Getting young horse more forward

DappleGreyDaydreamer

Visit site
I have a rising 6 year old Connemara who I've had for about 5 months, and lately we've been getting some lessons and working a lot on our schooling on the flat. He's extremely honest, he moves well, is willing to learn and never naps, bucks etc But I've found that as long as I have my short whip to hand, even if I never use it, he's the perfect responsive ride, but as soon as I try to ride without it, he suddenly becomes very difficult to get going.

It's frustrating, as I always said that I never wanted to become dependent on a whip, and I still very much do not, so does anyone have any suggestions for "weaning" him off the whip, for want of a better word? Any input is greatly appreciated, he's my first horse :)

Tash88

Visit site
Hi, your new horse sounds lovely! But best to sort these things out early, as sometimes (certainly not in all cases) a reluctance to go forward can be a precursor to more nappy behaviour. I wouldn't not hold a whip, but just use it when absolutely necessary, to back up a leg aid (i.e. tap just behind your leg).

In terms of making your horse more forward, what I've found has helped with my horse is going right back to basics, and asking him to move from the slightest leg aid, i.e. a squeeze from your calf and try not to use your heels. If that doesn't work then a sharp, positive tap with the whip (use a schooling whip rather than a short whip) and take the pressure away as soon as he moves. Then don't use your legs at all, easier said than done, until he stops without you asking him to. Just go large around the school and don't use your legs at all. Do this in walk first, with a few walk/halt/walk transitions, then in trot. It may feel really sluggish at first but your horse will learn quickly and they respond well to not being 'nagged' as then they know exactly what you are for and how to achieve it. Similarly, you can also practise this when lunging; only ask for more (or anything) when then stop, i.e. break into trot from canter. You will soon find you have a much more forward horse and it has certainly worked for mine, who used to be quite nappy. He is now much more willing and gives a much safer and secure feeling which is lovely.

I know it sounds really simple but it is effective, and forwardness is just SO important. Good luck!

PorkChop

Visit site
Have you tried taking your legs away from your sides and giving a decent kick when he doesn't respond? Possibly sounds a bit full on, however, what happens is they anticipate a kick and will learn to go forwards when you take your legs away from their sides, if that makes sense.

We have a Connie x that is a lazy monkey and this works, or else she would happily go along making you work harder than her! Ultimately it is always down to consistency and training, but it might get you going in the right direction :)

eggs

Visit site
I'd second what LJR says. Give an aid, wait a second if you get no response immediately give a decent kick. You must allow your horse to go forward so don't restrict with your hands even if the first few strides are quicker than you would want.

I find that doing lots of transitions eg. trot five strides, walk two, trot five strides, etc works very well.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
PLEASE don't kick your horse. A crude aid is not going to teach your horse to respond to light leg signals, what you need is consistency and a light touch. Always back up your leg aid with an immediate (and firm, in the beginning) use of the schooling whip. You also need time to see improvements, so keep doing it until he gets the point.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Get him out hacking!! The natives get bored very easily, so do your schooling on a hack, leg yielding is a good one, and halt, stand, reinback and forward into trot. They soon get more reactive. Nagging with the leg just deadens them more. Chris Bartle told me years ago that if a horse can feel a fly landing on it, then you shouldn't have to be heavy with the leg. He always said to use a really quick flick of the whip, then allow forward, no matter how fast and praise. If you are trying to ride your horse into an "outline" by holding the hands, and using your legs, you are contradicting yourself, and the horse will just switch off.

khalino

Visit site
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread because I'm having the same problems.
Even out hacking, he's behind the leg, drags his feet and even a decent kick doesn't work, and yes, it's a crude aid.
I've invested in a schooling whip, and yes, I'm having lessons, my trainer is going to ride him etc etc.
Nothing inspires or motivated my boy at all either, so I'll keep an eye on this.
I didn't want to become dependent on a ship either, but he's left me no choice.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
TBH, it sounds asif he goes forward perfectly well, so long as you carrry a whip, you don't have to do anything else with it, so most of the advice above is redundant. I agree with the advice to get him out hacking but there is nothing wrong with carrying a whip, in fact when hacking it can be very useful to take up space on the road and make sure that cars give you enough room.
So unless you actually struggle to carry the whip and hold your reins properly, stop worrying about it.

Luci07

Visit site
Hack out with a forward marching horse. Mine really walks out and he has in turn taught a couple of the dawdlers on the yard to really walk on out as well!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Hack out with a forward marching horse. Mine really walks out and he has in turn taught a couple of the dawdlers on the yard to really walk on out as well!

But surely the problem is that he doesn't listen to the RIDER, not another horse.....

Simon Battram

Visit site
Totally agree with Cortez: The answer is certainly not to kick OR to hack out. This is a simple training issue that with time, consistent riding and patience will be sorted in the school.

I would ask the first and most basic question: Has anyone shown this horse what the leg aids actually mean? Its all too easy to assume that the horse knows that a leg aid means forward....

- Make sure the horse is relaxed and calm.
- Check saddle is central (and fits..).
- Check rider position, alignment and suppleness
- Have a soft light contact
Then ask with a light leg aid, if he goes forward leave him alone. If he doesn't answer don't kick or go stronger but use a double or treble light leg aid. The harder you use your leg the more the seat and thigh tightens which blocks his back. So a quick tap tap tap with a light lower leg. If he still doesn't listen then light leg aid with a tap with the whip.

In this way you will transfer the aid from the whip to the leg. You say he is honest, which he is so give him a chance to twig what it is you want....

soulfull

Visit site
Hi, your new horse sounds lovely! But best to sort these things out early, as sometimes (certainly not in all cases) a reluctance to go forward can be a precursor to more nappy behaviour. I wouldn't not hold a whip, but just use it when absolutely necessary, to back up a leg aid (i.e. tap just behind your leg).

In terms of making your horse more forward, what I've found has helped with my horse is going right back to basics, and asking him to move from the slightest leg aid, i.e. a squeeze from your calf and try not to use your heels. If that doesn't work then a sharp, positive tap with the whip (use a schooling whip rather than a short whip) and take the pressure away as soon as he moves. Then don't use your legs at all, easier said than done, until he stops without you asking him to. Just go large around the school and don't use your legs at all. Do this in walk first, with a few walk/halt/walk transitions, then in trot. It may feel really sluggish at first but your horse will learn quickly and they respond well to not being 'nagged' as then they know exactly what you are for and how to achieve it. Similarly, you can also practise this when lunging; only ask for more (or anything) when then stop, i.e. break into trot from canter. You will soon find you have a much more forward horse and it has certainly worked for mine, who used to be quite nappy. He is now much more willing and gives a much safer and secure feeling which is lovely.

I know it sounds really simple but it is effective, and forwardness is just SO important. Good luck!
This is by far the best way

soulfull

Visit site
Totally agree with Cortez: The answer is certainly not to kick OR to hack out. This is a simple training issue that with time, consistent riding and patience will be sorted in the school.

I would ask the first and most basic question: Has anyone shown this horse what the leg aids actually mean? Its all too easy to assume that the horse knows that a leg aid means forward....

- Make sure the horse is relaxed and calm.
- Check saddle is central (and fits..).
- Check rider position, alignment and suppleness
- Have a soft light contact
Then ask with a light leg aid, if he goes forward leave him alone. If he doesn't answer don't kick or go stronger but use a double or treble light leg aid. The harder you use your leg the more the seat and thigh tightens which blocks his back. So a quick tap tap tap with a light lower leg. If he still doesn't listen then light leg aid with a tap with the whip.

In this way you will transfer the aid from the whip to the leg. You say he is honest, which he is so give him a chance to twig what it is you want....

As always fab advise. Simon is right so many young horse do not truly understand the leg

khalino

Visit site
I've found if I ride with an "open thigh", and I have to physically and mentally relax, I have to make an effort to relax my body and open it up, because I was unknowingly blocking my horses movement because I was so tense. This now helps him respond with just a little squeeze now, and he's so responsive to my shift in weight, I drop a shoulder and he shifts.