Getting the older horse fit

Blizzard

Visit site
Does anyone have any tips or advice?

Lance, who is 19 in feb, has only been getting hacked about once a week since the start of sumer, no fault of his own. Anyway Im able to ride more now so Im upping it to 3 times a week, once the nights draw out we can do more.

We have a school but the lining isnt v good and I dont feel comfortable using it in the dark....plus Lance is a slug in the school and its harder work for me than him!
grin.gif

Anyway I want to get him fit enough to do some veteren classes next year, and as my OH is learning to jump he wants to do some hunter trials on him, Lance knows all our local ones like the back of his hoof.

Now usually I would do lots of trotting up hills on the roads, but with Lance getting older I do worry about trotting for 10mins at a time on tarmac, so if anyone has any tips I would love to hear them! Lots of proper walking I know, but time is limited at the mo with the dark nights.

He is a loony on the lunge so not an option! Loose schooled he just gallops aound bucking and farting, so no point in doing that either!
tongue.gif

Thanks for any advice!
grin.gif

cameronD26

Visit site
hi my 19 yr old was competing 2 star but now retired and ridden probably just as much but not competed. I have kept him going and he is stronger than ever. My friend retired her xc county champ horse and hardly touched him and he became stiff and miserable so imo opinion getting them fit is spot on.

my trainer (a very good one) works with me and him and we do lots of work in the school to straighten him, which in turn helps him work much better. We do lots of diamonds asking him to turn his should instead of pulling him round a circle, turning it into a circle and closing it down. We do this in walk trot and canter. when you reduce the circle right down to as small as poss and you let him come to into a natural walk and then he's righ back on his hind legs. He becomes so natural balanced with these simple exercises.

We work straight lines and moving his shoulders to the left for a three strides and then move them to the right for three strides all the way down the long side but away from the boards. My horse turns without the need to pull the inside rein at all he works from the outside rein.I enjoy these exercises with him and the trot and canter are fab once he's all lined up! I'd suggest a really good trainer once a week that will give you homework like mine does and ideas so you don't get bored, if you're inspired you'll enjoy it and do more. Good luck.

cameronD26

Visit site
i would add that the feed will be important too as I'm still giving mine a slow release energy mix, i was told by feed company that unless he's showing signs of being 'old' then there is no need to treat him as such. So his food matches his exercise requirements. This could be something else to consider too.

Blizzard

Visit site
Thank you for that, lots of things to try! I definitely agree about keeping them going into old age.

He is an ex dressage horse and is very good in the school if you are wearing spurs, he can do canter pirouettes, shoulder in, half pass etc etc, but I dont really want to be asking too much of him until he is fitter, espec as it bores him to tears LOL!

Saying that my OH rode him this afternoon and he was acting like a 4yr old not an 18yr old, jogging everywhere wanting to go, he is quite a handful when he gets fit.

Feed wise he issuch a good doer he hardly gets anything, he didnt get much even when he was eventing TBH.

cameronD26

Visit site
Oh yes keep him going, my vet says that physically and mentally he's like a 10 year old. I only have him retired from competition as he's my baby and I've had him forever and I simply don't want him to get hurt. He's never touched a fence but there's always a first time and I think his age would mean he'd take longer to heal and I just won't take that chance. i have a a youngster to bring on and he owes me nothing.

My trainer always says just be mindful when warming up and cooling down, i know you should with any horse but the older ones are prone to being stiffer I guess. I don't have that issue yet but always careful with the warming and cooling stages. I do trot him on roads as I do think it helps keep them strong but never for very long at all. And if he ever showed signs of discomfort that would be the last time. To be fair he always wants to! A bit like 'Mr President' he does like to take control sometimes and like that horse you can let him as he'd never take advantage and that comes from trust built of a lifetimes relationship, I wouldn't swap him for anyone!