Getting tired of his bucking :(

debsey1

Visit site
When hacking out in company and decide to canter my horse gets over excited and bucks not all of the time but it's getting more frequent. I can sit 1 or 2 if stationary but become unbalance and fall off if cantering/galloping resulting in spraining my ankle last weekend. He is fine when hunting but likes to be up front. His saddle/back have been checked and okay and teeth were done in the summer. I think it's sheer exuberance/naughtiness but how do I stop him doing it? My bones now are protesting loudly from each fall and I am starting to dislike him for it as he should have more respect for me. Oh woe!

L&M

Visit site
How is he managed?

- what is he fed?
- how much turnout does he get?
- how much excercise does he get?
- is he the same in the summer?
- have you had his back loooked at?

Just to give us an idea where things may be going wrong.....

AppaloosaPonyHorse

Visit site
My cheeky ponyhorse did this a couple times, once did about 8 bucks and I lost stirrups half way through, how I stayed on I don't know lol! What my RI advised and helped was to ask for canter just before horse in front goes into canter and to really send him forward so he is thinking I am in charge and want to go on if that makes sense. Also lunging for 20mins before to get the giddiness out helps.

It takes work but way I see it is not giving him the chance to think for himself and to be always riding him on, not let him get his head down to buck easily and having him right up behind horse in front if needed.

If he does it when stationary give him a tap and send him on, much easier for him to buck at a standstill, walk or trot than canter.

I am not experienced so other advice might be better but this was issue with my boy and he also bucks sometimes if use schooling whip so been working on overcoming this with pretty good success.

Also if you think he might buck be prepared in advance and wrap your legs around and sit back and have fingers around neckstrap or strap from martingale if you use one.

Best of luck

They can be such naughty silly things

samisheen

Visit site
i am having exactly the issue, all checks done and fine. she is extremely green and gets excited. hopefully someone will have some ideas

Morland

Visit site
Could be a 'flight' response... maybe he's worried by everyone charging off, he doesn't want to be left behind. If he's thinking 'I need to be with the others' then he will get himself with them however he can, and bucking could be his way of ignoring your 'stay with me' messages to him. And you falling off probably worries him even more - suddenly you're not there to look after him (all they want is to be safe). This might be the 'why', but advising 'what to do' is harder - I have a similar problem with my horse! I don't hunt (I think that's what started his hurry/worry problem), and I ride out alone or with understanding friends so that canters are more controlled. Good luck, keep safe.

debsey1

Visit site
He's fed Mollichaff hoof kind
He is turned out every other day (winter turnout) on days he is in I ride him
I ride him every other day approx
He is naughtier in the winter months
His back was checked in late august and was fine, no problems
He is 15hh big boned Cob by the way

Elvis

Visit site
I might be worth trying to ride him on both days he's kept in and those he's out. Then you can determine if he only bucks on the days he has no turnout-it might be a whoopie I'm out of the stable reaction. Lunging him before you ride might help. I'd also get his back checked again, just to be sure, August was 3 months ago so he might need a bit of work to get him comfortable again.

L&M

Visit site
I have a similiar sounding cob so you have my sympathy!

What works with mine is work, work, work.....he only gets one day off a week and that is after hunting. He is turned out everyday and recieves mainly forage and very little hard feed. I have tried calmers which have not helped at all, but since adding salt to his feed, he has been a lot better.

Mine will buck in canter, so I try to keep at the front, and if know we are going to canter, make sure I set off first as it is the initial 'blast' that sets him off.

If I owned your horse, I would be looking at increasing the excercise. If he has to stand in for the day, put him on the horsewalker and also ride. Equally on the days he is turned out, still try to include some form of additional excercise.

I would also take him off the mollichaff hoof kind - replace it with an unmollased chaff and add a hoof supplement.

If none of this works I would be looking for some professional help - a bucking horse is no fun especially if you are coming off and are at risk of getting hurt. I would start with a thorough vet exam, with spinal x rays, and if nothing found, getting an instructors opinion.

Good luck!