Getting to greenwich 30th July XC ????

CILLA

Visit site
I have tickets for the xc day and will be travelling from Derby but having terrible problems sorting out transport for 4 people. There are no trains available according to the Olympic web site under or over ground . I have tried the park and ride web site nothing has been arranged for Greenwich according to them even though they are advertising availability ! (Have also rang them). Any ideas folks out there how i can get there. Anyone know of any coaches going direct from the Midlands. Other suggestions help please !

kateo

Visit site
I have tickets for the xc day and will be travelling from Derby but having terrible problems sorting out transport for 4 people. There are no trains available according to the Olympic web site under or over ground . I have tried the park and ride web site nothing has been arranged for Greenwich according to them even though they are advertising availability ! (Have also rang them). Any ideas folks out there how i can get there. Anyone know of any coaches going direct from the Midlands. Other suggestions help please !

Can't see why there wouldn't be any trains? Think it might be too far in advance to book a seat. Even if you can't book a seat you could still get the train. There won't be any direct trains, you need to change at St Pancras and London Bridge (approx 2.5 hours). You don't need to book / pay in advance from St Pancras to Greenwich, just get a travelcard.

Joeyjojo

Visit site
Train should be fine and probably your best bet, traffic in Greenwich is busy at the best of times so I am looking forward to chaos during the olympics (am trying to work out how I'll escape to see my horse every day!) Kateo is right, it's just too far in advance to book atm. You can go from Derby to St Pancras, then take the northern line to london bridge, where you can change to get an overground train to Greenwich (they go approx every 10 mins usually). Alternative route is northern line again and change at Bank for the DLR to Cutty Sark, but this will take a bit longer.

If take the overground train, you should be able to book a train ticket from Derby to Greenwich, which will cover your tube journey too. If you get the DLR you'll need a train ticket to St Pancras plus a tube ticket that covers zones 1 & 2.

Both Greenwich and Cutty Sark stations are less than 5mins walk from the park & entrance to the x country.

Hope that helps :)

Karran

Visit site
Don't bother with the coach. So slow! I used to study in Derby and came back to Greenwich every other weekend. Thetrainline.com will let you buy tickets from Derby - Greenwich. Look for the train that leaves Derby on the hour or 5 past and the one that leaves St Pancras at around 25 past as they are fast trains.
Its easy enough to get through to Greenwich, I reccomend doing the London Bridge Route though ^^^^^

alison247

Visit site
Let me meet you with my daughters and come with you?
I can pick you up by car at the station in london and take you there?
I live nearby greenwich and applied for four tickets but didn't get any!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
However you get there have a great day---chance of a lifetime!

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Hi

Check out www.nationalrailgamestravel.co.uk

We have tickets for the show jumping and dressage on the 8th and 9th aug and I booked our train travel on there last November. It wasn't 100% plain sailing, but when I called them they were really helpful.

However you get there, have a great time :D

RD

trottingon

Visit site
I think I read a while ago that tube travel is free between olympic venues if you show your event ticket?
I'm off to the x-country too, sooo excited!!!

muffinmunsh

Visit site
Oh so envious! I live in walking distance of the venues, have to put up with all the hassle and did not get a single ticket ... Not for Olympics or Paralympics :-(

Have a great time on the day and don't forget to enjoy the fantastic views over town, too!

ghostie

Visit site
as others have said trains won't show on the online planners this far in advance. They normally show 12 weeks before. There aren't any planned closures during the Games so you will be fine :)

Custard Cream

Visit site
The only trains available to book now are trains from Olympic city venues to other Olympic city venues. I've got my tickets from Newcastle to London for dressage already booked because of this. All other trains from non Olympic city venues will become available to book 3 months before travel date, so you'll have to wait till 30th May I think.

Tillypup

www.valleypoint.co.uk
I had a look on the Olympic travel planner website and for us (3 adults, 1 child) the train is going to be £60 for Colchester to Stratford, then DLR to Greenwich, or maybe go across the river on the ferry/boat! Very pleased with that ticket price!!

dRats

Visit site
As others said, you should be able to book as per normal to your London Terminus, and transport within London is included with your Games ticket(but check that). Can't book DLR/Tube anyway, frequent so no point! I think the CuttySark DLR station is nearer than Greenwich(town). We have stressage day 1 tickets, will take mainline Witham to Stratford, then DLR/Tube.
Heard a rumour that no food available in the park....surely not? McGloop is the official """"restauant"""""", so I'll smuggle me own sarnies!

Fools Motto

Visit site
As others said, you should be able to book as per normal to your London Terminus, and transport within London is included with your Games ticket(but check that). Can't book DLR/Tube anyway, frequent so no point! I think the CuttySark DLR station is nearer than Greenwich(town). We have stressage day 1 tickets, will take mainline Witham to Stratford, then DLR/Tube.
Heard a rumour that no food available in the park....surely not? McGloop is the official """"restauant"""""", so I'll smuggle me own sarnies!

I was planning on taking my own sarnies anyway, and know they have to at least serve drinks as something about not allowed to take in large water bottles ??

I'm going up to london on the day before XC, stay with my brother and then somehow manage to get DLR... possibly from Bank?
W F-P has told my friend to be there early as very limited space?!!:eek:
Still, looking forward to it and hope it is going to be a dry day!?!!

Joeyjojo

Visit site
Cutty Sark DLR is slightly closer than Greenwich DLR (which is the same place as Greenwich rail station). Really it's minutes though, both are a short (5 min) walk from the park.

For the test event you could bring in your own food (which is good as Greenwich has a fab market which has tons of food stalls) but there were also a few food stands in the park too selling sandwiches, coffee/tea etc so I imagine it'll be similar for the real event. Not sure about water/drinks etc as we bought inside (can't remember if that was because we had to or just disorganised!)

katiey

Visit site
Im going to the show jumping not xc - but booked train tickets last night. Going to Maze Hill station (short walk from park) from Newbury. Ticket prices were amazing cost £10.20 return journey :) I went through the olympics web page and onto travel, as normal travel train sites aren't booking that far ahead yet! x

Dave282B

Visit site
We too have XC tickets but the online train prices were stupid money £500 or so for 3 adults and one under 18 from Hull . So unless it improves it's long drive to just inside the M25 then train

katiey

Visit site
Look on nationalrailgamestravel.co.uk

That where i bought my tickets... great value and lots time options.

Custard Cream

Visit site
I'm fairly sure that no food or drink are allowed to be taken into the park....heard this on the inside...but am sure it'll change many time before the actual event.

JVB

Visit site
Slightly different question, but what time are you booking trains to go home? Getting tickets sorted at moment but not sure when will get off the grounds?

katiey

Visit site
Slightly different question, but what time are you booking trains to go home? Getting tickets sorted at moment but not sure when will get off the grounds?

I booked mine for 6.15pm (show jumping finishes at 4.15pm) as then thought plenty of time in case runs over and also to get out without made rush! :)

Custard Cream

Visit site
I think you can book your time to come home but you get 3 hours grace to get on any train after the booked on to get home. I know that I've booked mine to leave KX at 7pm but it states if you're held up then you have 3 hours after to get home...

"Tickets for the return journey, i.e. from London or one of the co-Host cities, are valid for travel at any time on the date shown on your ticket and up to midday the following day."

lilyoftheincas

Visit site
Oh so envious! I live in walking distance of the venues, have to put up with all the hassle and did not get a single ticket ... Not for Olympics or Paralympics :-(

Have a great time on the day and don't forget to enjoy the fantastic views over town, too!

Same with me! So frustrating, esp when one of my friends is going to the eventing and asked me the other day: "What's eventing?"

:mad:

CILLA

Visit site
Thanks for all the good advice very helpful when you know your way around London unlike me ! Looks like train is the best option as opposed to coach which will take a long time.