Getting smacked on the butt by cantle over jumps!

pixiebee

Visit site
I jump in a rather deep seated gp and I cant say that it bothers me, ive never had any issues ata ll, have never tried a jumping saddle, so will for comparision! I had the same problem as you a few months back, only to discover though watching vids of me that it was infact my position. I was was folding and not coming out of the saddle much, so ofcourse as the horse goes over, i got bumped up the backside with the back of the saddle. Since improving my posisition, folding and lifting my bum out the saddle more, i have not had this problem, once, it was not the saddle but me!! Dont know if this is the same for you though!!!

pixiebee

Visit site
When I had that problem. i was folding but staying alomost put in the saddle if that makes sense!! I now fold but come slightly out of the saddle, well....far enough not be be smacked up the rear end and not far enough to be thrown off if that makes sense!!

pixiebee

Visit site
here is me jumping last week, a much more comfortable position if it helps me make sense!!!
astra29.jpg

the watcher

Visit site
Becky, try to concentrate on riding forward positively from the jump. Half my problem was that I had quite a defensive position, even over the bigger jumps, more of an old fashioned hunting seat complete with cab hailing, so i actually leant back quite a bit on the landing side (althoug i did give with my hands). I suspect that if I had stayed in a more forward seat I wouldn't have had the same problem - trouble is old habits die hard.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
was it a shop you brought your saddle from
as saddler a master sadller is qualfied person,, they would have brought you out saddles in your price range fitted them to the horse and then to you --
sounds like its just sales person of whom sold you the saddle and doesnt want it back

if the saddle lift when jumping or your butt is hitting the saddle
it does not fit -- you or your horse-- period

BeckyD

Visit site
It was a master saddler who fitted my saddle. And she brought a number of saddles and chose the only saddle that could possibly fit my horse (him being the shape he is) so yes it fits him perfectly. Cost wasn't an issue, I needed whatever saddle fitted my boy the best. And the fit was checked nearly 2 weeks ago. I think it's the most comfortable and easy to ride in saddle I've ever had the pleasure to sit in
smile.gif

It doesn't lift over jumps. It's my bum that lowers. And I fully agree with everyone else on here who say that it's a GP and that's why. I can jump up to 3 foot with no problem. Once I go over 3 foot then it starts to happen. As horsey has only just turned 5 I feel that it's a bit early to buy a jumping and a dressage saddle.

Thank you so much for your input.

BeckyD

Visit site
Thanks Mother Hen, that's really good advice. I tend to throw myself over smaller jumps but the bigger ones I have a much safer seat over, and am certainly mentally defensive and that probably carries across to my riding. I don't know why as Ronnie's never stopped at big fences, only little ones. I have a lesson on Friday and I'm hoping to ask my instructor to put a couple of bigger jumps up to see what's happening and to try to sort me out.

I really appreciate everyone's advice, thank you so much for taking the time.