Getting legs clean...white legs!

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
This is probably trivial to most, but am taking piebald to show Sunday, unfortunately sharer had lesson on him at another equestrian place other day, it was good for them, but it was on shredded rubber surface and though he was bandaged his legs below and above bandages are now black!, haw washed them twice now, once with diamond white shampoo and today with fairy, they are still grey! Help please.

kajabe

Mancunian at heart but I have a deep desire to tra
Visit site
The night before:- I use boots value shampoo (its blue;)) - and lots of it! i then dry the legs thoroughly and apply talcon powder and rub in.
Morning of the show:- I brush the talcon powder off with a flick brush
At the show:- Apply a rather large amount of chalk and hope for the best!! :D
My mares back legs were gross due to her being in season and they were black :/ her legs were gleaming after i did the above!! :D

daydreambeliever

Visit site
Pig oil is good at bringing the dirt to the surface, you could try putting it on allow a good 24hrs to dry and then brush out/off then wash legs again if you feel the need.

StormyMoments

Visit site
head and shoulders shampoo is good apparently and other then that chalk powder and water mixed together into a paste, rubbed into legs then bandaged and then take the bandages off and brush the excess powder out the next morning then vwalla white legs :)

wits end

Visit site
This is with equimend show shampoo, compare her one clean leg to 3 unwashed :D
398319_378630572157983_183646474989728_1358583_1833863951_n.jpg

NicoleS_007

Visit site
I use Supreme Blue Shampoo. I usually blob the shampoo straight onto the damp horse, scrub with a water brush and leave for about 5 minutes. Then wash off and repeat a second time for gleaming white bits :D

Achinghips

Visit site
Washing up Liquid to get rid of all the grease, then tesco value baby - my lad has such huge feathers I use a whole bottle per leg - 12p. Finish with old ladies silver shampoo from pound shop (by now you can use a small amount per leg). Chalk up - can't really bandage my lad as feathers are too thick and he'd be like a boil in the bag chicken overnight, esp as barefoot. Brush chalk out in morning. Take talc to show for last minute touch ups.

Ashleigh_

Visit site
Washing up Liquid to get rid of all the grease, then tesco value baby - my lad has such huge feathers I use a whole bottle per leg - 12p. Finish with old ladies silver shampoo from pound shop (by now you can use a small amount per leg). Chalk up - can't really bandage my lad as feathers are too thick and he'd be like a boil in the bag chicken overnight, esp as barefoot. Brush chalk out in morning. Take talc to show for last minute touch ups.

^^^ Ditto all of the above, it works a treat and is far far cheaper than all the expensive show shampoos.

Lexie81

Visit site
Carr and day martin do a spray for stains, its brill use it for shows for our welshie with 4 white long socks, usually wash them with shampoo, spray with the stain remover, leave for 5 mins then scrub a bit then rinse out. If any stains on the morning of the show just spray on and rub a bit and they come out. Its fab stuff! Then use loads of chalk at the show!!

Tnavas

Visit site
I have 9 white legs to clean for every show>

Hand Hot Water
Washing Up liquid - Sunlight if you can get it
Blue Shampoo
Curash Baby Powder
Nail Brush
Toothbrush
Clean bandage pads and bandages - I have white hand towels for this job and white or blue bandages

Scrub legs with Washing up liquid and gently scrub with the nail brush, rinse then wash with blue shampoo again scrubbing well into the hair.

Rinse well and towel dry

Mix Curash baby powder with some warm water to make a soft paste
Apply to legs with toothbrush working well in - you can be generous

Bandage and leave until ready to ride. Brush off any excess powder

And the Proof!

Serenity.....................................................
WishawSerenityJan2010024-1.jpg

Serenade .................................................
ClevedonAPShow2008003.jpg

Fantasia..................................................
WishawFantasiaJan2010032.jpg

Last edited: