Getting stressed in the stable

buddylove

Visit site
I have had my new mare for 6/7 weeks now, she is a 5 year old and came over from Ireland. She is an absolute sweetheart to deal with and lovely under saddle.
I am looking for some advice on the best course of action as she can get herself in a right state if I bring her in to ride and she is on her own in the barn. This is amplified if then horses start coming and going, I thought she was coming over the stable door at one point today!
I got her out and tied her up outside the stable, tacked up and took her out, she calmed down pretty quickly and was fine to ride.
She has just (in the last few days) gone out 24/7 and is on individual turnout (as most on the yard are). She is settled in her field and has been happy coming in over night, as long as others are in with her. Do i just persist in the hope she will chill out (bearing in mind she may take ages to fully settle) or is there something else I should be doing?

be positive

Visit site
She is young, just had major changes to her life and had barely settled to one routine now changed to another without even company for security no wonder she is stressed, you probably cannot change how she is kept unless you move yards so will need to work with what you have to help her feel more secure and relaxed, I would never expect a young horse to settle in a stable in those circumstances and would for now tie her up and get on with whatever I wanted to do, exercise then maybe pop into the box for a few minutes with hay or a feed then turn her out before she becomes unsettled, over time she should be better and the time can be gradually extended.
Making them put up with it will usually end up making matters worse and creating separation anxiety, as long as she gets a chance she will probably be fine by next winter when she needs to be in at night again.