Getting on...

Nessa4

Visit site
Ancient 5.9' rider on a 17.3 warmblood, and no, not a chance in Hell that I can get on from the ground! Can't even do the long stirrup thing as my poor legs will no longer stretch up that far, and if they do, then the ancient arms can't pull myself up, so it has to be a wall, mounting block, bank or anything high these days. I dread having to get off, in fact I hate getting off full-stop because it is an awfully long way down and the said ancient ankles no longer flex like they used to do in my youth.

And before anyone suggests I shouldn't have had such a big horse, he was bred to be 16.2 to take me into my dotage. Sadly he forgot to stop growing!!!

Had to check that I hadn't posted this and then had a senior moment and forgot!! This is exactly my situation - right down to the difficulty getting off (though in my case it's not just the ankles, but also osteoporosis [brittle bones]). And the horse that forgot to stop growing. I am an expert at finding things to mount from, and we only use pub carparks that have a wall or furniture!!!

Limbo1

Visit site
Mine is 15.2 and I am 5'9 so yes easily. I use a mounting block for her back but have another entrance to our lands with gates so have to dismount and et back on there so do from ground. She is an expolo pony so standing sill to be mounted is not up there with her best things! Used to have a 17.2 that I could not get one mostly because he was a totally b+++er and did not stand still to be mounted even from a block. Left a couple of whips where they fell out hacking as the risk of loosing him or having to lead a snorting dragon home (bit of a prat) not worth the risk.

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
I have a question ... I always get on from a mounting block, and it is high enough that I can just swing my leg over without putting foot in stirrup. Horse seems to like that, stands like a rock. My horse is not very tall, about 15.0 but I really struggle with getting off, can't jump down gracefully as old with stiff ankles and knees now, and when I slide down carefully I feel bad because I am hanging onto the saddle a bit to ease my way down, and worry it is no good for his back. Should I teach him to stand at the mounting block for me to get off as well, just step off him basically, or is that a really mad and crazy/dangerous idea?? Does anyone else use a block to help dismounting (it's a big block, OH made it for me with breeze blocks and a big old flagstone on top).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My OH made me a high mounting block when I broke my left ankle. I have taught 3 different horses to stand next to it for getting off, as well as getting on. The ID very officiously marched a freind who was riding her up to the block at the end of their hack. Friend was laughing so much she nearly fell off! The smallest is 16hh, the others, 16.3 and 17hh. Nothing mad or dangerous about it imho

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
Great ... my next little project with my new boy then! Thank you. I had mentioned it to OH and he looked at me like I was mad ... so now I have the courage of my convictions!

edited to add ... I can just see my lad marching back on to the yard and lining up by the block with a look as though to say 'right, that's your lot ... off you get!!'

Last edited:

Imogen Rose

Visit site
I'm 5'5.. I have a 14hh that I vault onto, so no weight in the stirrup. She stands still 99%of the time! I have just taken on an ex racer, who has never been taught to stand still in any situation!! I can jump on with a foot in the stirrup on the move whilst hacking.. But when getting on at the yard I tie her to the gate and jump on from a mounting bock whilst she learns the concept of standing!

mytwofriends

Visit site
I'm 5'3 and my pony is 15hh. I can get on from the ground if all the stars are aligned correctly, ie, he stands like a statue (unlikely), we're parked on a slope so he's slightly lower than me and I'm not wearing anything bulky.

So chances are, I'm doomed.

I used to be able to hop on nimbly back in the 70's. Each decade that passed has left me less bouncy.

I did have to mount my friend's 16.2 boy from the ground a few years ago. There was nothing to use apart from a tiny rock, which I balanced on whilst it wobbled around. It wasn't dignified, but it worked! It must have been a placebo effect, as the rock was so tiny and would have made almost no difference!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I have just taken on an ex racer, who has never been taught to stand still in any situation!! I can jump on with a foot in the stirrup on the move whilst hacking.. But when getting on at the yard I tie her to the gate and jump on from a mounting bock whilst she learns the concept of standing!

Well, I'll cross my fingers for you because both those mounting techniques sound like a serious accident waiting to happen to me! I was always taught that mounting a moving horse with your foot in the stirrup (rather than vaulting on or getting a leg up) and mounting a horse that is tied up are absolute no no's from a safety perspective.

SallyBatty

Visit site
I was 5'4" but am shrinking with old age (now 60) and my mare is 15.2hh. I can just about get on from the ground still but it is very undignified and I only do so when I have had to get off during a hack and there is absolutely nothing to stand on. At the yard I use a mounting block or a wall and elsewhere I will use whatever is available: large stones and logs which have been extremely wobbly in some cases, walls, tree stumps, gates and banks or if there nothing available then find a slope so I stand her down from me to help slightly. And on one yard we were on when my mare was refusing to come in from the field one day I climbed up on to a cross country fence and got on her from that and rode her down to the gate in just a headcollar - think she was so surprised that she never really gave me any trouble bringing in after that.

SpottyMare

Visit site
I have a question ... I always get on from a mounting block, and it is high enough that I can just swing my leg over without putting foot in stirrup. Horse seems to like that, stands like a rock. My horse is not very tall, about 15.0 but I really struggle with getting off, can't jump down gracefully as old with stiff ankles and knees now, and when I slide down carefully I feel bad because I am hanging onto the saddle a bit to ease my way down, and worry it is no good for his back. Should I teach him to stand at the mounting block for me to get off as well, just step off him basically, or is that a really mad and crazy/dangerous idea?? Does anyone else use a block to help dismounting (it's a big block, OH made it for me with breeze blocks and a big old flagstone on top).

I dismount at a mounting block (but use the stirrup) as I ride western. It's not a problem providing the horse stands still and you remember where the mounting block is to put your foot on... :D

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
I'm far too chicken to use a stirrup to get off! I did have awful visions of horse moving off as I was kind of mid-way between him and block and ending up splat on the floor, so will use OH for some help on the ground for a couple of sessions until I know Henry has an understanding of what's needed, then I'm sure like the other poster's horse he'll be all too pleased to line up alongside to let me off at the end of a ride!

happyclappy

Visit site
5'1" and ride 14,3hh and 15.2hh. I do not attempt mounting from the ground but use a mounting block, not sure what I would do if out but generally find a hedge, fence or gate (or walk home!). However, I have given riding up now, since my 4yr old got seriously injured and cn no longer be used for anything.

pennandh

Visit site
H is 13.1hh, and I'm 5'7". I can get on from the floor if I have to (I've scrambled my way onto a 16.2hh warmblood without putting my stirrup down before), but I have serious right knee issues; so putting my left foot in the stirrup and jumping really hurts (I have this issue with mounting blocks, too) and trying to get on from the off side is something I have done a total of once, and will never do again because it left me with a limp for three days afterwards.

Normally, I climb the nearest available high ground (be it a mounting block, a wall, or a tree stump), pop my right hand on the pommel or just behind the fixed head (depending on which saddle I'm using) for balance and either swing my leg straight over or jump a bit if the 'high ground' isn't very high. I've never had an issue with anything not standing for me to do so (H will walk off if you put your foot in the stirrup). If there's a person around to give me a leg-up I will generally accept the offer, though.

9tails

Visit site
Mine is 16.1 and I'm 5'10. I can get on from the ground but wouldn't choose to. I can't bounce too well but even a kerb is enough to get the right amount of momentum so that I'm not pulling on her saddle as I clamber on. But it's absolutely as a last resort and I would try to find something to use as a mounting block.

xgemmax

Visit site
I'm 5'5" and horse is 15hh, I could get on from the ground if I needed to in an emergency however I don't as don't want to hurt his back