Getting rid of doggy smell from a sofa

Hanno Verian

Visit site
I've just moved house, and have been given a sofa and arm chairs by an old friend, the intention being to use it for a while until I replace it. With my work pattern I'm away for two months then back for one, the sofa isn't my highest priority as I'm pretty much furnishing the cottage from scratch, I'd planned to replace them in six months time.

The sofa has been in his barn for a couple of months and his dogs have been laying on it, I picked it up, stripped the seat covers off it and washed them, plus hired one of the "Rug Doctor" machines and used the upholstery cleaner attachment on the armrests, and parts that I couldn’t remove, but I didn't use it on the foam rubber seat cushions. It came clean but the foam seat cushions smelt a little doggy despite febreezing them, I put it all back together, it did have that distinct whiff of dog too it but I thought that it was bearable and would decrease.

I'm now away overseas and my friend who's keeping an eye on the house has told me that it absolutely reeks of dog, despite her efforts with febreeze and opening the doors and windows for limited periods.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips how to get rid of the smell, I don't want to spend huge amounts as I'm planning to replace it early 2011, but I don't want to live in what smells like a dog kennel, plus just to add to the problem, the friends who donated the sofa are coming for dinner when I'm home next and wouldn't be aware of how doggy it was so I don't want to embarrass them.

The only thing I can think of is to strip it right down and hand wash the foam seat panels in the bath with hot water and detergent in the hope it will get rid of it.
It has been suggested to saturate, in fact virtually soak the cushions in Febreeze as that will neutralise the bacteria that is causing the smell, but for the size of the sofa, I could well need gallons of the stuff as its a 3 seater sofa, two armchairs and a pouffe

Anyone any practical advice or experience???

(Post repeated in Soapbox)

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
In my experiemce Febreeze is the worse thing you can do - it only 'hides' the smell it doesn't get rid of it.

If it was me I would go for stripping it back as far as possible and then washing it with hot as you can stand it water and bleach followed by another wash using an all purpose cleaner. Then wash all the covers again.

Sorry bit of a job.:eek:

Sandstone1

Visit site
There is a spray called pet fresh that you can get from pet shops, it is really good at getting rid of pet smells, also if we ever get another dry sunny day could you put them outside for a few hours this might help.

jojo5

Visit site
Hi
Can i sneak a different pet query in here and hope no one notices before I get an answer? Because my OH's cat ( before he was pts) weed several times in a far corner of our living room on our floorboards, it has meant that our remaining cat wants to wee there too and we have to keep her litter tray there. There is often a smell emanating from the boards (we don't have carpet). We have tried all the usual things like bleach, disinfectant, and 'Petgone' type products. We can only think of sanding the boards back, disinfecting and resealing. Any ideas or really good solutions?
Thanks

jojo5

Visit site
Hi
Thanks for this - my OH (very precise, he is) says how much spirit or meths to water? And does the smell of that hang around?
Thanks again

Rana

Visit site
Recommended by our puppy school trainer:

Biological washing powder, diluted 1 part powder to 10 parts water
Leave to dry
Wipe over with surgical spirit

Seems to work, but may stain (seems to be ok on carpets and laminate floor, but I accidentally got some on a chest of drawers and it's marked).