Getting rid of winter coat

windand rain

Visit site
What is the best way to encourage the yak like coats to shed out. Have an early county show and both highlands young and old have at least 4 inches of guard coat. Will upping linseed help or just make them fat. Presently using a shedding blade most days but the youngsters coat is quite matted as its foal coat and winter coat so is a bit like cotton wool

Surbie

Visit site
I half clipped my giant teddy bear in December and he is showing no signs of shedding the rest yet. This time last year I was taking bucketsfull off him. He gets a healthy amount of linseed and it seems not to promote shedding for him.

Fiona

Visit site
Are they starting to shed naturally, or hanging onto their fur?

My favourite tool for shedding time is a round rubber item called a Grooma. Used in circular motions, it is amazing for removing large amounts of loose hair at one time...

Fiona

Antw23uk

Visit site
Probably wont help as you plan to show but I fully clip when they come back from their winter holidays. Well I clipped out my mare last year, it was a godsend so i plan to do both this year i just need drugs for the big lad and someone brave enough! After last years revelation I have decided to never deal with winter coat shedding ever again!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I use the Hands On gloves, then a 'polish' with a soft brush. I don't show though. Maybe a coarse clip all over? Mine don't lose their guard hairs until well into April.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have one of those apparently chainsaw blades in a wooden block, have tried a few and like the short ones of these for handling with my diddy hands.
s-l1600.jpg

Merrymoles

Visit site
I used a shedding blade and "hands on" gloves and at the moment am getting half a big skip bucket a night out of my hairy yak. My other favourite method is a good old-fashioned rubber curry comb.

Our YO bought us a shedding gadget for Christmas which looks a bit like a toothed wallpaper scraper and it is good but it's so small it takes forever so I've gone back to the blade and gloves for now. I think it is made by Lincoln.

However, I think it might well be good for the cat hairs when the time comes - they are showing no signs of coming out yet though.

Annagain

Visit site
Hands on gloves are good. there are much cheaper ones being advertised on facebook from a company called must haves or something like that.

SEL

Visit site
Militaire went out 24:7 for those two warm weeks we had in Feb and pretty much rolled his outer coat off. I use a metal shedding blade on him but it's a hard task and makes me sneeze.

He does get linseed because weight drops with coat change.

Visit site
I use a ferminator and the black lincoln grooming blocks every day. 3 of my shetlands are down to half coat now, one has a bit to go but is losing it rapidly the rest haven't even contemplated budging their coats!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I like the round metal curry’s for non sensitive parts followed my a rubber curry. Cheap and cheerful. I’ve had my eye on a furminator for ages but never too sure at £30 fir horse size last time I looked

catkin

Visit site
Lincoln grooming blades, round shedding blades and rubber curry combs copiously and in any combination!
None will work on a pony who is determined to keep winter woollies though.

If your ponies are hanging onto their coats so will everyone elses - not unusual to see fluffy tummies in the M&M classes at early county shows - if a pony is a good pony they will be placed with or without fluff.

windand rain

Visit site
Thanks everyone will let you know how it goes but they live out 24/7 so leaving lights on is not possible. I also dont fancy the risk of rugging the foal so will stick with elbow grease for now