Getting weight on older horse.

tiga71

Visit site
I am trying to help a neglected horse that is underweight and a bit wormy. Not starved, but he is about 20 and needs some weight on. I have done a worm count and he will be wormed shortly.

I have permission from YO to feed and worm him and over last month or so have been feeding him soaked grass pellets and fibre nuggets twice a day. I had the grass pellets so just used them up to get some food into him over the very cold weather. I am getting to the end of the grass pellets so need to get something for him. But ideally cheap as I need to be feeding another horse like a hole in the head. Mine are good doers so none of their feed will suit.

I really want to get him through to the proper spring grass and then just keep an eye on him from now on.

Equi

Visit site
Adlib forage as a start. Speedi beet/fibrebeet is cheap, and if they have no other "issues" add a bag of conditioning mix...its again cheap - as long as they have no cushings/lami issues etc. But who owns this horse? Why are they not feeding it? Don't get too invested unless you are preparing to be to carer.

dorsetladette

Visit site
my go to cheap weight gain feed is sugarbeet, oats and linseed lozenges. Works wonders and cheap as chips. Sugarbeet is about £6 a bag, rolled oats about the same and the lozenges £20 for 20kg but you only feed 70g as a maintenance level so a bag lasts ages.

paddi22

Visit site
another vote for equerry condition mash and its great value. you would definitely need to get the feed checked as you could feeding non stop and the horse won't get anything out of it if the teeth aren't functioning correctly./

tiga71

Visit site
Thanks all.

Horse is starting to look better. Worm count wasn't too bad and is now wormed. Lice have gone so he is much more comfortable.

He is now on sugar beet, conditioning cubes and some oil. I am going to cut his feed back once the grass comes through. His coat is already looking healthier and he has a spring in his step that I have never seen before. He even canters over to me and I have only ever seen him canter when he has been chased by the others.

My lot are due the dentist in April so I am going to get his teeth done as I think that will make a big difference to his comfort.

Think he has cataracts as he struggles to see the feed bowl and I have to keep calling him so he can find where I am exactly. I can't solve his problems but I can make his last years a bit more comfortable.

Owner is in another county and he has basically just been left. He had gone a bit feral as no one touched him really but he has quickly got used to being looked after. A few people have warned me to be careful but I have YO permission and tbh, I can't just shut my eyes to it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks all.

Horse is starting to look better. Worm count wasn't too bad and is now wormed. Lice have gone so he is much more comfortable.

He is now on sugar beet, conditioning cubes and some oil. I am going to cut his feed back once the grass comes through. His coat is already looking healthier and he has a spring in his step that I have never seen before. He even canters over to me and I have only ever seen him canter when he has been chased by the others.

My lot are due the dentist in April so I am going to get his teeth done as I think that will make a big difference to his comfort.

Think he has cataracts as he struggles to see the feed bowl and I have to keep calling him so he can find where I am exactly. I can't solve his problems but I can make his last years a bit more comfortable.

Owner is in another county and he has basically just been left. He had gone a bit feral as no one touched him really but he has quickly got used to being looked after. A few people have warned me to be careful but I have YO permission and tbh, I can't just shut my eyes to it.

He sounds so much better well done for helping him his lucky your there for him, if it's any consolation I would have to do the same please keep us updated, a few pictures would be nice and be good to compare his progress.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Thanks all.

Well done you! I would be the same. I’m the one that feeds and worms and defleas the yard cat and makes sure his night radiators are on especially as he’s getting older. I think your only issue is if the owner suddenly turns up and does something upsetting after you’ve become attached. That would worry me.

Griffin

Visit site
Well done for helping him. I can't stand by either (currently feeding and rugging one that has been left).

You sound like you are doing a great job. I would look at trying to make sure he is getting all the right vitamins and minerals if possible. A powder vitamin and mineral supplement is fairly cheap to mix in.

Good luck!

tiga71

Visit site
Smurf was put to sleep today. I am actually incredibly relieved as was in very poor shape. He started going downhill a month ago and I just couldn't keep weight on him, no matter what I fed him.

This last week I knew something was wrong and I was giving him but twice a day while I could arrange help for him. The vet finally came today and believes he had ataxia or a brain tumour. He put him down on welfare grounds. I assume that the absent owner has been notified. I have some choice words for her but I don't know who she is.

I have spent the last week with sleepless nights and crying in the field, trying to get him help and I feel like a weight has been lifted. He was a lovely chap and deserved better than humans gave him. At least he knew love in the last months of his life.

I wrote this poem this morning when I was still worried they would try to 'save' him.

Let him go.

His eye is dull,
And filled with pain,
He is too sore,
To run again.

His belly aches,
It hurts to eat,
He just waits now,
For death to meet.

He sees the humans,
Come and go,
He remembers love,
He used to know.

But no one comes,
For him today.
No one comes,
On any day.

He is the horse,
They threw away,
The horse I see,
And I dismay.

They say “Don’t look,
Just shut your eyes.”
I cannot. My heart,
It cries.

The help I give,
It matters none.
It is too late,
To save this one.

For God’s sake, please,
Please let him go,
And save him from,
A death so slow.

paddi22

Visit site
aw so sorry to hear that. he was very lucky to have someone who cared for him and looked after him near the end, and gave him a dignified last few weeks. you should be very proud of yourself, you did a great thing.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
such a shame that you have had to go through this but please feel proud that you have helped him and he is now happy and not suffering any more......hope the owner realises how much you have done

Chappie

Visit site
I'm sorry for your loss, but glad you cared for him in his last months, I would of done the same.