Getting very fussy horse to eat very nasty medicine..

BBP

Visit site
Suggestions?

The medicine is tiny little granules like couscous size. It cannot be mixed with water or dissolved to stick it to feed or syringe it, otherwise the protective coating is dissolved and it won't make it through stomach acid. If just put into dry feed it just falls to the bottom of the bucket and he leaves it all. He's not really meant to have any extra sugar but he does need his medicine so have sacrificed a bit.

So far I have tried adding: liquorice, mint, jam, molassed chaff, soaked grass nuts with it sprinkled over, golden syrup, all the stuff he normally loves. But I have ruined dinner time and he won't eat any of it. If he does touch it he spits it all out. The only thing that remotely tempts him is if I feed it on slices of apple and hand feed it to him, but I think the apple will loose its novelty value fast and I'm going to be completely stuck. He also has to have his vitamin e so I can't have him refusing to eat anything.

I'm going to try reducing the dose and introducing it more gradually but I tasted it myself today and it is foul!!! And the taste sticks in your mouth and throat for ages! I don't blame the poor pony for not eating it.

JillA

Visit site
How much of it does he have to have? Have you tried hollowing out a carrot or apple quarter and putting it in the middle? With most horses those don't even touch the sides, it is swallowed before it is tasted. Might get wise on the third or fourth shot though. Or can you add it to runny honey and feed it on a bit of bread?

be positive

Visit site
Can you not mix it with syrup or apple sauce and syringe it in if you do it quickly the coating should not dissolve, I cannot see any difference to doing that and putting it into feed with the tasty additions he won't eat, what is the recommended way of giving it?

BBP

Visit site
I did think about making holes in apples and hoping he doesn't crunch it too much, but I'm worried if he does get a mouthful that is just medicine he will go off it all together, so I need a back up plan! The marmite sandwich could work, unless he's in the 'hate it' marmite camp. I tried jam today thinking that might do be he refused it.

The medicine is about the equivalent of 2-3 sachets of bute but more granular. He has to be on it for 2 months so I need to find something that works!

BBP

Visit site
Can you not mix it with syrup or apple sauce and syringe it in if you do it quickly the coating should not dissolve, I cannot see any difference to doing that and putting it into feed with the tasty additions he won't eat, what is the recommended way of giving it?

They say to just sprinkle it over the feed as a top dressing and that it's really palatable, but he disagrees! I think like you say if I can get it down his throat fast enough even if it means in a syringe then it's better than being spat all over a wet floor or mixed with jam and getting soggy anyway cos it takes so long to eat.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I used to mix my mares up with apple sauce, literally went through a jar every other day but she ate it so I accepted it! I gave that in a small feed, then once that was gone she could have her normal feed

be positive

Visit site
Can you take a price of carrot and bore a reservoir in it with a knife and put it in the hole?

I tried this to get prascend into a pony, he took it a few times but once he had bitten into it and tasted the nasty medicine he stopped taking any treats by hand for ages, this sounds far more than a tiny tablet so unlikely to work for long, mine wouldn't take bread, didn't like marmite so the only way was to dissolve and syringe.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm wondering whether you could get a big syringe, with a wide end/chop the end off and fire them down him. He will hate you but :p

like so with the end chopped off?
China_50ml_syringe20115261718125.jpg

BBP

Visit site
yes, it's quite a lot given how manky it tastes, plus he gets 10 big tablets a day too. I can just about get him to eat them but the other one is a challenge. Vet is adamant that dissolving it will mean it won't work so well. I'm wondering if molasses or black treacle will be a strong enough flavour to mask it and be more appetising without being as watery as apple sauce but I'm not sure that would syringe.

be positive

Visit site
Giving this further thought surely if he eats it in the feed it will be partly dissolved by the saliva made during the process of chewing, if it is mixed up and squirted straight down it should be if anything less dissolved than it will be if he eats it, I may be missing something here but I really cannot see where the vet is coming from, as long as it stays in the sauce/ syrup for as short a time as possible and is not warmed up or overly mixed it should not actually lose the outer coating, maybe you need something with no acidity, apple sauce would be acidic, for it to remain stable.
As it is presumably for his ulcers and much the same as Gastrogard that is syringed in then that must work with whatever is used to mix it to the consistency that can easily be administered.

JillA

Visit site
I'm wondering whether you could get a big syringe, with a wide end/chop the end off and fire them down him. He will hate you but :p

like so with the end chopped off?
China_50ml_syringe20115261718125.jpg

I have a lamb colostrum syringe I used to use with apple puree and dissolved Prascend tablets for my old and very canny mare, do you think you can mix them with apple puree? It has a long wide nozzle, long enough to get fairly well back onto the tongue
http://www.tfmsuperstore.co.uk/shop...eeder-for-lambs-syringe-plastic-tub-9713.html (ditch the tube, you won't need that)
You will have to be strong and determind after the first time, maybe follow it up with his feed or his favourite treat. I used to grab my mare over her nose, shove the syringe in, press the plunger and hang on until she had swallowed - a confined space helps!
Otherwise ask your vet if there is another way of getting it into him - maybe they make a paste or long acting IM injection?

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have previously used some porridge oats mixed with honey or syrup and mixed with the medication, then rolled into little treat shaped lumps. The medicine doesnt dissolve but mixes in and isnt noticeable. For anything really fussy I made up a non medicated batch and fed those to the other horses first thus inciting a treat related frenzy :lol: If that doesnt work you can by buy syringes with no needles on like others have posted from Boots for 50p :)

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Suggestions?

The medicine is tiny little granules like couscous size. It cannot be mixed with water or dissolved to stick it to feed or syringe it, otherwise the protective coating is dissolved and it won't make it through stomach acid. If just put into dry feed it just falls to the bottom of the bucket and he leaves it all. He's not really meant to have any extra sugar but he does need his medicine so have sacrificed a bit.

So far I have tried adding: liquorice, mint, jam, molassed chaff, soaked grass nuts with it sprinkled over, golden syrup, all the stuff he normally loves. But I have ruined dinner time and he won't eat any of it. If he does touch it he spits it all out. The only thing that remotely tempts him is if I feed it on slices of apple and hand feed it to him, but I think the apple will loose its novelty value fast and I'm going to be completely stuck. He also has to have his vitamin e so I can't have him refusing to eat anything.

I'm going to try reducing the dose and introducing it more gradually but I tasted it myself today and it is foul!!! And the taste sticks in your mouth and throat for ages! I don't blame the poor pony for not eating it.
Shame no one looks here or wants to up date it with their ideas :>> (http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/veterinary.html

So maybe I need to copy and paste it each time

H & H MEMBERS SAY:

either Yogurt to give the bute/ Danilon
also diluting the Danilon in warm water and squirting it into mouth.
Diluting the Danilon is speedy beet juice
Give him a sandwich with Diabetic jam
is he likes chocolate you could try diabetic biscuits crushed and mix danilon in
sugar free apple juice
Mix with pureed baby food, like apple and carrot, and syringe into back of mouth. My mare loved the flavour so much that after a few days she was practically opening her mouth for me to syringe it in!
You could make your own puree by peeling and cooking apples until they are mush.
Get a bowl, big glob of molasses, little splash of water + drugs, mix it all up to a thick black gloomy paste and syringe it. I find the antibiotics (presume Equipalazone/ Norodine/ similar) take 2-3 50ml syringes full as there's just so much of it but with enough molasses they don't mind
Cut the core out of the apple and stuff it in there then give them the core after the apple to take the taste away
In molasses in their feed
Toasted marmite sandwich, the strong smell of the marmite disguises the smell and taste of any meds, is good for them and my 2 love it. (the marmite)
Warm bran mash with apple sauce mixed in it.

Taking pills

.My mare took pills this way:i bought the fattest carrots I could find. I would cut into thirds.

Then I would core the carrot, keeping the core. Then I would core a bigger hole, put the pill in, and use the first core as a "cap".
Depending on the size, you could maybe break into 2 pieces. Put 1/2 in each of the 2 bigger pieces. Feed the first with pill, second with no
pill, third with pill.I would also cut an apple into thirds, cut out the seeds. Then I would core a three-quarter hole into the apple skin kinda deep, stuff in the pill, and flip the apple skin back over the pill. If she was suspicious after the 1st piece with pill, the second was okay, then the third had the other 1/2 of the pill.

2. One thing I did to give pills to a horse before was to cut an apple into 4 quarters, then core out a small side of one of the quarters,
put the pill in and then hide it back in the apple with the cored out part. I wonder if this would also work with tossing it in a carrot or
not.I'd also ponder if there is something in needle injecting form and give her a shot instead. I hate it when the horses are major
pooterheads and won't take medicine.

3. Boil Water and add to Alfalfa, Hay, or cubes then let cool. Add crushed medication to the mix and let soak until the medication smell is gone.

4. . I have 2 suggestions for Pills: Crush it, mix in applesauce, put it in a syringe, get the wormer bit thing and put it in. Crush it, soak it in with Bran mash/applesauce or soak into beat pulp Well, that's all I got....other than I don't know if you have a bridle with a dropped nose band...use the noseband like one of those prissy dressage riders...so she can't spit it out...and keep her head up...might be a pain...but may keep her from spitting it out...Hope this might help.

5. I always crush the meds, mix with applesauce and then administer thru an old worming paste tube as I would worming paste. Keep the mixture fairly thick.
If you can, keep her head up for a few mins after administering and rub her neck so she is encouraged to swallow.
I usually administer a shot of applesauce to my horses between times just to give them a pleasant experience. That way worming time is not such a drama! I have been told that it is not the taste so much that puts them off. It is the smell. Freezing the meds for a short time before administering will, I believe,help to eliminate the smell. However, I have never tried this so can't be sure it will make a difference. If you tried this you would have to mix it with whatever medium you are going to use to administer the meds. Freeze the mixture and then feed quickly before it has a chance to warm up.

6. I have yet to meet a horse that does love bananas. Just shove the pill in a big hunk of banana, and it should go right down - because they are kinda slimey, they tend not to chew it, and because they are sweet, they don't notice the pill, because it's in the middle!
Have you tried desolving a sweet hard candy in warm water or just melting sugar in warm water to make a concentraed syurp? If she will take that with the vicks on her nose she may not detect the crushed pills,
I would even go so far as to make a white bread 'dough' that is taking whitebread and kneeding a slice- no crust- and it becomes soft and mushie. Then mixing it with the sugar syrup and the very very finely crushed pills. she may just take that.

7. Try Cocosoya oil, it smells and tastes very palatable (Charlie DID taste it). You may be able to get smaller quantities. I got a sample from Uckele. It can very easily mask the taste of meds. I mix any of Bambi's meds (crushed pills) into her feed and mix it with oil so that it sticks. If Misty is that picky though, you need to mix it in with a flavored oil or sauce or syrup, etc. Try bute paste. Because you only give such a small amount, there is virtually nothing left for her to spit out by the time she figures out what you've done lol. Bambi always tries to give me the OMG WORMER!!! look and goes to spit it out but then gets a puzzled look

8. mix with peanut butter then put it in her mouth using a wooden spoon preferably on her palate, then she has to eat it I had a horse here who's personality was the same. Wouldn't take treats even. So when I had to give him antibiotics I tried about everything. Including buying colon syringes and mixing molasses and applesauce to squirt in the crushed pill but the p.b. worked the best. If she bites the wooden spoon the dollar general sells plastic wooden spoon look

9. I have one suggestion.... try a ball of peanut butter and grain in your hand, like a gooey cookie. Not a huge ball, and do not encourage her to eat it all at once... I used this with my silly gelding and this is the ONLY way he would take pills. I would crush them a bit, mush them into the peanut butter and roll in some grain. I hand fed them like a treat, and sometimes with no pills. It is hard with a horse not accustomed to treats!

10. my old guy who will take nothing in a syringe or if it looks like it may have meds. Take about a cup of grain (I use safe choice) Mix it with about a tablespoon of vegetable oil and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Crush the pill as fine as you can and mix it together. Then mix that with her regular grain. My guy only gets 2 cups a day. I have not found anything he will not take this way.

11. Try melting the pills in water, mixing it with apple juice, and soaking her grain with the apple sauce/water mixture. I mean, really soaking it, so that the ratio of meds to liquid/grain is very low.

12. I also use Gatorade to hide or flavor medications. When I give a medication as a paste, I put in a fair bit of powdered Gatorade to help conceal the flavor. Dissolve the pills in strawberry Kool-Aid mix and water. I'm told some horses will slurp this right out of the bowl. Another friend reports that her picky eater loves his medicine if it's mixed with vanilla yogurt.

13 Mix bute with mint-flavored Maalox - in addition to making it easier to administer, the Maalox coats the stomach and helps protect it against the effects of the medication. Mix to a consistency of toothpaste and it will be easier to dispense.

14. I have a friend that used a coffe grinder to grind up the pills, it made them into a fine powder and then used a syringe w/syrup, etc. The other thing I've had luck with is peanut butter w/the pills ground up in them.

15. I used to work for a lady who raised show halter horses. When we needed to give meds, we would crush the pills and add them to yogurt (the yogurt was good for tummy enzymes too). The yogurt was them loaded into a syringe that we had cut the end off of. We then poked the syringe in the corner of their mouth and as far back as we could, before pushing the yogurt in. The colts seemed to like the yogurt (most of the time) and it made our lives easier.

gnubee

Visit site
I note you've said regular feed and speedy beet don't work- have you tried a molassed coarse mix. To get panacur 5 day into my mare I mixed it with my molassed foal mix as she wouldn't touch it in her regular cubes. Your feed store will probably give you a couple of days worth as a sample for palatability so you don't end up with a bag he won't eat. The mix should be sticky enough to hold granules rather than them all ending up in the bottom, and some chopped apples or carrots may further disguise the taste. If he ignores it at first try leaving it in for a bit- my girl is very suspicious of new treats but got into it quite fast when left alone with it. I think it not being her regular feed helped too cos she didn't know it tasted wierd.

Leo Walker

Visit site
It's a shame that most of those ideas have either been mentioned or a defunct because the OP specifically said she cannot do any grinding or adding to too much liquid....

And also diabetic jam isnt recommended for people never mind horses with issues like KatPTS! And bute is different to a granule medication that cant be dissolved in water.

rara007

Visit site
Can you leave it as granules add it to custard or molasses in a 60ml syringe and give it to him straight away? No dissolving the granules will fit out the end.

BBP

Visit site
Thank you all for all your suggestions, there are some ideas there I haven't thought of yet so I will run through the ones that I think might suit him. The horse also has RER and elevated liver enzymes so I do have to be cautious what I give him, but I'm open to all ideas and will filter any unsuitable ones out.

The medication is Omeprazole granules for gastric ulcers, plus sucralfate tablets for the same. The granules have an enteric coating to assist in releasing the drug at the right part of digestion, gastroguards buffering is different so it's in a syringable form.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Mint essence? I added this to my forest run mares food when she had to have antibiotics. She wouldn't touch anything with medication in but gobbled up grub with the mint in.

Auslander

Visit site
You can syringe molasses more easily if you draw up (then squirt out) some oil first. It coats the inside of the syringe, and stops the molasses sticking.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would be mixing it with something sticky and squirting down his throat , but the issue with that is they don't remain compliant for long and it's a drug you will be using for a far while .
Is the drug available in an easier to dose form ( like paste ) it's worth asking the vets

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If not available in a paste I think I would go for be positive's suggestions with the addition of one of those easy wormer bit things because let's face it no horse is going to let you do it every day for 2 months.

I used apple sauce for Daisy when I first got her and she wouldn't eat danilon. Not ideal now I know what I know but I suppose you've got to find the best solution for the issue in less than ideal circumstances.

If you use molasses you'll need to warm them up a bit as they won't syringe when cold.

Really feel for you but I know you'll find a way round it!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It's a shame that most of those ideas have either been mentioned or a defunct because the OP specifically said she cannot do any grinding or adding to too much liquid....

And as for the banana idea, obviously the poster hasn't met my Draft mare. Until I offered her banana, I thought she had never met a calorie she didn't like!

I think, as you really need to get this stuff in him, OP, I would use something like a molassed mix. He will probably be so surprised that he wolfs it down before you can realise your mistake and remove the bucket.

And just to make you feel a bit better about it, I persisted with trying to get bute in jam sandwiches into my Shire mare. She kept dropping the sandwich on the stable floor, evntually she got so fed up of bute flavoured jam that she threw the sandwich into her water bucket, from where of course, it was impossible to resurrect it - talk about making your feelings clear!