Getting over the counter meds for horse!

CobsGalore

Visit site
I have been to three pharmacies this afternoon to try and get some anti-biotic eye drops for my horse... and none of them would sell them to me!

Of course I didn't say they were for the horse, but each time they needed to see the patient before selling them!

Am I just going to the wrong chemists or does anyone else have problems getting over the over meds for the horse?! What lies do you use!? :p

disclaimer: I am not encouraging this :p, nor want the 'get the vet out' comments, which I will do if I can't get drops or there is no improvement tomorrow.

WelshD

Visit site
I know its bad but I say that NHS direct have told me to get the meds rather than go to the docs and that the patient is at home

I write down the ingredients on a bit of paper and hand that over rather than asking for the medicine in general which seems to add authenticity

*dons tin helmet...*

saalsk

Visit site
Lying to healthcare professionals about what you want the drops for ? and you wonder why they won't sell them ? when their professional livelihood is at risk if they get caught ?

I don't blame them at all - it's people using medications that are not legally allowed to be sold for animals, that has meant the stricter laws have had to be brought into place in the first place.

MileAMinute

Visit site
Lying to healthcare professionals about what you want the drops for ? and you wonder why they won't sell them ? when their professional livelihood is at risk if they get caught ?

I don't blame them at all - it's people using medications that are not legally allowed to be sold for animals, that has meant the stricter laws have had to be brought into place in the first place.

This, it's not fair to have to pay so much for animal meds, but that's life.
My pony recently needed Gentamicin eye drops. I could have gotten them from anywhere but I'm not prepared to lie so paid the vet instead.

CobsGalore

Visit site
You haven't said what the problem is but while you are waiting for the meds you could try putting a cold used teabag on his eye.

Thanks, I am washing it with warm water/eye wash and monitoring closely. I will get the vet out tomorrow if no improvement but I know they will just give me what is in Optrex/Golden Eye

I'll put WelshD's tin hat on too...

fatpiggy

Visit site

Not true. Brussels brought in Cascade (no human drugs to be used if there is a licenced animal equivalent) to restrict drugs getting into the human food chain - except that we don't generally eat horsemeat (well, not intentionally anyway) in the UK. The drug companies were quite happy to agree to it as it meant they could charge what they liked. In my case it was over £145 for the licenced (for dogs) drug where I'd been paying £16 for the identical human drug. And that was the absolute lowest price straight from the supplier as the vets very kindly didn't add anything on top. £145 only bought me 2 weeks treatment and there was also the cost of the other drugs on top as she got older... I reckon the final bill for the 18 years I had her was at least £44K. The price of love :)

Racergirl

Visit site
Nobody - pharmacist or vet worth their salt will give you antibiotics without seeing the patient - and even if it was for you, you wouldnt be allowed a prescription medicine (antibiotic eye drops) without seeing the doctor and getting a prescription. (or dentist as they are the others allowed to supply prescriptons!)

If you are so sure you will just be given optrex - why didnt you just buy that? Its not POM? might be a pharmaceutical I suppose (behind the counter rather than off the shelf)not sure - its a long time since Ive needed anything like that, but Im pretty sure its not a POM?

cooled boiled water with salt disolved in it, or cold tea is your best bet if you dont want to get the vet just yet - its good for fly eye and gentle on eyes.

Hopefully its just a bit of fly eye and will clear up quickly :)

CobsGalore

Visit site
Nobody - pharmacist or vet worth their salt will give you antibiotics without seeing the patient - and even if it was for you, you wouldnt be allowed a prescription medicine (antibiotic eye drops) without seeing the doctor and getting a prescription. (or dentist as they are the others allowed to supply prescriptons!)

If you are so sure you will just be given optrex - why didnt you just buy that? Its not POM? might be a pharmaceutical I suppose (behind the counter rather than off the shelf)not sure - its a long time since Ive needed anything like that, but Im pretty sure its not a POM?

cooled boiled water with salt disolved in it, or cold tea is your best bet if you dont want to get the vet just yet - its good for fly eye and gentle on eyes.

Hopefully its just a bit of fly eye and will clear up quickly :)

Optrex infected eyes is an over the counter medication used for treating conjunctivitis. You don't need a prescription but the pharmacist does need to sell it to you as it's behind the counter.

MrsNorris

Visit site
I expect it is the antibiotic chloramphenicol, commonly used for animals as well, but much cheaper from the human pharmacy and doesn't require a prescription, just the pharmacist to see the patient. Try taking your horse in :D :D :D (just joking!!)

MrSpam

Visit site
My vet once left me with a medium size tube of Canesten - human version, exactly as you buy in any chemist, for my gelding. It didn't last long and as it cost a small fortune through the vet, I decided to buy the next tube myself. I knew I couldn't mention it was for a horse, so I used to just go in and ask for the largest tube, own brand equivalent. The horse was an old boy with ongoing, but manageable problem - vet was kept informed and was fine about purchasing from a chemist.
I did go to a few different chemists in case they started asking awkward questions :)

CobsGalore

Visit site
I expect it is the antibiotic chloramphenicol, commonly used for animals as well, but much cheaper from the human pharmacy and doesn't require a prescription, just the pharmacist to see the patient. Try taking your horse in :D :D :D (just joking!!)

Yes exactly. That thought did cross my mind but I think I would get some funny looks...! :p

Carojo2010

Visit site
Years ago I had a pony whom used to get Sweet Itch in summer quite bad, so I would by him Benzyl Benzoate (Ascabiol) from my local chemist along with latex gloves. This went on for several weeks of my regularly buying 2 bottles a week, until one day I went in and the girl behind the counter said 'oh yes ermmm, the pharmacist would like to have a chat to you in private'
To which I politely smiled and said fine, thinking he was going to suggest he could order me larger sized bottles to save money and keep having to go so often, I did not expect what happened next!
On going into the private room, the chemist very politely said that while he understood the delicate nature of my problem and that I may be reluctant to see my doctor, after several weeks of self treatment and my problem not clearing I should seek professional advice. This confused me and I asked what issue he might be talking about.
To which it was revealed to me Ascabiol is a common treatement for pubic lice to which I went very red explained what I was actually buying it for along with the latex gloves, now there is a conversation I will never forget!!! lol :)
Im lucky now my local pharmacist will sell me items for my horses provided I tell him what I want it for, as Ive known him for years, even if my first conversation was very embarrassing :)

Beau jangles

Visit site
I bought goldeneye for my cat the other day over the counter in the chemist I told them it was for the cat and they where happy with that !
Had phoned the vet and they told me to buy it from the chemist as my son had passed his conjunctivitis onto the cat !
If you tell them it's for an animal and the vet had asked you to buy it would they be more inclined to sell you it ?
However vet did say it had to be the chloramphenicol one as has no steroids in it .

Last edited:

Tarbs

Visit site
Tell the pharmacist it's your eye and it's stuck together when you wake up & you think it's conjunctivitis. Give you eye a good rub just before going in. That should do the trick!!

Theocat

Visit site
Well, I tried to buy Epsom Salts and the pharmacist wanted to know what was wrong with me and then wouldn't sell me any for a horse. She sold me some "for growing tomatoes", though :p Absolutely no idea how one uses epsom salts on a tomato plant ...

ATrueClassAct

Visit site
I got some golden eye for my horse. Told the chemist it was for a horse. They said 'okay, aslong as you know we can't take responsibility for anything going wrong and its not a prescription'. Had used golden eye on her many times before.

CobsGalore

Visit site
Tell the pharmacist it's your eye and it's stuck together when you wake up & you think it's conjunctivitis. Give you eye a good rub just before going in. That should do the trick!!

I tried that... it didn't work!

However, I went to a well known large supermarket on the way home who had no problem selling it to me without seeing 'the patient' lol - horses eye much better this morning :)

kaluki

Visit site

I used to use these drops/ointment on my old mare, got first lot from vet, but after that, bought from my local chemist, he is very good he knew what it was for and gave them to me without question.
Did have a funny incident in another pharmacy a few yrs back, asked for a large bottle of benylin for neddys cough ( vet recommended) they asked who it was for etc, told them it was for a horse, and they said ''oh we don't recommend it for horses'' and I said ''you may not but the vet does, non drousy please'' well they were speechless............

welsh D can I borrow tin hat please............:)

indie999

Visit site
Yes you can get it and its a great pity in some ways as I realise why you are doing it to save a huge vet bill(I have done this tons of times). Ok professionalism is at stake and they have every right to refuse you(its cos you mentioned animal) BUT not long ago there were many drugs including Chloramphenicol eye drops that you would NEVER have got Over the Counter. With antibiotic resistance it amazes me that you can now indeed buy this just the same as Canesten (once too prescription only POM excuse the pun ONCE). So I have been refused like you and yes I have gone to another chemist to say its for one of my kids. Its the only way to get this sometimes. Lying yes but to me no its due to the cost that if I can get it cheaper etc, know what I am doing and save a vet call out. I always use to keep a little bottle of this in the fridge. As to antibiotic resistance the whole system is the cause so I dont blame you at all. There was uproar when there was talk of not being able to buy wormers except via a vet. How would we feel then. If you are being honest ie its for your cat dog horse at the local chemist then thats clearly no good. Common sense should prevail sometimes. I hate lying but its the only way. They may want to treat the whole family so you could end up with 1,2 3 tubes or drops. Good luck.

indie999

Visit site
I used to use these drops/ointment on my old mare, got first lot from vet, but after that, bought from my local chemist, he is very good he knew what it was for and gave them to me without question.
Did have a funny incident in another pharmacy a few yrs back, asked for a large bottle of benylin for neddys cough ( vet recommended) they asked who it was for etc, told them it was for a horse, and they said ''oh we don't recommend it for horses'' and I said ''you may not but the vet does, non drousy please'' well they were speechless............

welsh D can I borrow tin hat please............:)

My chemist knows me and are briliant they would get me huge bottles of benzyl benzoate in big brown couple litres. They were glad of the business and I was glad to be a good customer! As I say common sense should prevail. Like the Benylin....non drowsy!! (I dunno for some that could be agood idea).

fatpiggy

Visit site
Well, I tried to buy Epsom Salts and the pharmacist wanted to know what was wrong with me and then wouldn't sell me any for a horse. She sold me some "for growing tomatoes", though :p Absolutely no idea how one uses epsom salts on a tomato plant ...

I had something a little like this when I couldn't get any potassium bromide for love nor money as the (only) suppliers had run out and the (only) manufacturers were having production problems. Bromide isn't a POM but you have to have a prescription to get it (???)- unless you are into photography as it is used in photographic processing and then it seems you can have as much as you want. I was in a really difficult position as it was an essential part of the control of my horse's epilepsy, so not a minor thing. Luckily I happened to mention it in passing to one of my work colleagues and it turned out he used it as scientific callibrator and got me a half kilo from the stores on the QT. :)

Epsom salts makes tomatoes big and fat and tasty!

Quantock-cob

Visit site
Just please be careful treating eye conditions with anything if horse has not been checked by a vet. A friend did this and when she eventually got the vet out to have a look the horse had a nasty scratch on his eyeball. Luckily the drops she had used hadn't caused complications, but if left untreated for any longer the vet said the horse may have gone blind in the eye.

sunnyone

Visit site
My vet also recommended Benylin for horses, never any problem buying it as I'd just say I lived out in the country and needed to be on the safe side. I never used any other brand as I reckoned if it was good for them, it'd work for me.

Epsom salts are/were used for curing sheepskins, so simply say you're making your own rugs.

In France the vet gives the animal a prescription which you then take to the chemist for cheapness. Why is the UK different I wonder?

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I have purchased meds from chemists for my animals before. When they ask who it is for I just say it's for my nan, who is house bound and has asked me to pick some up for her. They always seem to be okay with that story.

sandi_84

Visit site
When my lad had ringworm I got him some cream from the pharmacist, I just told them it was for my horse.... and I'd use it on myself if I got it too, they sold me it no problems :D

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Sunnyone that's how it works in the UK too. Or you can buy the medication direct from the vet. The problem is that calling out the vet, plus cost of examination and prescription charge, can easily mean a bill of 100 pounds in some cases. The medication itself may only cost 5 pounds from the chemist.