Getting rid of rubber smell from feedbowls

tiggs

Visit site
I have bought a new rubber feedbowl and can't get rid of the rubbery smell. It has been in the garden for two weeks and I have just brought it in because of the storms tonight and it still smells strongly of rubber. I was going to use it to put all my horses Christmas presents in but he won't eat from it if it smells so strong. Any tips for getting rid of the smell?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I bought new ones recently. I did like you, I left them out in the rain for a week or so, scrubbed them with washing up liquid and a brush a couple of times and left them again. Mine weren't that bothered by the smell though (but I wanted to be sure). If he's still fussy, perhaps make a feed with sugar beet or molasses and rub it around the bucket, leaving it overnight, then tip it away, brush the bucket out slightly (not washing) and put his normal feed in it.

tiggs

Visit site
Thanks, I have left it soaking overnight with washing powder and a splash of white vinegar then will put it outside again in the morning. I think this must be a different make as I have always used rubber feed bowls and they have never smelled as strong. I did look at the tub trugs but I think he would wreck them.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes I've used them for years but noticed the smell more this time (and the label inside was hard to remove too!). I'm not a tub trug fan in general. They don't last half as long.

popsdosh

Visit site
Am I correct you are going to all this trouble before you even try to use it. how do you know he will have an issue . If he did ,hunger usually does the trick.

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
I had the same trouble - neither the 2 yr old nor the 4 yr old would eat from it - solved the problem by feeding the starved (in her opinion) pony out of it for a week or so till the smell had gone!! Not that's of any help to you, but as suggested already, maybe try leaving some feed in it for a while & see if that helps get rid of the pong!!

tiggs

Visit site
Am I correct you are going to all this trouble before you even try to use it. how do you know he will have an issue . If he did ,hunger usually does the trick.

I have never bothered before but this smelled so strong I couldn't bear to have it in the house and he is very sensitive to smell.