Getting the dog into the car!! .... steps of a ramp??

Expo

Visit site
Hello all .... we have just acquired a LR Discovery. The back opens via a lift up door (top) and a drop down door (bottom). The resulting jump up and down for doggy is pretty high, so we are looking to get either some steps or a ramp to help. Anyone got such a thing they can recommend? Thanks all.

Bellasophia

Visit site
If you want a very cheap option that works get a plastic crate ,cover top with carpet square,leave in boot and use when needed..

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have got steps for my old collie as she was struggling, they were only about £20 but weight max is 20kg so they are quite lightweight... i think i got them from e bay, they are folding ones so easy to keep in the car, they can double as a ramp but it was too steep for my collie

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
You need something that doesn't fold itself, or falls over too easily. A ramp is probably better if the surfaces where you usually park your car is uneven, but if the surfaces usually is even, then maybe a 2 step stool for children could work?

Something like this:
31VaCrFQs-L._AC_SY400_.jpg

But it needs to have two proper wide strips of anti-slip on both steps, not just a wide one on the top step, and a thin one on the lower step.
If you're handy, I presume you could make something along the same idea, but in wood.

If you want to make a DIY ramp, I suppose that hooking it up to the car might be a bit different depending on your car, and if your dog travels on one of the seats, or in the boot.
I've found a few examples online, for example this one who the blogger calls Not pretty, but it works:

ramp-01.jpg

ramp-02.jpg

Further instructions on this page https://havedanewilltravel.com/diy-dog-ramp/

Someone else used a special type of closet shelves, put two together, and covered it with sturdy fabric:

F2O1CBHHXBG5MF9.jpg

FOFTZ58HXBG5NCK.jpg

FYNAYGJHXBG5NLY.jpg

First I wondered how much weight it could handle, but then I saw they built it for their Shar Pei, which I think might weigh up to 20 or 30 kg or something like that, so I presume it is sturdier than it looks.
Further instructions on this page https://www.instructables.com/id/Inexpensive-Doggie-Ramp/

Those are only 2 examples, there is more out there, some even foldable, but the foldable examples I've found required that you paid for the instructions. You can probably make a DIY dog car ramp as good as your handiness allows.

Not for car, but ages ago, I built this dog ramp to help an old Buhund to get up to the head pillow where she slept at night (she's been dead for about 15 years, so it has a new life as ramp up to a cat flap in a window):

50287168167_13ed2cf770.jpg

Upside down

50286343198_882e4bbc74.jpg

GSD Woman

Visit site
Are there Costcos in the UK? I bought a nice ramp for one of my GSDs. It folds but I never had a problem with that. It has a slightly rough surface to prevent slipping. My dog had done agility in his younger days and I just put a few pieces of freeze dried liver on it and he would go up and down it. By folding I could easily fit it in my vehicle.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Are there Costcos in the UK?

Yes, I can waste a lot of money in there very easily.

Is it not possible to lift the dog in and out? I”d be concerned about the weight of a ramp/steps, plus the storage if you need it for when you get to the destination.

I lift mine out but let them jump in. That will probably need to stop when they get older. Currently they’re keen but big dog needed a lift in and out as he got older.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Are there Costcos in the UK? I bought a nice ramp for one of my GSDs. It folds but I never had a problem with that. It has a slightly rough surface to prevent slipping. My dog had done agility in his younger days and I just put a few pieces of freeze dried liver on it and he would go up and down it. By folding I could easily fit it in my vehicle.

In case I need to clarify, I didn't mean that there is anything wrong with steps or ramps which folds only when you want to fold them. Just that one needs to be careful so you don't use something that might fold itself, possibly when your dog tries to use it, due to instability.

Not sure my clarification makes it much clearer what I meant.

fankino04

Visit site
I got a ramp recently for my girl as in her old age the jump into the boot is a bit much for her but it's definitely going to take some training to get her to use it. I looked at steps but the step parts all looked too narrow for and except the £200 ones can't find any that seem to stretch forward and up more than just up if that makes sense although some caravan steps look ok but our Argos is currently out of them

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
GSD Woman you've made a good point, ta. I need to train my lot that they can go up and down the ramp. Hadn't thought of that.

We put a folding ramp from Aldi flat on the ground to teach the Lab pups how to use it at first. One wasn't too keen on the idea and tbh they soon wanted to copy the Rott and jump in - and out. They now cause us great amusement jumping in and out to encourage each other to get in. But the Rott said 'you have got to be joking!'. She would rather jump in. The Rexton has a sort of built in step which helps her

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
We put a folding ramp from Aldi flat on the ground to teach the Lab pups how to use it at first. One wasn't too keen on the idea and tbh they soon wanted to copy the Rott and jump in - and out. They now cause us great amusement jumping in and out to encourage each other to get in. But the Rott said 'you have got to be joking!'. She would rather jump in. The Rexton has a sort of built in step which helps her

That's quite sweet.

Good thinking about having it flat first. Will try that. And will be armed with treats... They're all, thankfully, food oriented.

Chiffy

Visit site
I have a Dogwalk 3 it is brilliant. Use it for puppies that mustn’t jump, oldies , injuries or anything else that requires no jumping.
It’s not in use at the moment as I have three dogs in their prime that all jump in.
Its lightweight, firm, telescopic, easy to use in every way and no dog has ever refused to use it.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
GSD Woman you've made a good point, ta. I need to train my lot that they can go up and down the ramp. Hadn't thought of that.

Ramp walking requires balance, and not all dogs sees the point in making the effort of balancing two or three steps on a ramp, if they can get away with making one jump besides the ramp. I presume that it is easier with a dog that have seriously been trained on using the see-saw, and dog walk "fences" in agility, to get used to using a ramp. With my current dogs I tried to do what Chiffy does, get them used as puppies to using a ramp, so that it isn't a big deal if you need to reintroduce a ramp when they get old.

Besides, otherwise, when I think about how our environment looks, there is usually quite a few stairs which we humans like to build for ourselves both here, and there. And not only indoors, without outdoors as well. Our dogs gets used to walking in these stairs together with us, day in, and day out, and then suddenly, here we come with a ramp to make their life easier.

1e6

So a bit of ramp training is a good idea.

Actually, this thread have made me realise that I can't remember the last time I did any ramp training with my bitches, and training your balance is said to be good for the brain. I will probably go downstairs with them, and let them walk a few times up, and having to turn around on a windowsill, before going down Nessie's old ramp again, later today.

Chiffy

Visit site
You have a good point about training FL. The number of people I have heard say Oh but he won’t walk up the ramp!
My dogs have never questioned it because I do all sorts of training from a pup but I do introduce it flat on the ground for them to walk along, them put a brick under one end to raise it a little, then prop it onto a low garden step on the patio. It’s all pretty unnecessary really but might be helpful for some.

gallopingby

Visit site
I had a Solvit ramp when l had big dogs too heavy to lift in. Not the cheapest was stable and non slip and stored in the back of the disco. Some of the cheaper brands can sag in the middle so not as safe to use. I sold mine very quickly when no longer required.

SOS

Visit site
^This^

I am trying to be proactive and save her joints. She uses the ramp rather than jump out, in addition to using it to get in.

I think jumping down puts stress on the elbows/forelimbs.

Definitely a good idea to use ramps/steps rather than jump!

People say they wouldn’t do it if it felt uncomfortable but dogs are excitable, live in the second creatures. They don’t always link straight away jumping out with soreness/adrenaline covers it. Overtime it knackers their legs. We use the fold down step on our Land Rover, a feature on the older ones and not sure if can be fitted to new ones?