isn't hit- it's tapped behind the girth to ask for bend, on the bum for impulsion and along the flank for lateral work, just as if I'm driving. But alongside the whip handling, you have to be so careful with your hands so as to give the correct aids all round and not drop contact. It's not an easy option, I'll be honest, and I'd ask an expert locally for help to show you what to do. Good luck!

LHIS

Visit site
I use voice commands primarily, if he ignores me or isn't sharp I will do something to get a reaction, usually a stamp, or chicken wings (I am mindful not to yank or release the contact when doing this) or slap the loose end of the line on my boots. I also keep an eye on my body language and positioning in general, I try and be in a triangle with him, more towards his back end to drive him forwards. My groundwork isn't perfect by any stretch and I am having lessons on this.
I don't use a whip, historically he's never needed it and like you suggest I'm not sure I could maintain a good balanced contact and hold a whip, and probably be counter productive.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I would imagine the chicken wings/flapping is confusing him and can't really see how it would encourage him forward. In your shoes I'd probably look at carrying a whip to encourage him forward instead or ask for guidance from your instructor.