Getting the desired canter lead after a jump?

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Can anyone help with this as my horse and I struggle sometimes, he tends to land on the right lead even if we are going left. Someone did teach me a really good method a while ago but I've forgotten it! Thanks.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Assuming you can select left or right canter lead at will on the flat (ie there is no basic physical or schooling reason as to why the horse will not pick up on a specific lead) then simple things like opening the left rein as you go over the fence or merely looking to the left can help.....this is basically about your body weight influencing the horse.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Thanks gunnergundog, he does pick up the correct lead easily on the flat. I try to do the things you suggested when jumping but often they aren't enough, then I find myself exagerrating and pushing all my weight to the side I want him to land on which probably doesn't help! It just seems to be abit pot luck whether I get the leg I want or not.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I've always struggled with my horse re landing on the left leg. It doesn't matter where we look, lean etc, she will only land on the left leg if she took off from left canter. Yet on the flat she is very well balanced and strikes off on either lead correctly every time. I think it is a tension thing. I've tried allsorts to fix it but never succeeded. I actually have to go back to trot and change leads mid course sometime.

humblepie

Visit site
Also possibly use some ground poles the other side of the fence in canter stride or have some poles set up in a circle in canter stride and then gradually build up to having a fence, even a small cross pole, just so your horse gets used to cantering and jumping out of that stride.

Only really works if you have a big enough school and enough poles!