Getting mains electric to middle of field?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Afternoon,

*Firstly this is a temporary thing so digging channels or a large frame above ground arent viable options*

I want to get mains electric from the outside of field across 10m to get to an inner field that will be it's own small track and turn out pen for lami ponies.

I have mudcontrol slabs which are my first idea as can lay the cable and put a row of slabs over BUT, 20 slabs (10m long) is 5 square metres of slabs which would be better used as part of the fatty pen they are intended for.

I was wondering about using some of these? They are used for trucks etc to go over so should be ok for horses?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Floor-Cabl...ocphy=9046380&hvtargid=pla-451398848604&psc=1

Anyone got any cunning ideas?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Electric fence lead out cable enclosed in blue water pipe? You could make a long slit in the ground with a spade and embed the pipe at the bottom, so don’t need to dig a channel. We use blue water pipe to enclose our undergate cable.

This ^ I have electricity from the garage at the front of the house all the way up to the orchard enclosed in blue pipe and partially buried where needed. *touches wood* never had an issue with it yet.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
If you are going to have a cable you need to ensure it is compliant with current legislation as the last thing you want is to do is to electrocute yourself or your horses. You need to use armour plated cable buried under-ground to ensure it is safe and ensure that the correct consumer box is used so that if there is a short circuit the supply is automatically turned off.

Reactions: DSB

PurBee

Visit site
Safest to feed it through thick 1inch piping going across the 10m.

i have water hoses going through thick pipe across a horse area and they step over it. It wouldnt crush even if they did step on it.
once they know its there they are able to navigate it and remember its there.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Why dont you just run a strip of electric fence to carry the current to where you need it?

Because the bit the electric will be going to is the middle section of a track, which will have it's own mini track with shelter in it. The electric will come from along side where it says gate on sketch below. There will also be two 2m earth stakes there as well :D

IMG-20200417-WA0001.jpg

NLPM

Visit site
Like lots of others, we run lead out cable through blue hosepipe for our track, which is 8m wide. Originally I put rubber matting over the top but I wanted the mats elsewhere so I moved them - no one has tripped over the hosepipe yet (miracle really, given my mare's ability to trip up over just about everything else). ETA - it's bedded in now over time anyway, although not so much we couldn't move it if we wanted to. Save the mcm for your fatty pen!

hobo

Visit site
Trust you to be different most of us have to make do with blue and you have yellow! Slightly wider than blue will work well as if you do not put a cut along it it can be hard to push the wire through.