Getting very fussy horse to eat very nasty medicine..

PorkChop

Visit site
I had the same problem with these granules, problem is they just can't be added to liquid and they obviously taste disgusting. I found tablets much much easier!

Hope you find something that works, I know how annoying and stressful it is when you just want to get the medicine down them!

JillA

Visit site
Are these the human version? I had some for one of mine, in the capsule form, and I opened each capsule and emptied them in his feed - never had any issues with palatability. Maybe worth speaking to your vet about getting the human version if that isn't what you have.

(They might tell you the human version doesn't have the coating to enable it to survive the acid environment of the stomach. I fed mine with bicarb to reduce acidity)

Last edited:

BBP

Visit site
We have a winner! A little slug of molasses on a handful of chaff, granules sprinkled on top and a quick mix and that's very tasty thanks very much! It's not ideal to be giving him molasses given he has ulcers and how hard I try to keep his diet low sugar, but if it gets his medicine in him quickly and fuss free without syringes etc then for two months it will have to do.